Burlington Square Mall

NCgfx

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's about time something decent goes into holly hill, er, colonial mall. isn't there still a harris teeter right down the street by the honda dealership? that's probably not even 2/10 of a mile away. man, harris teeter is doing some strange development all over if that's the case. i remember when that guy went into the winn-dixie and shot some people. :blink:

Colonial Mall Burlington is set to become a "Prime outlet"...comments?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Prime Outlet Malls are really neat! They have one in Morrisville near RDU. Last year before school ended I use to go down there alot. To give you an idea of what kind of stores they might be putting in there here are some examples: Off 5th Avenue Saks Outlet, Bass shoes, Samsonite Outlet, IZOD, and S&K Menswear. That should be some heavy competition against BMOC! I would've liked to see The Mills Properties buy out Colonial and put in one of those HUGE outlet malls like they have in Concord. That would definetly run BMOC right into the ground.

The thing is...this mall was recently remodeled and what are they going to do with all those stores, JC Penney, Belk, Sears, and Goodys? Plus all the others. I think some mall developer is going to come along and build another mall in West Burlington to accomodate all these stores and then that will eventually create more sprawl. Shame, Shame, Shame. :rofl:

The thing is...this mall was recently remodeled and what are they going to do with all those stores, JC Penney, Belk, Sears, and Goodys? Plus all the others. I think some mall developer is going to come along and build another mall in West Burlington to accomodate all these stores and then that will eventually create more sprawl. Shame, Shame, Shame. :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I know that Sears' lease is up in about a year...I'm thinking they will go to either Kmart which is like 2 blocks away or the outdoor mall that CBL is building between University and Hufman Mill. I really think the rest of the stores will go to the new mall as well. Rumor has it that Colonial has been trying to dump this mall for a while. Some local business owners were supposidly going to purchase it before they found out about the CBL mall. It seems like each month the CBL mall is getting bigger...they just went to the city council agin to rezone two more parcels of land...they now have land from University all the way to the Courtyard at Huffman Mill.

Not only is there BMOC...but JR recently purchased the shopping center along 85/40 at the Alamance Rd. exit....plus this Prime outlet thing...is Burlington going to regain its title as the outlet center of the south?

but this is the first I've heard of any conversion of the place to an outlet center.  Where'd you get that information?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too! Plus, is there anyone here that knows of a or any website that refers to the construction of that new outdoor mall by CBL. I never knew they were building one? :blink:

There is a story on the front page of the Times-News about the mall today. It doesnt say that it is being transformed into an outlet, but it say that they look forward to upgrading the tenate list and giving it the Prime touch.

As for CBL, I posed on that about a month ago but nobody believes me.

Old Site Plan

This is the old site plan. They brought it back to the city council about 2 months ago...I was actually at the meeting. The eastern portion on the plan has been totally scrapped. It has been replaced by a lake with shops and restaurants, a "main street" with like 3 big anchors (we already know that one of them is Dillards" and a movie theatre. The lake has a pedestrian bridge. The new project is called Alamance Crossing and it look a whole lot like Rivers Crossing

Construction is set to start in a few months.

I think this is really smart b/c I just have a feeling that the mall's anchors are going to go to this new mall, and once that happens the smaller tenants will either go too or close up shop. I have a feeling in a few years Colonial Mall will either be 75% dead, gone completely and replaced with big boxes, or possibly a semi decent outlet mall. the thing is, if there are only 3 anchor pads available in the new mall, and dillards is one of them, that means that one of Colonial's anchors will have to stay. I have a feeling Belk and Sears will leave, and JCPenney will convert to an outlet. It's a tiny JCPenney anyway. Goody's will probably scurry away to this new mall. BTW the new mall isn't an indoor mall, but a glorified strip shopping center surrounding a large pond, right?

