IN PROGRESS: RI Tool

Yet another rehab project that I don't think has been mentioned. The former RI Tool building, a historic Civil War era mill, on West River Street near Stop and Shop, is being converted to office and lab space.

I drove by there today and saw a sign indicating that administrative offices for Lifespan's labs were going to be located there.

Artinruins has some pics:

http://www.artinruins.com/arch/stillinuse/ritool/index.php

• 3 months later...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Office of Secretary of State Matt Brown announced plans to relocate the Corporations and Elections and Civics divisions to a new facility at 148 West River St. in Providence. The new location will better serve all Rhode Islanders with expanded free parking for all visitors and a convenient site near all major transportation routes including public transportation and it is just minutes from Downcity Providence.

http://www.sec.state.ri.us/PressReleases/P...1-08.6666226714

http://www.projo.com/metro/content/projo_2...ve.25d5fb1.html

I wonder if the North Main St. building that the Secretary of State will soon vacate will get a much needed facelift and be turned into condos/high end restaurant space. It's certainly in a prime location as it's right across the street from Mill's Tavern.

As for the RI Tool property, it looks like, in addition to the Secretary of State offices, there is a lot of medical space being developed there as well as further south on West River where that ultramodern medical office bldg is going up. Given all the vacant land there, it will be interesting to see how the area develops in the next couple of years.

The Office of Secretary of State Matt Brown announced plans to relocate the Corporations and Elections and Civics divisions to a new facility at 148 West River St. in Providence. The new location will better serve all Rhode Islanders with expanded free parking for all visitors and a convenient site near all major transportation routes including public transportation and it is just minutes from Downcity Providence.

http://www.sec.state.ri.us/PressReleases/P...1-08.6666226714

Given all the vacant land there, it will be interesting to see how the area develops in the next couple of years.

There's a huge vacant lot there next to the P.O. where the Quebor Co use to be before being demolished. The P.O. bought it and rumor is that a modern automated/robotic center will be developed. This would have been an excellent site for the Walmart going in right around the corner on Silver Spring St. The fairly new Royal Little Industrial/Business Park, which is next to the Walmart property, dosen't get much discussion in this forum. I think they did a good job down there, which can be seen from Rt 95. But I can't remember what use to be there before all those building were built. It was like overnight, there it was.

The Royal Little Park where AAA is along 95 used to be railyards.

That lot behind the PO is definitely huge. There's also still a lot of land in between RI Tool and the new medical bldg. The ideal use for these parcels would be industrial given the high paying jobs and tax revenue that industry provides, but with RI manufacturers shutting down left and right we're probably in line for lower end retail there.

You know, I wouldn't mind seeing an urban retail cluster developed there like South Shore Plaza in Boston or what you see in Queens NY along the Van Wyck expressway. Folks woundn't have to go to suburbia for Best Buy, Target, etc.

The area's also got proximity to 95. Also developing that area wouldn't infringe on any residential neighborhood or ruin the historic fabric of the city.

There's a huge vacant lot there next to the P.O. where the Quebor Co use to be before being demolished. The P.O. bought it and rumor is that a modern automated/robotic center will be developed. This would have been an excellent site for the Walmart going in right around the corner on Silver Spring St. The fairly new Royal Little Industrial/Business Park, which is next to the Walmart property, dosen't get much discussion in this forum. I think they did a good job down there, which can be seen from Rt 95. But I can't remember what use to be there before all those building were built. It was like overnight, there it was.

I wouldn't mind seeing an urban retail cluster developed there like South Shore Plaza in Boston

Actually, just a stones throw away a small suburban style retail cluster is slowing developing. Home Depot and Walmart (under construction) on Charles Street/Silver Spring (and a hotel is also supposed to end up there too).

The Royal Little Park where AAA is along 95 used to be railyards.

There's also still a lot of land in between RI Tool and the new medical bldg.

Yes but it's all occupied. Most of the land is used for parking by the PO which of course dosen't pay taxes, and I don't see them selling any of it off.

Archived