I-49 One Step Closer to Being Realized

johnnydr87

The bridge over the Arkansas River alone will be in the $500,000,000 range. Obviously the State of Arkansas won't be able to come up with that type of money for one project much less the even larger amount to build I49 south to the Dequeen area (I think there has been construction close to there). In this time of intense pressure to cut federal spending it is unlikely that the feds will fund the highway anytime soon. It just seems that the completion of I49 is many, many decades away unless a major backer comes out of the woodwork.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The construction between Waldron and Mena would be intense and from Mena to DeQueen not any easier. From DeQueen to Ashdown would be the easiest, but still hilly and rocky. These towns desperatly need this interstate to be built. The state as a whole needs it. Once completed it has the possibility to rival a lot of roads for a very scenic drive.

Ah, thanks for the link.  I had wondered about that for a while.  So Hwy 49 in southeast Arkansas is the problem.  Also a bit weird because of the situation in Mississippi with Hwy 49 as well.  Considering how long it's going to take to get I-49 through the Ouachitas I wonder if they'll just drag their feet on trying to do something about renaming I-540.  I've really also wondered just how expensive it's going to be to go through the Ouachitas.  With the east-west topography of the mountains a north-south interstate is going to be a real pain.  In the past they might have just blown entire mountainsides away to put in an interstate.  But today seems like they might have to consider some tunnels in some areas. 

Mith, I know it will be better for Arkansas to keep the current route (all along the western counties) but it's a shame they couldn't extend the Fort Smith interstate (ends at Pocola) and make it follow U.S. 59 and the Kansas City Southern railroad through Poteau and Heavener, OK back to Mena (where even though there are hills U.S. 71 and the KCS start having an easier path) down to DeQueen.  I think the DeQueen-Texarkana segment won't be that bad though a bridge will likely have to be built over Little River.

This is still a very big deal what happened this week as it puts pressure on Arkansas.  The Feds (read: the current administration) are spending like there is no tomorrow, but I don't know that Arkansas would be high enough on their list for political reasons to help.  The finished I-49 would be so good for this state economically.

Mith, when my blasted computer gets fixed I'll try to post a map. Either I or Cowbreath had posted a map of the then-existing interstate system, and the news from Missouri and Texas dramatically changes it. Eight counties in Missouri will be part of the continuous I-49 as of 2012's end. 14-15 counties from Brownsville, McAllen, Corpus Christi, Victoria, Houston, Lufkin to Nacogdoches will be apparently eligible to put up I-69 signage (6 miles of Corpus Christi area highway was so designated in a big "to-do" last year) immediately as well. According to news reports nearly 300 miles of Texas' 600+ mile stretch of I-69 will be interstate quality right now with more in the works, and (of course) those "Future I-69 Corridor" signs won't come down any time soon now. Thing with Texas is, it will be "stop, start, stop, start" on I-69 stretches along their segment of it, though at least 75 miles of Houston area road are ready to be designated I-69 right now.

I'm with you about money, and especially the Ft. S to TXK stretch. (I've seen dirt being moved on US 71 near DeQueen for what appear to be extra lanes, but I'm not sure what that's about.) East Texas newspapers are abuzz with "this Interstate 69 is REALLY going to happen" articles, but the Lufkin paper said that it may not be complete for "most of our lifetimes" as there will need to be a brand new highway built between Marshall and Longview between Nacogdoches and TXK for this. I don't know what Louisiana's doing on their side of I-49 north of Shreveport to the Arkansas line. (Bigboyz from Texarkana Urban Planet has done a good job of following this...Arkansas has done far more work - amazing that Texarkana is poised to become a hub of THREE interstates, regardless of whether I-69 is built northeastward from that city). And of course, the shape of our wonderful country may be such that this is never able to pass...that's a far greater concern to me than I-49/I-69 right now. (EDIT: Mith, you know how the circus people had the superstition about events happening in "3s". Well, as of the end of June, Louisiana procured funds to start its share of I-49 between Shreveport and the Arkansas line. They're slowpoking it, but are probably looking at Arkansas and saying..."if you think WE'RE taking our time...") BUT...

