I-49 One Step Closer to Being Realized

johnnydr87

Hey, itk, I have a question or two for you, if you don't mind....

As I've said before, the BV bypass will be 800 feet behind our house, according to maps we've seen. We are wondering how final the maps are at this point. Could we still be in trouble? (Meaning, could the road still be moved several hundred feet closer?) The last map we looked at was at the November meeting. We have also wondered about some neighbors of ours, who in the last 2-3 years have built HUGE houses right in the path of the road, as far as we can tell. (This is on Miller Church Road). We can't figure out if they just didn't do their homework, or if there's something we don't know. It makes us a little nervous. I'm talking about one house that is easily in the $750,000 range.

Thanks in advance.

Just thought I'd throw this in here, since I was pesimistic earlier about federal funding for highways: http://www.highways.org/Press_Releases/release1-30-07.htm

The House and Senate ploughed through their budget bills, and agreed to fully appropriate fhwa funds for this fiscal year. Which is of course good news for NWA. However, Congress still needs to figure out a long-term solution.

-------

I think I also forgot to mention something about the BV Bypass-- because it is going to be primarily backedby tolls, because construction costs keep going up, and because of the uncertainty of getting future federal funds for highways, AHTD is working especially hard to trim costs where they can on this project to make it a reality. Just thought I'd mention that. So if you don't see a lot of lanes or big interchanges or SPUIs or whatever, on this project or others, it's not because of lack of foresight (though that can happen, in hindsight). It's 99% of the time because there isn't enough money to do everything that everybody wants (or needs).

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any guesses as to when this road will affect the Mena area? 5, 10,15 years?

Unless Mena is talking about building it's own bypass in the near future I don't think this is going to have any near future affects on Mena. I just don't think I-49 is a high priority to the AHTD and I also don't think they think there's proof that there's the traffic to warrant it either. But I have no idea if Mena has plans for a bypass or not. We don't get much Mena news up here. If it's just the whole I-49 I'd certainly lean to the 15 years.

Here's another one I'm interested in, a slimmed down diamond with a roundabout. I would love to see one of those somewhere. I wonder how folks would respond. I know my parents would be completely lost...

I'm still waiting for any roundabout. Everyone always suggests it to Fayetteville but the city seems really hesitant to give them a shot.

Bentonville has been actively seeking them, but not at any major intersections. There is talk of some in Conway tied in with Hendrix...

Yeah I have heard of some of these other cities looking into them. Fayetteville tends to be rather progressive and does a lot of these types of things first. But in this case I think someone else will beat Fayetteville to it.

As I've said before, the BV bypass will be 800 feet behind our house, according to maps we've seen. We are wondering how final the maps are at this point. Could we still be in trouble? (Meaning, could the road still be moved several hundred feet closer?) The last map we looked at was at the November meeting. We have also wondered about some neighbors of ours, who in the last 2-3 years have built HUGE houses right in the path of the road, as far as we can tell. (This is on Miller Church Road). We can't figure out if they just didn't do their homework, or if there's something we don't know. It makes us a little nervous. I'm talking about one house that is easily in the $750,000 range.

Thanks in advance.

Julles, not trying to antagonize you, but...

Is your house in the Gravette school district (far east edge) or the Bentonville school district (far west edge)?

My mother-in-law lives off Mt. Olive Rd. between Centerton and Gravette...every time I drive out there (in land in the Gravette school district, west of Ol' Charley Road) I see a nice new home(s), some of which have to be worth a very pretty penny even if not 3/4 million.

The "Atlanta effect" (lots of nice homes being built in the metro area, away from the crowds and crowded roads) is alive and well in G-town.

Unless Mena is talking about building it's own bypass in the near future I don't think this is going to have any near future affects on Mena. I just don't think I-49 is a high priority to the AHTD and I also don't think they think there's proof that there's the traffic to warrant it either. But I have no idea if Mena has plans for a bypass or not. We don't get much Mena news up here. If it's just the whole I-49 I'd certainly lean to the 15 years.

Thanks for your thoughts....I saw a proposed route that went slightly east of Mena (is that considered a by pass???)

I think without a massive infusion of funds from the federal government specifically for I49/71, the road will be built the way 412 is being built across northern Arkansas- a short stretch at a time. It's the same situation, there isn't that much traffic now, but if it was built the traffic counts would skyrocket.

I would hope those funds would instead go to more pressing needs in NWA such as the 412 bypass and I540 improvements, bu tbecause politics dictate funding, who knows what will happen?

Thanks for your thoughts....I saw a proposed route that went slightly east of Mena (is that considered a by pass???)

