IN PROGRESS: The Plant | 60 Valley St.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Please join us for The Plant's Groundbreaking Celebration!

Hosted by The Plant's Development Team:

PUENTE and Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse, Inc.

Save The Date:

September 8, 2005 at 10 AM

60 Valley Street in Olneyville, Providence RI

For more information on the project, visit:

www.ThePlantProvidence.com

• 3 weeks later...

I recieved the following press release from Puente today:

PUENTE and SBER Announce Groundbreaking of The Plant in Olneyville

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

www.ThePlantProvidence.org

Partnership for The Plant

Providence, RI, August 23rd, 2005

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This one's seriously in progress now. Like Royal Mills in WW, it's a full-fledged construction site now. They already have a number of the new windows in. Looks like the whole complex is being worked on simulateneouly even though there are separate developers involved.

I think the fast progress that SBER made with Rising Sun, and is making with these two projects, shows that ALCO and Dynamo House will get done rapidly. These guys are no Carpionato who seem to take forever to do their stuff or Paolino who seems to be more talk than action.

• 4 weeks later...

The windows are in and some landscaping is starting to happen. Last week, or the week before, they demolished an interior structure (the oldest part, unfortunately, which could not be saved) to open it up into a courtyard, which will be very nice when it is done. These spaces see a lot of light and some decent views up and down Valley Street. SBER has a master plan for Valley Street, and the Plant is just a small part of it (Calender Mills, the Plant, Rising Sun, and now ALco being the projects they have on Valley so far).

To clear things up, Puente is a non-profit developer who is in charge of leasing and running the Plant project. SBER is the construction company that is doing the work. Puente also contracts with SBER to work on some of their community-activism initiatives. Puente will be a tenant of the Plant, subleasing space for a Community Enterprise Center, which is shared office space for area non-profits. Non-profs will rent a desk and get to use conference space, phone, internet, copier, fax, etc... There is an info event tomorrow is anyone is interested.

They also are holding an RFP right now about their Nest spaces, which are larger units that four to five artists can split and build out however they want. Check out their website if anyone wants more info.

Cotuit, take note for a new topic: Right next door to the Plant is a new development, which is actually part of the same historic complex, but not part of what is now the Plant. Armory Revival and SBER are in a joint partnership to redevelop 52 Valley Street, a free-standing building that used to be offices for the PDB&C and most recently was a plating company. This will be 14 (?) townhouse units. SBER is then also developing 50 Valley into more units (8, I think) and some commercial space for one large tenant (the building that used to Antonelli Plating). These two developments will be known under one name, Calender Mills (the original name for the whole complex, which includes the Plant at 60 Valley, was the Providence Dyeing, Bleaching and Calendering Company, calendering being the process of finishing fabric with large rollers, or calenders)

• 5 months later...

I assume others knew about this project, but I'm finding out about it for the first time. That valley area is going to be one of the coolest parts of the city to live in with Eagle Sq, Rising Sun, ALCO and US Rubber. And, The Cuban is opening a second location there:

http://www.theplantprovidence.com/leasing/livework1/

I assume others knew about this project, but I'm finding out about it for the first time. That valley area is going to be one of the coolest parts of the city to live in with Eagle Sq, Rising Sun, ALCO and US Rubber. And, The Cuban is opening a second location there:

http://www.theplantprovidence.com/leasing/livework1/

The thread on it is here:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...1&hl=puente

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived