I-49 One Step Closer to Being Realized

johnnydr87

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm new to the forum but I just wanted to clarify, this is not an interstate roundabout. The roundabout is to allow access to the Bella Vista bypass until it is fully completed signed as I-49. AHTD will add a full interstate interchange when the bypass is closer to completion. What the roundabout tells me though is it will be a while before they get around to finishing the whole thing sadly.

I kept wondering what everyone was talking about.  Yeah I think people were seeing it as an interstate roundabout.  But it's just a roundabout near the interstate.  But as Nick said, probably just a temporary measure until a full interchange would be put in at some point in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department is now working on revised figures for a new I-49 bridge linking current I-540 at Alma with the limited I-49 highway in far east Fort Smith that's scheduled to be finished this year.  An official rep for the AHTD confirmed that today on the aaroads forums.

Originally, the bridge was thought to be in the billion-dollar range.  Don't see what they can do to lower that by much but then again, I'm not on the AHTD.  I do know that, with yesterday's announcements (NWA hitting officially 500,000 this summer, the new osteopathic(/potential dental/potential PT/potential PA) medical school in Chaffee Crossing) and I-49 work progressing west of Bella Vista (they're working heavily north and south of the highway to Gravette now in numbers I haven't seen even last year) it's clear big things are happening in NWA and FSM that really are calling, no, starting to SHOUT for Arkansas to get off its tail and make at least I-49 from FSM north to the border a reality.  (And it's amazing to think what's fixing to happen SOUTH of Fort Smith whenever I-49 is finished to TXK.).  Again, may not come about for us in our 50s or older to see, but if The Lord doesn't return first  you younger people may see things you'd never dreamt of in Arkansas.   (Hopefully, they'll be good.  :camera: 

The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department is now working on revised figures for a new I-49 bridge linking current I-540 at Alma with the limited I-49 highway in far east Fort Smith that's scheduled to be finished this year.  An official rep for the AHTD confirmed that today on the aaroads forums.

Originally, the bridge was thought to be in the billion-dollar range.  Don't see what they can do to lower that by much but then again, I'm not on the AHTD.  I do know that, with yesterday's announcements (NWA hitting officially 500,000 this summer, the new osteopathic(/potential dental/potential PT/potential PA) medical school in Chaffee Crossing) and I-49 work progressing west of Bella Vista (they're working heavily north and south of the highway to Gravette now in numbers I haven't seen even last year) it's clear big things are happening in NWA and FSM that really are calling, no, starting to SHOUT for Arkansas to get off its tail and make at least I-49 from FSM north to the border a reality.  (And it's amazing to think what's fixing to happen SOUTH of Fort Smith whenever I-49 is finished to TXK.).  Again, may not come about for us in our 50s or older to see, but if The Lord doesn't return first  you younger people may see things you'd never dreamt of in Arkansas.   (Hopefully, they'll be good.  :camera: 

Yeah I'd really like to see a connection northward up to I-44.  But yeah, not holding my breath on I-49 through the Ouachitas anytime soon.  Hopefully I'll still be alive when it happens.   :)

"Road to nowhere.  Funding for Bella Vista bypass at risk? thread started on Friday on AA Roads Mid-South board.  (Note the very interesting answer by "AHTD" at thread bottom...that's an official representative of the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department who's been posting on that board for several weeks now.)

40/29 story which triggered the thread above:  http://www.4029tv.com/news/arkansas/northwest/road-to-nowhere-funding-for-bella-vista-bypass-at-risk-if-project-fails/24578684

:yawn:  WHY couldn't Arkansas get its act together back 10 years ago when Missouri was ready to move on this?

Nonetheless...I still think this is going to be OK.  Between 500,000 people, a new Osteopathic and literally only God knows what else medical school in Fort Smith and a mysterious 125-acre Walmart land purchase at the BV bypass south junction, I think someone will make this come about.  :thumbsup:

Bidding started today for the (former)Hiwasse - to - Bentonville section of the Bella Vista bypass.  Just bids, but this is the one that will link up the current north end of I-540 (future I-49) to the highway under construction now.  I'm REALLY curious to see this one develop:

http://www.arkansashighways.com/news/2014/NR%2014-046.pdf

(Need to add: two more projects will complete the Arkansas side of the BV bypass...the first one will be the actual bypass/current Bentonville I-540 interchange; the second will be the one by the BV gun range to the Missouri State line.)

Interesting article today in the ArDemGaz on the BV bypass.  Looks like there are four sections (plus the I-540(future I-49)/south BV Bypass interchange, which is the fifth project).

Here's the timetable:

First section: Hwy 72 east bridge southeast of (former) Hiwasse to Hwy 72 west bridge between Hiwasse and Gravette (to be completed at the end of April).

Second section: Hwy 72 west bridge to road by BV gun range (links Glasgow and Highlands roads in far west BV).  (to be completed by end of 2014, and BOY are they working on it now).

Third section:   Hwy 72 east bridge to current I-540 northern terminus.  (Bid just let for grading, scheduled completion mid-2016.)

Fourth section (not counting interchange).  Road by BV gun range to Missouri State line.  (Indeterminate yet.)

Dick Trammel is quoted, despite concerns that Missouri only has 1/4 - 1/3 of the money for the project now, as believing Missouri will get their end done.  He also said that until that time this will still funnel off much traffic from Bella Vista and help relieve congestion on U.S. 71.

Interesting article today in the ArDemGaz on the BV bypass.  Looks like there are four sections (plus the I-540(future I-49)/south BV Bypass interchange, which is the fifth project).

Here's the timetable:

First section: Hwy 72 east bridge southeast of (former) Hiwasse to Hwy 72 west bridge between Hiwasse and Gravette (to be completed at the end of April).