Yeah either a bypass or the I-49 route. I think what was being said in the other topic was that it's possible the route around some of these cities and town could be built earlier than parts of the interstate that are in the middle of nowhere because at least there will be some higher traffic counts. But I still don't think we're talking about the near future here. I'm just guessing here but I'd still say I doubt a bypass would be built around Mena in the next 10 years. But I'm no expert on Mena or the traffic there but I just have my doubts there's enough traffic to be building a bypass that soon.

I think without a massive infusion of funds from the federal government specifically for I49/71, the road will be built the way 412 is being built across northern Arkansas- a short stretch at a time. It's the same situation, there isn't that much traffic now, but if it was built the traffic counts would skyrocket.

I would hope those funds would instead go to more pressing needs in NWA such as the 412 bypass and I540 improvements, bu tbecause politics dictate funding, who knows what will happen?

Yeah while traffic counts would go up if they built I-49 would there still be enough to warrant to cost of the project. I still think building a north-south interstate through the east-west running Ouachitas is going to be a rather costly project. And like you said, the AHTD might have a hard time putting that much money to something like that when there are pressing needs elsewhere. Our area of the state being a good point.

Julles, not trying to antagonize you, but...

Is your house in the Gravette school district (far east edge) or the Bentonville school district (far west edge)?

My mother-in-law lives off Mt. Olive Rd. between Centerton and Gravette...every time I drive out there (in land in the Gravette school district, west of Ol' Charley Road) I see a nice new home(s), some of which have to be worth a very pretty penny even if not 3/4 million.

The "Atlanta effect" (lots of nice homes being built in the metro area, away from the crowds and crowded roads) is alive and well in G-town.

We are in the Bentonville school district. If you head toward Gravette on 72, and turn right on Little Road (just past Talamore and the water tower), down the hill and turn right, that's Miller Church Road. You can also reach it from the new Lowe's in Bent/BV by following Peach Orchard Road back to Pumkin Hollow Rd and over to Miller Church.

Anyway, I agree that it's not unusual to see these huge homes out in the middle of nowhere. What surprises me is the fact that they built smack dab in the middle of the path of the BV Bypass. If we knew it was coming 7 years ago when we bought our land (we did), surely they had to know 2 yrs ago when they were building. The only thing we can figure is that maybe they thought the road would never actually be built (ie they weren't counting on a toll road). All the maps we have seen put the road just far enough from us that we will only hear it , and not see it, due to all the trees.

We are in the Bentonville school district. If you head toward Gravette on 72, and turn right on Little Road (just past Talamore and the water tower), down the hill and turn right, that's Miller Church Road. You can also reach it from the new Lowe's in Bent/BV by following Peach Orchard Road back to Pumkin Hollow Rd and over to Miller Church.

Anyway, I agree that it's not unusual to see these huge homes out in the middle of nowhere. What surprises me is the fact that they built smack dab in the middle of the path of the BV Bypass. If we knew it was coming 7 years ago when we bought our land (we did), surely they had to know 2 yrs ago when they were building. The only thing we can figure is that maybe they thought the road would never actually be built (ie they weren't counting on a toll road). All the maps we have seen put the road just far enough from us that we will only hear it , and not see it, due to all the trees.

Julles, thanks. I hope that not too many homes are affected by this although I'm always the one saying "growth is good".

BTW, I saw where that new little mall in Hiwasse is taking really taking shape, and that they're building homes now immediately north (! - the bypass will either go right above or through that subdivision or run fairly close to the south of the new strip mall) of downtown.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry I haven't responded earlier... I've been sick (next year for sure... I'm getting a flu shot!) and here and there, so I haven't been on UP 'till just today!

The only change in the road alignment since the last public hearing, that I'm aware of, is on the south-eastern-most end of the bypass (near 71B). And that was just a tweak. The alignment may have been tweaked a little elsewhere, but not outside the right-of-way bounds that you should have seen last November. If it was about 800' behind your house last you saw, you have nothing to worry about.

The design and alignment is basically finalized, as they are supposed to be purchasing ROW starting this month.

As far as your neighbors... that's too bad. If they built within or too close to the ROW, they probably won't be neighbors for long. Anyway, hope I answered your question.

Sorry I haven't responded earlier... I've been sick (next year for sure... I'm getting a flu shot!) and here and there, so I haven't been on UP 'till just today!

The only change in the road alignment since the last public hearing, that I'm aware of, is on the south-eastern-most end of the bypass (near 71B). And that was just a tweak. The alignment may have been tweaked a little elsewhere, but not outside the right-of-way bounds that you should have seen last November. If it was about 800' behind your house last you saw, you have nothing to worry about.

The design and alignment is basically finalized, as they are supposed to be purchasing ROW starting this month.

