Salisbury, NC

triguyrdu

I'm doing a rotation at the VA hospital in Salisbury the last two weeks of July. I have a couple of questions for anyone who's familiar with this area:

1) I'm living at the intersection of Poplar and Grove streets...anything around there.

2) I want to take the train there and leave my car behind and am debating on not bringing my bicycle (since the piedmont and carolinan doesn't have onboard bike racks...*rolls eyes*) Do you really need to a bicycle down there. i was surprised that they have buses.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downtown Salisbury is a pretty neat place. I spent a day there once, and I remember quite a few restaurants and such that I wish I had a chance to check out. I think there were a number on E. Fisher St, a block or two from Main St. It Seems like you're going to be pretty close to downtown; I suggest bringing your bicycle if you have one since it might serve you well!

You must check out the North Carolina Transportation Museum up the road in Spencer. It's heaven for a train buff like me so I'm biased, but one time I went with my brother and parents (who are generally indifferent to all things railroad) and they liked it quite a bit.

Anyway, judging by my short experience there, Salisbury is one of the nicest small cities in the state. Their little downtown is second to none. I hope you have a good time there. :)

Dude you're like a stones throw from my grandmother, she lives on Emerald St. And she works at the VA too! :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I suppose your grandma wouldn't know which bars are good to have a drink. *laughs*

I am curious though where would be the closest grocery store.

I hope you have a good time there. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, honestly I'm a little excited. I've heard good things about the downtown area. ergh, alas the bike situation...i guess i could box it up but it would have to go as checked since the salisbury station doesn't have a checked baggage service.

Salisbury native here...

If you're looking for a good place to get a drink, downtown Salisbury has a couple places. Las Palmas and Benchwarmers are good to start out... 315 has live music most nights. Escape the Daily Grind on Main St. is a good coffee house. If wine is your thing, theres a wine bar across the street from Escape the Daily Grind, theyre generally open to 10 most nights.

Grocery stores... not many "grocery" stores downtown... but Rufty's is a general store. They have a limited selection, so youll probably be better off going to a Food Lion. On South Main, I think on Thursdays, theres a nice farmers market... Fresh produce of all kinds.

As far as bringing a bicycle... I wouldnt consider Salisbury bicycle friendly. Innes Street through downtown barely has enough room for the 4 lanes of car traffic, let alone a bicycle. The Salisbury Bus system is used, although Im not sure of the exact routes. However, I know they have stops at Innes St. Market, which has a cineplex and limited shopping. Stops also at RCCC (Local community college), Salisbury Mall.. etc

Hope this helped

Check out the Salisbury Transit route map. Sucks that the one that goes to Spencer (for the NCTM) doesn't run on weekends.

I had a good experience with taxi cabs in Salisbury, too - friendly driver, clean car, cheap fare. Safety Taxi was the name of the company, I think.

Oh, and in case you missed it, check out this photo thread I did from a visit to Salisbury a while back.

Archived