There WILL be jobs as a result of this. Again, a study 10 years ago predicted Fort Smith would become as big as Northwest Arkansas (it's not that far behind, actually) due to the growth it could see as a result of being a major junction. A major reason for this Texas upgrade is increased cargo from Texas ports when the Panama Canal widening project is finished in 2014. Think of it...all that gulf traffic coming through Fort Smith/NWA on the shortest route to Kansas City, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Omaha, Sioux Falls, Fargo and Winnipeg...and vice versa. My guess is there will be increased pressure on Arkansas to come through, and Mike Beebe and his successors will obviously look eastward toward the Potomac. At the very least...this year's quiet developments (I wouldn't have heard about the changes to I-49 from KC or I-69 from the Lower Rio Grande Valley had I not seen the interstate signs going up around Pineville and Neosho) has likely put a giant spotlight on this I-49-through-Arkansas project once again.

Time to break out the popcorn...

Thanks KJW. The spur of I-69 to be built to I-30 in Texarkana has been rumored to be numbered I-169 and the section of the existing beltway from I-30 to Hwy 59 will be renamed I-369. Plus the north belt around the city between I-49 and I-30 will be I-249. When all the roads are built we will have I-169, I-369, I-30, I-49 and I-249! I think it's smart the city is trying to get the freeway system in place before the growth comes since we're projected to enter a major building boom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This is bigger news to bigboyz05 than us (right now) but Louisiana is getting close to having all of their interstate complete for I-49...most of it should be open by late summer, and Arkansas will have its portion of I-49 to the LA border finished by 2015.  (This as quietly, I-69 from Shreveport AND Texarkana to Houston to Brownsville/Laredo is taking shape).

None of us may be around by the time Fort Smith to Texarkana is Interstate.  But someday if The Lord doesn't return first, this will be the main Canada/U.S./Mexico interstate corridor there is.  And sights like this (

)

• 2 months later...

DANG, ya'll!

11 years ago, when I first moved here I saw an editorial that said a study conducted for Fort Smith indicated the city would become as big as NWA (was) when I-49 is finished and the former city becomes the I-40/I-49 crossroads.  Someone here, wisely, said that studies can be made to say whatever one wants them to.  I concurred.

Today, however, I went to FSm and visited the Chaffee Crossing area, where right now they're building an "interstate to nowhere" as there's no bridge for it across the Arkansas River, yet.

MAN.

New bridges all over the place, BIG ones.  There are new subdivisions, fire stations, all sorts of things being built out there around the existing heavy industry.  And parking over that bridge and looking south and north, you can really envision what the premier highway link between Canada, America and Mexico is going to be someday (that is, if America still exists by then).  If we don't have a total economic collapse, the question won't be "will Fort Smith REALLY get as big as NWA was in 2002?"  Instead it will be "how big will it get"?

That being said, this past Wednesday Texarkana, AR opened up their new section between I-71 just across the Texas border over and interchanging with I-35, then down to the linkup of I-49 south toward the Louisiana line.  Next up, I-49 from near I-20 in Shreveport to the state line is supposed to open by fall.  Finally (for the non-Bella Vista and Fort Smith-to-Texarkana parts), there will be the last few miles of I-49 in south Miller County, AR, now being worked on and scheduled for opening by 2015.  

• 3 weeks later...

The one good thing is now NWA is big enough to begin controlling it's own funding for transportation and having to totally rely in the AHTD. So in the long run I think this will help the Bella Vista Bypass. But that's not going to do anything for the stretch of I-49 needed between Ft Smith and Texarkana through the Ouachitas. I think that's where things are really going to hang up for a long time. And as zman stated Arkansas is never going to be able ti fund anything like that on it's own. It's going to take federal funds to get that section done.

LRGV3%20map5.13-01.jpgTexarkana2%20map5.13-01.jpg

http://www.i69texasalliance.com/index.html

As of this past month, in Texas, I-69 shields have been approved to go from Brownsville nearly at the border to above Raymondville, the county seat in the county to the north.  Also (more significantly) a part of the Texarkana, TX bypass has been approved to be I-369, part of the former Interstate.