As far as your neighbors... that's too bad. If they built within or too close to the ROW, they probably won't be neighbors for long. Anyway, hope I answered your question.

Hey, thanks, Itk. It's great to know that we're in the clear. I guess we'll see what happens with the neighbors.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this is for the future bypass or not, but there is a lot of "culling" of trees now going on off Hwy. 279 between Hiwasse and Bella Vista (the Highlands area, west BV) very much in the vicinity of where the Arkansas part of the bypass will be.

• 4 weeks later...

itk, could you translate this for me? I think it means that the Louisiana legislature's going to fund 1/2 the remainder of the work necessary on I-49 in Louisiana. (I don't know if that's just the portion in Caddo Parish (Shreveport to LA/AR line) or the Lafayette/New Orleans portion.)

Interesting that they believe it won't take much to get the Texarkana(AR) to Ashdown, AR portion to interstate quality. Indeed, it's four lane, but with several non-restricted access points at this period in time. Ashdown to Fort Smith will be the fun part...

itk, could you translate this for me? I think it means that the Louisiana legislature's going to fund 1/2 the remainder of the work necessary on I-49 in Louisiana. (I don't know if that's just the portion in Caddo Parish (Shreveport to LA/AR line) or the Lafayette/New Orleans portion.)

Interesting that they believe it won't take much to get the Texarkana(AR) to Ashdown, AR portion to interstate quality. Indeed, it's four lane, but with several non-restricted access points at this period in time. Ashdown to Fort Smith will be the fun part...

$2.5 billion to build the stretch in Western Arkansas. That will be the tough part.

I'm not sure which segment it is either. I didn't realize they had that much earmarked for I-49 in La.

I believe the reporter meant that the entire future stretch of I-49 is mostly interstate or near interstate quality, except for between Ashdown to Alma.

Federal ear-marks for highway projects typically require a match.

The interesting statement is the increase in cost over six years-- $200 million. Not surprising at all. I would bet that at the last time the official cost estimate was done for Ashdown to Alma, today's cost would be probably about $1 billion, plus or minus, more. Which is why it's not going to happen anytime soon. If inflation rate continues, it will probably be another $1 billion more within the near future. No exageration.

• 3 months later...

Jane to (South) Anderson section of the 4-lane will open in 10 days if not sooner. 4 lane (limited access Jane to Bentonville north limits; Fort Smith to Greenwood) from Greenwood, AR south of Fort Smith all the way to Canada then, and interstate at that save for the aforementioned limited access.

itk or anyone...how's the BV bypass coming along?

Isn't it shocking to see all the projects at home that have no way of being funded while we continue sending billions overseas. Fiscal Conservatives?

Isn't it shocking to see all the projects at home that have no way of being funded while we continue sending billions overseas. Fiscal Conservatives?

Conservative stopped meaning fiscal conservative sometime ago, now it means "morally conservative" or at least they say that while being hauled off to jail or at least out of office. Oh, and also liberal now means "everything bad" and not, well, liberal.

I'm definitely not sure when Republican stopped meaning strict constructionist, but um it definitely doesn't anymore...

And if we leave everyone alone overseas they will love us and hug us and squeeze us and...then cone back into the US and bonb another building.

Oh, and the other side didn't do too much to be fiscally conservative, either...or solve any more problems.

Can we just stick with the topics? Isn't there another forum to rant and rant?

Jane to (South) Anderson section of the 4-lane will open in 10 days if not sooner. 4 lane (limited access Jane to Bentonville north limits; Fort Smith to Greenwood) from Greenwood, AR south of Fort Smith all the way to Canada then, and interstate at that save for the aforementioned limited access.

itk or anyone...how's the BV bypass coming along?

right of way is being acquired still, and consultants are still looking at the tolling aspects of the bypass

right of way is being acquired still, and consultants are still looking at the tolling aspects of the bypass

Right of way aquisition has been a very quiet process so far. Hopefully that is a good thing- after watching Springdale's problems with it's road bond program, quiet is great. Does the state use a third party or does it negotiate on it's own?

Tolling seems like a logical way to go. Other states use it very successfully and it is a user paying system. I would be glad to pay a small charge to avoid Hwy 71 through Bella Vista. The 412 bypass around Springdale would be another good canidate.

Speaking of Springdale and the 412 bypass- anyone else see where a non-government official is threatening non-cooperation on regional highway projects if something isn't done with it soon? Here's the link, although the story isn't real clear on exactly what was said and who the threat was directed to. Morning News Hwy 412 story

Seems like a very counter-productive move on the Chamber's part - starting a public war of words with your major highway funding sources isn't likely to help anything.

Archived