I think this is really smart b/c I just have a feeling that the mall's anchors are going to go to this new mall, and once that happens the smaller tenants will either go too or close up shop. I have a feeling in a few years Colonial Mall will either be 75%  dead, gone completely and replaced with big boxes, or possibly a semi decent outlet mall. the thing is, if there are only 3 anchor pads available in the new mall, and dillards is one of them, that means that one of Colonial's anchors will have to stay. I have a feeling Belk and Sears will leave, and JCPenney will convert to an outlet. It's a tiny JCPenney anyway. Goody's will probably scurry away to this new mall. BTW the new mall isn't an indoor mall, but a glorified strip shopping center surrounding a large pond, right?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What is the whole point of this thread NCMIKe? Don't mean to be rude though, ok? The mall was BOUGHT out by Prime Outlets and in maybe a year they will convert it to one of their stores for ex: Prime Outlet in Morrisville. I give Prime Outlets 10 years or less and then your big box theory will more than likely come true. As for JC Penney, Belk, and Sears they will vacat and either open up their own stores or be part of that new mall in West Burlington. Goody's as usual will be part of a strip mall. The rest of the stores will probably wait till more space is available in West Burlington.

IMO ..Burlington doesnt need more "outlet" space. I have been to the outlets that you mention close to Raleigh...and wasnt particularly impressed. Burlington has it's own outlet space that basically needs a major overhall itself just two exits away from this point.

I am curious as I saw it mentioned ...that someone is planning a new mall in Burlingon? I like what Colonial did with Holly Hill Mall after THIS last renovation. I certainly have a hard time thinking that we need a larger mall here...I like the intimacy of the small mall.

Is it to be on the same exit as the new Target if built? Target opens next week.

IMO ..Burlington doesnt need more "outlet" space.  I have been to the outlets that you mention close to Raleigh...and wasnt particularly impressed.    Burlington has it's own outlet space that basically needs a major overhall itself just two exits  away from this point. 

I am curious as I saw it mentioned ...that someone is planning a new mall in Burlingon?  I like what Colonial did with Holly Hill Mall after THIS last renovation.  I certainly have a hard time thinking that we need a larger mall here...I like the intimacy of the small mall. 

Is it to be on the same exit as the new Target if built?  Target opens next week.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, this new "mall" shouldn't really be that much larger...Colonial is 415,000 sf...Alamance Crossing will be 840,000 including a movie theatre and several restaurants...so the actual "mall' part shouldn't be much larger. As for Burlington needing more mall space, Colonial is 97% full right now. It opened in 1969...I'm pretty sure the area has grown a bit since then.

Also, CBL is calling it a "regional" mall. So it should at least draw from Mebane to the eastern edge of Greensboro.

I guess only time will tell.

Wasn't Holly Hill (Colonial) Mall in decline for a long time? Kind of sad that shortly after it rebounds and gets to where it should be another mall type shopping center comes along and kills it...

I haven't been in the mall for over a yr but when I lived in Hillsborough in the late '90s I went there often. The food court always seemed sort of sad....did they ever fill up all of the available spaces in it?

Colonial Mall Burlington is set to become a "Prime outlet"...comments?

Also, the Winn-Dixie is on South Church Street is being sold....the Times News is saying Harris Teeter

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

supposedly Teeter will close their other location for this bigger one

• 2 weeks later...

There was , within a thread here, a mention of prime outlets buying Colonial mall of Burlington. (I couldnt remember the thread so started this one) I just noticed on the back of a paper thing in the mail we received today a mention of "Burlington Square Mall" ...a prime retail experience...formerly Colonial Mall Burlington.

For one, I wish that colonial mall had just left well enough alone and had not changed the name from "Holly Hill" as it identified it to the holly hill community there. Now it has yet another name.

When Holly Hill Mall became Colonial Burlington Mall, not much changed except for the name. The food court there just has one resturant.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But the name reflected the community it is in. The food court was ill placed. It should have been put in a more prominent area if they were even going to bother with it at all. I would figure(by what we saw) most folks either went to Applehouse or Chick Fil A, neither of which were located in the food court.

But the name reflected the community it is in.  The food court was ill placed.  It should have been put in a more prominent area if they were even going to bother with it at all.  I would figure(by what we saw) most folks either went to Applehouse or Chick Fil A, neither of which were located in the food court.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree about the name. holly hill reflected the property that the mall was built on. see my post about the old price house here:

Some Burlington Pictures, Including Glencoe Mill Village

Archived