I-49 One Step Closer to Being Realized

johnnydr87

Right. A lot of communities along both of these interstates in this state will see good times. Besides the obvious cities like El Dorado, NWA region, Ft. Smith and Texarkana a lot of smaller towns I think will see more growth/opportunities than they've seen in years or possibly ever. Glad I-49 is making head way in the northern section of the state and hopefully one day the area between Ft. Smith and Texarkana gains momentum and we actually see some dirt flying from construction.

Bigboyz05,

Don't know if you'd posted this Arkansas Business story from March 24th on TXK, but it hints that I-49 may be sped up because of the I-69/I-369 emergence in Texas.  Very interesting article, and quite frankly, any shaded area south of Texarkana on the right-side map will be accessible via any shaded area in the left-side map north of TXK, via I-49 (and NWA :thumbsup: )...that's quite a corridor:

interstate-49-interstate-69-texarkana-35

Texarkana central to upcoming transportation growth

"Interstate 49 is just one of the big road dreams becoming a reality for Texarkana. With its southern terminus in Lafayette, La., I-49 is a planned north-south route that will end in the Kansas City area. From there, travelers can continue north toward the Canadian border via either I-29 or I-35. Interstate 49 will fill in a longitudinal gap that has been missing from the nation’s road map as the only north-south route between Jackson, Miss., and Dallas. Trucks picking up shipments from the Port of New Orleans traveling to the northern plains and beyond will no longer have to go out of their way through Memphis and St. Louis. It will save at least three hours of driving time to get from the Gulf of Mexico to Kansas City, and under normal circumstances, reduce the travel time from New Orleans to less than 12 hours.

...it’s the sizable gap between Texarkana and Fort Smith through the Ouachita Mountains that remains the biggest hurdle to clear before I-49 can become a non-stop fast-track through the nation’s middle.

While the U.S. Department of Transportation and the Arkansas Highway & Transportation Department have long-term plans in place to finish the approximately 170-mile section, a new interstate has made a surprise appearance in Texarkana (if anything in the slow-motion world of road-building could be described as a “surprise” in the first place.) This new development could shift progress on I-49 into a higher gear....

While I-69 has been sketched, adjusted and inspected since the days when Bill Clinton was president, recent years have seen the state of Texas hitting the acceleration pedal on the project, at least within its own borders. This has brought the highway to Texarkana’s door.

The Alliance for I-69 in Texas is well-aware that its namesake interstate is nicknamed “The NAFTA Highway” for its goal of connecting Canada with Mexico through the North American Free Trade Agreement. However, the Texans see their ports along the Gulf Coast and in Houston rising in importance once another project south of the border is completed. However, this project is even further south than Mexico – the Panama Canal ....A major expansion of the Panama Canal began in 2007 widening the lanes of the waterway to allow shipping freighters triple the size of what’s currently allowed to navigate between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Currently, most large ships from Asia have the choice of either docking somewhere on the western seaboard of the United States and have their cargo trucked across the country or to make the lengthy detour around the tip of South America to access the eastern seaboard. With a larger Panama Canal, those ships will be able to at last take a shortcut and make their way to Houston or New Orleans in a matter of days instead of weeks.

From Houston along its Gulf Coast, highways are being transformed into components of Interstate 69. The state is rallying hard, re-signing and redesignating over a thousand miles of interstate-standard highways in Texas to the I-69 route. These include spurs and connectors with names like I-69E, I-69C, I-69W and I-369.

Interstate 369 is what what will connect Texarkana with this increased number of imports due to appear in the region within the next decade. Taking over what is now U.S. 59, I-369 will be a 115-mile spur reaching down from Texarkana to the vicinity of where the planned I-69 will cross into Texas southwest of Shreveport. The I-369 signs are already up around Texarkana and even online mapping sites display the designation.

Ten years ago, Texarkana had only one interstate. Today, it has the visible makings of three. (One more than West Memphis, the reigning hot spot in Arkansas for busy interstate junctions.) With $513 million to be saved annually by transportation companies across the seven-state area to be served by I-49 and the fast-approaching status of I-69 from the south, it’s a safe bet Texarkana will remain in the middle of it all for decades to come."

