Oconee County Developments & Updates

GSP Tiger

Oconee County is South Carolina's westernmost county. Surrounded by the Seneca, Chattooga, and Savannah Rivers, Oconee County is indeed a beautiful place to be.

Wahalla/West Union, Westminister, and Seneca will continue to grow because of the great parks and recreational activities within the Sumter National Forest and Clemson University continuing to bring more people in.

Is anything going up in the Oconee County area?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Oconee County in Greenville's MSA?

And how do you pronounce the name? I've never known how.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oconee County is not a part of the Greenville metro area yet, but it is considered part of the upstate and the Interstate 85 corridor.

Oconee (O-cone-nee) is one of the many names/words in the area left by the Cherokee Indians. Others include Chattooga, Seneca, Wahalla, Tamasee, Keowee, and Jocasee.

Clemson is the reason Seneca continues to grow eastward. Signs of progress I have seen was Old Clemson Highway being realigned for a cross intersection with US 76/123/SC 28. I think a Subway has gone up there.

A little westward when you get into Seneca, Bi-Lo and Ingle's have both built new stores within the past four years.

• 1 month later...

Seneca is actually growing more towards the west..towards Westminster. The new (ish) Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes and all that mess is over on the western portion. Not really much going on Downtown but the Alley area of Downtown is really nice and quaint. Seneca is also growing north towards Walhalla. I think most of the growth on the east is coming FROM Clemson.

I was just in Seneca a few nights ago. The retail district, the western side, is really booming. Applewood Shopping Center in that area is not faring well from Winn Dixie's closing and a K-Mart that cannot decide its actual store closing date.

Strong unconfirmed rumors are circulating that Bi-Lo plans to move into the vacating Winn Dixie in Westminister. Winn Dixie was Westminister's only supermarket for some decades. I'm unaware that Bi-Lo has plans for a store in the Wahalla/West Union area, but that market is being looked at.

• 5 months later...

I only have one problem with this project- Seneca is goin gto extend a sewer line out to this building to serve it that will be several miles long... for one building. That cost is too high for one building (even though the building probably couldn't be built otherwise). With the incredibly high number of retirees locating near Lake Keowee I see this project filling up pretty quickly.

I only have one problem with this project- Seneca is goin gto extend a sewer line out to this building to serve it that will be several miles long... for one building. That cost is too high for one building (even though the building probably couldn't be built otherwise). With the incredibly high number of retirees locating near Lake Keowee I see this project filling up pretty quickly.

I didn't re-read the article, but I think it siad that the developers plan on paying for the sewer line.

Apparently it is up to the developers to get the necessary permits and paperwork completed before a moratorium on all multi-family housing projects near shorelines takes effect in six weeks. In essence, until the moratorium is in place, the county is powerless to stop the developer from beginning the project.

Interesting Article

Anyone know which penninsula this project will go on?

I'm reallt torn on how I feel about these condos. On one hand, these condos would have incredible views and be in a stunning setting. On the other, I think our lakes should be protected....they are part of what make the Greenville / Upstate area great! Not sure.....hmmmm..... :unsure:

• 2 months later...

Archived