The "significantly" comes from the fact that I-69 will split at Tenaha southwest of Shreveport, with the I-369 going as far north as Texarkana.  Means that I-69 will essentially reach not the first but the first two major cities on U.S.71, future I-49 south of Fort Smith (and NWA).  I-69 also exists in both northeast and southwest Houston and its suburbs plus the west side of Corpus Christi, so this route is slooowly coming together in Texas, which for NWA/Fort Smith purposes is the route this area should be interested in (not minimizing the hopeful economic impact from near Detroit through mid-America into south Arkansas then Shreveport).

I-49 from south Fort Smith (they're building it from Greenwood north right now to Alma, regardless of whenever it's finished) to Texarkana may or may not become a reality.  But the more the pincers of I-49 and I-69 close on Texarkana/Shreveport and Fort Smith (with the ongoing BV bypass being the only interstate project left to be finished south of the Canadian border) the more, er, unwise the planners-that-be look for not building it sooner, and not working to build it now.

According to the Louisiana DOT [url=http://www.dotd.la.gov/administration/public_info/projects/i49north/]I-49 literally stops at the Arkansas line, now, and will be complete southward to Louisiana 1 (pretty much in Shreveport city limits) by this Fall.  Google maps shows the ground has already been plowed for the remining mile or three of I-49 to be built in Miller County to the Louisiana line.

LRGV3%20map5.13-01.jpgTexarkana2%20map5.13-01.jpg

http://www.i69texasalliance.com/index.html

As of this past month, in Texas, I-69 shields have been approved to go from Brownsville nearly at the border to above Raymondville, the county seat in the county to the north.  Also (more significantly) a part of the Texarkana, TX bypass has been approved to be I-369, part of the former Interstate.

The "significantly" comes from the fact that I-69 will split at Tenaha southwest of Shreveport, with the I-369 going as far north as Texarkana.  Means that I-69 will essentially reach not the first but the first two major cities on U.S.71, future I-49 south of Fort Smith (and NWA).  I-69 also exists in both northeast and southwest Houston and its suburbs plus the west side of Corpus Christi, so this route is slooowly coming together in Texas, which for NWA/Fort Smith purposes is the route this area should be interested in (not minimizing the hopeful economic impact from near Detroit through mid-America into south Arkansas then Shreveport).

I-49 from south Fort Smith (they're building it from Greenwood north right now to Alma, regardless of whenever it's finished) to Texarkana may or may not become a reality.  But the more the pincers of I-49 and I-69 close on Texarkana/Shreveport and Fort Smith (with the ongoing BV bypass being the only interstate project left to be finished south of the Canadian border) the more, er, unwise the planners-that-be look for not building it sooner, and not working to build it now.

Thanks for the info.   :thumbsup:

No problem, Mith.  Here is something that could affect us in northwest Arkansas relatively soon...the AHTD has decided to apply for I-49 designation in Arkansas this October after being twice rejected.  One would think they'd have some additional impetus now given what's happening in Texas, aforementioned, plus what happened last year with I-49 shooting all the way down to the NWA metro area south of Pineville, MO.  We shall see.

I-49, unless someone at the AHTD has a change of heart in open defiance of Washington, DC, is definitely coming to NWA (and Fort Smith and Texarkana, regardless of when the FSM/TXK link is someday completed if The Lord doesn't return first).

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3324.375

Interesting.  Wonder when it might go in effect.  It's going to take a while trying not to say I-540 anymore when it does happen.

Probably just in time for the Ft Smith economy to rebound.

UrbanArkie, it's astonishing how much, when you drive the area they're grading for I-49 in Barling, AR, east of Fort Smith, people are betting on this highway.  Seriously, there are several brand new bridges (with embossed brass plates bearing the names of AHTD officers) flying over what right now is an Interstate of weeds.  Buildings, both corporate and small, are popping up ALL OVER from immediately west of said weed highway to streets like Zero and Massard in east Fort Smith.  Again, remembering studies that say FSM will become like NWA when it becomes a major junction, whether or not you or I believe it there are many in Fort Smith, including some multinational companies, who are clearly banking on it.