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trying to be negative, but is there a reason for the spur to Texarkana from 69?  For anyone truly going to Texarkana, could you not just wait until 49 and go north?  Is there enough traffic for just that city to warrant it?  Just curious.

Not trying to be negative, but is there a reason for the spur to Texarkana from 69?  For anyone truly going to Texarkana, could you not just wait until 49 and go north?  Is there enough traffic for just that city to warrant it?  Just curious.

jb1087, the TexAmericas Center was mentioned above by Bigboyz, and also in the AB article on Texarkana.  We'll see how it unfolds, but that's apparently one reason for the planned spur to Texarkana.

jb1087, the TexAmericas Center was mentioned above by Bigboyz, and also in the AB article on Texarkana.  We'll see how it unfolds, but that's apparently one reason for the planned spur to Texarkana.

Ehh, I guess I'll believe it when it happens.  (And I'm sure it might).  Funny how the website says something about a low cost of living so companies don't have to pay employees much.  Literally, it says that.  

Ehh, I guess I'll believe it when it happens.  (And I'm sure it might).  Funny how the website says something about a low cost of living so companies don't have to pay employees much.  Literally, it says that.  

jb1087, heh.

Actually, I honestly believe the I-369 spur to Texarkana is because of the seven letter word: H-O-U-S-T-O-N.

There's already a sign on I-35 (and U.S. 71 south, I think) indicating turnoffs for that city, Texas' largest single city, obviously.  With this spur (TexAmericas center or not) one can head straight south/southwest without having to go a bit eastward and deal with the traffic of another major metro area (Shreveport).  I'm guessing it will be a time and distance saver for those coming straight down I-49.  Just guessin'.

My guess is partly because of the upcoming inland port at Tex-Americas Center. A rail like is also supposed to be constructed to transport containers from the port in Houston to Tex-Americas where the contents would be broken down and shipped via truck/rail to other areas of the country. I-49 is supposed to funnel traffic through here from the port in New Orleans. Talk about a crap load of traffic coming through here. All these freeways coming through will eventually need to be upgraded to 6 lane freeways.

Saw my first I-49 sign today just north of Pleasant Grove Rd. Good to see it done so quickly after the announcement, though I'm sure it's been planned for a while.

Funny to see so many people on social media get bent out of shape because of the changing of the signs. I heard it was costing ~$70,000. People were acting as if it were costing millions to do.

Saw my first I-49 sign today just north of Pleasant Grove Rd. Good to see it done so quickly after the announcement, though I'm sure it's been planned for a while.

Funny to see so many people on social media get bent out of shape because of the changing of the signs. I heard it was costing ~$70,000. People were acting as if it were costing millions to do.

With you on that, IronScott.  My bigger concern would be for those who have to change their address on advertisements, etc. from "I-540" to "I-49".  However, I'll say that if they'd have followed the Urban Planet's "Northwest Arkansas" board (or the aaroads.com's "Mid-south" forum), they'd have known in advance that this was coming, and fairly fast.   :thumbsup:

With you on that, IronScott.  My bigger concern would be for those who have to change their address on advertisements, etc. from "I-540" to "I-40".  However, I'll say that if they'd have followed the Urban Planet's "Northwest Arkansas" board (or the aaroads.com's "Mid-south" forum), they'd have known in advance that this was coming, and fairly fast.   :thumbsup:

Interesting! I hadn't thought about the business' impact from that perspective. Very true about this board. This is the best site for really useful information about our area. Period. I found it on accident a couple years ago and check it almost everyday. Some very connected people on here and the information is greatly appreciated.

I think I have heard of some companies called things like 540 roofing, etc.

While the business name would be dated now, it could also be considered nostalgic.

Speaking of road names, does anyone else find it ironic that WALton turns into WALnut between Bville and Rogers?

I-49 will be mainly 6 lanes (3 lanes on each side) through NWA, however, there will be some 8 lane sections in-between several of the busiest exits.