Second section: Hwy 72 west bridge to road by BV gun range (links Glasgow and Highlands roads in far west BV).  (to be completed by end of 2014, and BOY are they working on it now).

Third section:   Hwy 72 east bridge to current I-540 northern terminus.  (Bid just let for grading, scheduled completion mid-2016.)

Fourth section (not counting interchange).  Road by BV gun range to Missouri State line.  (Indeterminate yet.)

Dick Trammel is quoted, despite concerns that Missouri only has 1/4 - 1/3 of the money for the project now, as believing Missouri will get their end done.  He also said that until that time this will still funnel off much traffic from Bella Vista and help relieve congestion on U.S. 71.

Yeah even if it takes a while for Missouri to get their section done.  It's not like this road will be a complete waste.  It's still going to be able to take some traffic off 71B in Bella Vista.  

Yeah even if it takes a while for Missouri to get their section done.  It's not like this road will be a complete waste.  It's still going to be able to take some traffic off 71B in Bella Vista.  

You got that right, Mith242.  (I think that's the first time I've remembered to add the "242".  Sorry. :)  )

Being said that Louisiana's final section from around Gilliam a couple of miles north to the Arkansas line is ready to go.  (Gilliam all the way to Shreveport is open as of this month).  There is a connector between the bottom of that new Caddo Parish section of interstate in Shreveport that's left to be built to the existing beltway (at I-20) so it's not fully interstate all the way from the line to Lafayette/BR/NO but it's extremely close.  That last section will be ready in 2-3 years.  Also being rumored that Arkansas will have its final Miller County section finished in June, so that means if correct it's all Interstate between Texarkana and Shreveport in 3-4 months.

Also, the bid for the grading said the process would take 240 days.  So given that (according to the AHTD) this will take about 30 days to formalize it appears that we'll see the pathway for the future interstate between the Highway 72 Hiwasse east bridge and future BV connector at Bentonville entirely by year's end.  All land, obviously, has been acquired.  Julles, I guess it's finally happening...I'm really curious to see how this will come about on this section of the interstate, given that it's going past a lot of houses (including yours).

You and me both, KJW. I know a lot of our neighbors are dreading the changes. I'm taking a wait and see attitude. If we end up with enough growth from the bypass and the high school that we get some greatly needed amenities out here (paved roads and decent cable/internet options for starters) .... It will be worth it to me.

Image below from page 27/24 of this .pdf.  In addition, depiction of future current north I-540/east BV bypass linkup from aerial/satellite view on page 24/44 of this .pdf from Siloam Springs presentation.  Most striking beside the completion dates?  Note the boundaries of Gravette now that they annexed what was once know as "Hiwasse"...I'd be surprised if there's not some if not a lot of commercial/residential growth there (already new water/sewer lines have been laid along Hwy 72 between "old" and "new" Gravette), and that little city will benefit:

blVe8cf.jpg

“For a such a long time when we would drive from Fayetteville to Bella Vista we would see dirt flying and projects coming to life, but around 2009 it just stopped. There was nothing going on, no deals to speak of in the commercial sector,” Erstine said.

He said the market downturn over the last three to five years gave local municipalities time to catch up on infrastructure projects that were sorely needed from the rapid population growth of the previous decade. 

“Now that these infrastructure projects are well on their way — (Don Tyson Interchange in Springdale, flyover in Fayetteville, widening of Hwy. 265 between Fayetteville and Springdale, a western loop in Fayetteville and more connectivity in western Rogers around the AMP down to the Pleasant Grove exit) — I think you are going to see private investment made as the cities forge on ahead with their projects,” Erstine said.

This City Wire article talking about growth in NWA due to infrastructure improvement still makes me think with a completed I-49 (through NWA, and even when the river bridge is built to east FSM eventually) we haven't seen anything yet.

(I was at Fort Smith yesterday and saw the pavement laid down for future I-49.  There are lots of homes going in, and these were at a stage when it was clear that the medical school hadn't been announced when they were being built.)

I think to really improve the traffic conditions in that area they'll have to do something 'outside the box'.  But by doing something outside the box, you'll alienate a number of people.  All my experiences with roundabouts is that they work.  Studies have proven they work.  Yet I think many people are hesitant on them because it's something different to them and not something they're used to.  I've also heard mention of a Diverging Diamond for that area.  I wouldn't be opposed to that.  But once again I think because it involves something different than what people are used to, that some won't like that proposal either.  But honestly I think most of the other proposals that most people will be in favor for will only be a bandage and won't help the traffic situation very much in my opinion.

I use the Washington Regional roundabout daily, and I have experienced exactly one issue early after it opened.  A woman was going the wrong way.  I literally drive it every single day of the week, sometimes more than once.  It works great, IMO, based on my hundreds of experiences in it.

I use the Washington Regional roundabout daily, and I have experienced exactly one issue early after it opened.  A woman was going the wrong way.  I literally drive it every single day of the week, sometimes more than once.  It works great, IMO, based on my hundreds of experiences in it.

I have to agree with you.  I use it several times a week and haven't had any problems.  Personally I love it.  I used to have to spend quite a bit of time sitting at the stop sign waiting for all the other directions to go.  Now I hardly ever have to wait and even when I do it's very brief.  Stop signs/stoplight intersections still have their uses.  But I still think roundabouts are under-appreciated and under-valued for being able to handle volumes of traffic efficiently.  

The only roundabout I've used consistently is the one in front of the Pinnacle Neighborhood Market.  It's fine if there's not a lot of traffic, but I've definitely seen some issues.  I don't think people pay attention to which lane of the circle they're in.  I've seen several people stop and get mad because of people merging into lanes that they had the right of way to merge in to, but the other people didn't know that.  

Archived