Cage to star in World Trade Center film

Raintree21

Is a 9/11 movie bad taste or is it not sacred?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Is a 9/11 movie bad taste or is it not sacred?

• Yes
    • No

Nearly four years after the collapse of the World Trade Center, Oscar-winning director Oliver Stone will direct a film based on the story of two police officers who were trapped in the rubble on Sept. 11, 2001.

Should we consider the WTC and 9/11 sacred? Or do we want to allow the entertainment industry to make films about it?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nearly four years after the collapse of the World Trade Center, Oscar-winning director Oliver Stone will direct a film based on the story of two police officers who were trapped in the rubble on Sept. 11, 2001.

Should we consider the WTC and 9/11 sacred? Or do we want to allow the entertainment industry to make films about it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

making money off of this film is dirty and i will not see it. oliver stone should be ashamed of himself. i'm hoping at least he'll give the proceeds to charity.

Exploiting 911 so soon is outrageous. Healing time for catastrophic events is decades. I can see a movie in the year 2025, looking back to a time when terrorists kept the free world in check, but not now, when were in the middle of it all. Does this man have any compassion for the families still grieving from their loss?

I am going to compose a well thought out letter to Mr. Stone explaining just why this is a bad idea. I sure this thread will help fuel my letter. I think others should write him as well. Maybe the fact that his reputation is at stake will be enough to stop this film.

Satalac said it right "making money off of this film is dirty ".

:angry:

Alright time for someone to play devil's advocate. Im going to hold off on my judgement until I see the film. As of right now what most of you are saying is that this is just a film to exploit the events of that day. I couldnt disagree more at this point. Do some of you feel the same about the photographers whose prints and posters depicting that time and site that are being sold for profit? I dont. What I see is an artists tribute to what happened and thats exactly how I see this film. Film makers are artists and this film follows two officers on that day and what they went through. This isnt a work of fiction, its a true story and a story about two heroic individuals. Whats so wrong with that? Again, im gonna wait to pass judgement on this film. But in the time being im not going to blast the efforts of a great filmmaker who is most likely trying to make a tribute to those lost and not a get rich exploitation film. Just my thoughts.

Alright time for someone to play devil's advocate.  Im going to hold off on my judgement until I see the film.  As of right now what most of you are saying is that this is just a film to exploit the events of that day.  I couldnt disagree more at this point.  Do some of you feel the same about the photographers whose prints and posters depicting that time and site that are being sold for profit?  I dont.  What I see is an artists tribute to what happened and thats exactly how I see this film.  Film makers are artists and this film follows two officers on that day and what they went through.  This isnt a work of fiction, its a true story and a story about two heroic individuals.  Whats so wrong with that?  Again, im gonna wait to pass judgement on this film.  But in the time being im not going to blast the efforts of a great filmmaker who is most likely trying to make a tribute to those lost and not a get rich exploitation film.  Just my thoughts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see your point Zissou, and I still think it's too soon.

At least it's not Spielberg

How much time do you think needs to pass before something like this can be done? The families are always going to feel the effects of that day if the movie is made now or 10 years from now its still going to hurt for them. I mean i dont want to sound cold hearted but when you lose a loved one you dont grieve for over 4 years do you? 9/11 was a major event in the history of our country and i think if done tastefully and with respect should be represented in film.

Alright time for someone to play devil's advocate.  Im going to hold off on my judgement until I see the film.  As of right now what most of you are saying is that this is just a film to exploit the events of that day.  I couldnt disagree more at this point.  Do some of you feel the same about the photographers whose prints and posters depicting that time and site that are being sold for profit?  I dont.  What I see is an artists tribute to what happened and thats exactly how I see this film.  Film makers are artists and this film follows two officers on that day and what they went through.  This isnt a work of fiction, its a true story and a story about two heroic individuals.  Whats so wrong with that?  Again, im gonna wait to pass judgement on this film.  But in the time being im not going to blast the efforts of a great filmmaker who is most likely trying to make a tribute to those lost and not a get rich exploitation film.  Just my thoughts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely agree.....We will have to wait to see the movie and then form our opinions. :ph34r:

The documentary "9/11" made by the two french brothers, Jules and Gedeon Naudet was beautifully done. Even though this was a documentary and not a film with actors, it is still being sold and profit is being made off it yet I dont hear any complaints. And if i remember correctly a 9/11 movie has already been made about president bush. if hollywood got away with "the passion", they can easily get away with making a movie about 9/11 and as long as its done well and is tasteful it should be a great one.

I don't think it's in bad taste, making fun of 9/11 would be in bad taste. But telling the story of two police officers on that day, that's not offensive. I think telling the story now would have way more impact than waiting 25 years, when half the people who would go see it weren't even alive when it happened, or old enough to remember. Think of Pearl Harbor, do you think it would have resonated more if you had been alive and could recall how you felt that day?

Then again Oliver Stone is real hit-or-miss, so this could suck.

I rather see it a an unavoidable conmemoration of 9-11. Not to allow a movie about it would be like trying to "deny" it happened. If you want to never forget, then let people express their ideas about that horrible event.

I don't think it's in bad taste, making fun of 9/11 would be in bad taste.  But telling the story of two police officers on that day, that's not offensive.  I think telling the story now would have way more impact than waiting 25 years, when half the people who would go see it weren't even alive when it happened, or old enough to remember.  Think of Pearl Harbor, do you think it would have resonated more if you had been alive and could recall how you felt that day?

Then again Oliver Stone is real hit-or-miss, so this could suck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To add to your Pearl Harbor comment, Hollywood started making World War II movies about Pearl Harbor and other battles only a few years after the events. So making a movie about 9/11 would not be in bad taste. It should remind us all about the reasons we are in this war in the first place. I think no matter how painful it is, we need to always remember the attack and the people that lost their lives because of it. This should strengthen our resolve to win and end the war against terrorism.

I think people are too uptight about this. Sure they can make a movie about it. They can even make a comedy out of it. I don't see what the big deal is. It doesn't change what happened and it doesn't change how people feel about 9/11.

BTW the question posed in the poll is ambiguous.

I think people are too uptight about this.  Sure they can make a movie about it.  They can even make a comedy out of it.  I don't see what the big deal is.  It doesn't change what happened and it doesn't change how people feel about 9/11.

BTW the question posed in the poll is ambiguous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. But, be careful about saying that comedy thing, anywhere near you, you might be classified as unpatriotic. It happened to me here in my country. LOL :ph34r:

Archived