Keep thinking how this completed system will literally run between the busiest Great Lakes port (Duluth) and the busiest U.S. ports, period (Houston, New Orleans, Corpus Christi and in between.

We will need every one of those 8 lanes.

Keep thinking how this completed system will literally run between the busiest Great Lakes port (Duluth) and the busiest U.S. ports, period (Houston, New Orleans, Corpus Christi and in between.

We will need every one of those 8 lanes.

Probably will take a while to widen the current sections as it is.  By the time they finish could be enough of a push to widen those sections that are just 6 to 8.

Probably will take a while to widen the current sections as it is.  By the time they finish could be enough of a push to widen those sections that are just 6 to 8.

Exactly what I was thinking. They will get done with construction only to start more construction.

This really could go in the Texas I-69 thread below, but given I-49 links up (indirectly now, directly in the future) with New Orleans and Baton Rouge I think it's appropriate here:

The Toyota relocation to North Texas is one of the largest such corporate relocations in recent memory.   As others have mentioned, the move was about business climate factors, such as taxes and regulations. 

I think that there is another reason for businesses leaving the West Coast and moving to our side of the country, i.e. the expansion of the Panama Canal!

In the next ten years, large ships will be able to cross the Canal and go to Houston, a port in "a right to work state" and with quicker access to much of the country.    New Orleans and other Gulf of Mexico ports will also benefit.

and;

An estimated $5.25 billion is now being spent to deepen and widen the Panama Canal’s Pacific and Atlantic entrance channels, to raise the water level of Gatun Lake — through which all ships must pass — and to install new locks on both sides of the waterway. It’s due to open in April 2015.

The project is a response to a problem.

The canal is reaching its maximum capacity.

It’s carrying more traffic than it was designed for and is unable to handle the Fabiolas of the world. Termed “post-Panamax” vessels, these huge ships carry more than a quarter of the world’s containerized maritime shipments.

Today, cargo crossing the Pacific bound for the Midwest and Eastern United States must offload at a U.S. Pacific Coast port if the ship carrying it is too large to pass through the canal’s 50-mile waterway.

These goods are then routed across the country using the U.S. “land bridge,” the network of highways and railways linking East and West.

Once the widened canal is navigable, many megaships will no longer need the land bridge.

Instead, they will pass through the canal’s wider locks to offload their cargo at a Gulf or East coast port, such as Houston, New Orleans or New York.

“Trade will shift,” Bachkar said. “Instead of coming to the West Coast, it will go directly to the East Coast and on to Europe.”

These eastern ports are hoping the canal expansion will signal the end of an era — the end of the so-called West Coast Empire.

NOTE: while New York has continued to be a major port, team this story with one also in the American Thinker last year about how Houston has supplanted NYC as the America's #1 goods exporting region.  Now, that being said, much of HOU's exports are petrochemical and likely won't traverse I-69 or I-49.

Yet this still tells me there's a LOT more interest in a completed I-49 (which will link to America's top Great Lakes port, Duluth, as well) than there ever has been...

So it begins, Julles (and NWA friends, especially those who've wondered just how future I-49 will weave from the-community-formerly-known-as-Hiwasse to the current Arkansas north terminus of I-49):

Kolb Grading mobilized this week and has begun moving dirt on the next phase of the BVB.

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3324.msg297746#msg297746

Looks like clearing for the roundabout has begun. This the hillside just behind (SW of) Lowe's in North Bentonville. The opposite side of the hill has also been cleared and is visible from 540/I-49 where it merges into 71B. They are even working right now, on a Saturday afternoon.

post-8360-0-37286400-1400362561_thumb.jp

Looks like clearing for the roundabout has begun. This the hillside just behind (SW of) Lowe's in North Bentonville. The opposite side of the hill has also been cleared and is visible from 540/I-49 where it merges into 71B. They are even working right now, on a Saturday afternoon.

That's them.  (Wonder if they're working already on the other side of the hill just west of Peach Orchard Rd.?)  Here it comes, Julles...

Archived