(EDIT: walked up to the bridge yesterday just south of what used to be downtown Hiwasse (now part of Gravette) in NWA.  Paving has begun literally all the way from the first highway bridge on the southeast side of that town, to the new bridge 1-2 miles west of town.  There's a lot more concrete to be poured, but there must be about 3 miles of the initial highway poured.)

Image 1.: Looking south toward Greenwood off of East Massard Rd. future I-49 bridge.

Image 2.:  Looking north toward Alma off of East Massard Rd. future I-49 bridge.  In the distance are two new I-49 bridges over another road.  Bridge of east Rogers Ave. not visible, neither is the construction equipment.  To the far left the yellow structure is a massive crane of some sort (types of which I seem to have seen in railyards where containers are being unloaded) right next to the Mitsubishi(?) plant.

Image 3.: Plaque in the bridge.  Interesting that this was commissioned three years ago under the auspices of "U.S. 71".  Arkansas' favorite cheerleader, Dick Trammell, has his name on the plaque.  Sorry that I can't make these smaller.   :ermm:

1.  http://www.oldtowngifts.com/images/fsbridge1.jpg

2.  http://www.oldtowngifts.com/images/fsbridge2.jpg

3.   http://www.oldtowngifts.com/images/fsbridge3.jpg

That is good news. I wonder if Missouri still has the cash to build their section? I know they were ready to go but backed off after Arkansas couldn't meet them at the border.

I still think the best idea for the section of I49 between Ft. Smith and Dequeen is to improve Hwy 71 to 4 lane divided first and then build the interchanges as money becomes available. That is basically what Mo. did with 71 and what Oklahoma is doing with Hwy 69.

That is good news. I wonder if Missouri still has the cash to build their section? I know they were ready to go but backed off after Arkansas couldn't meet them at the border.

I still think the best idea for the section of I49 between Ft. Smith and Dequeen is to improve Hwy 71 to 4 lane divided first and then build the interchanges as money becomes available. That is basically what Mo. did with 71 and what Oklahoma is doing with Hwy 69.

Got to agree with you.  I think that's also probably the most realistic way to go about it.  I don't see some big pile of federal money coming in to put this project on the front burner.  So either way it's going to be a while for this to happen.  

Got to agree with you.  I think that's also probably the most realistic way to go about it.  I don't see some big pile of federal money coming in to put this project on the front burner.  So either way it's going to be a while for this to happen.  

I'll see if I can find the link, but Missouri has their cash ready and is planning on starting next year, I believe.  That will finalize their section of I-49, just as Louisiana's about to finalize their section (apart from the Lafayette-New Orleans connector south of I-10 which does the same thing) of I-49 very soon (as are our friends in Miller County, AR).

I'm going to step aside from this topic for awhile unless some bigger news hits...it's clear that I-49 is indeed coming to NWA and that the Bella Vista bypass will be built.

What's fascinating is, I saw yesterday an access road off this future interstate graded off Rocky Dell Hollow Road, which runs like the neck of a tuning fork into the curve which splits to the northeast to become Glasgow Road, and to the southeast to become Highlands Rd. (then Lancashire in central/east BV).  This is wild...of NWA's "Big Six" cities (BV, Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale, Fayetteville, Siloam Springs), Bella Vista is the ONLY one which essentially has one half of the city inaccessible from any direction (this being the west) except by dirt road.

That's going to change, drastically, as this bypass is built and when someday I-49 is joined from north to south.  In fact, at or just north of this Rocky Dell Road is a proposed toll booth...don't know if that will still be necessary now that the BV bypass is apparently atop the recent road sales tax list.  But it's going to be wild to see a northwest Arkansas city of 25,000 opened up for the first time from one direction that has always been all but inaccessible (except for some forest-covered dirt roads).  I think BV may still own a huge bloc of land here, too...at least that's what the map in the entry way of BV's Allen's Foods says.

At the very least, I see a future Casey's location.  :shades:

Archived