I-49 One Step Closer to Being Realized

johnnydr87

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the WR roundabout too, my only concern with one on Wedington is that it would need to deal with a much larger traffic volume. 

Most anything would be an improvement over what's there now.

It would have a larger volume of traffic, but the present set up clearly doesn't work well, either.  People will adjust.  We are smarter than we give ourselves credit for sometimes. 

They should at least study the diverging diamond intersections that Missouri has started to use at troublesome intersections. There's plenty of youtube videos if one doesn't know how they work. The catch with those is that there's no greenspace to landscape and that would be very disappointing to some.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info, KJW. We have seen quite a lot of activity around here lately; some days we have fleets of AHTD trucks hanging around. They have made big paths through the woods, and we have recently heard that both of our neighbor's ponds will be taken out by the road. I will miss seeing my boy heading through the woods with his pole and tackle box. May have to dig a new pond.

Looks like they will start changing the signage over next week from I-540 to I-49.  It will take about 30 days for the section through NWAR.

http://www.fayettevilleflyer.com/2014/04/16/i-540-receives-new-highway-designation-in-northwest-arkansas/

and: http://talkbusiness.net/2014/04/540-becomes-49/?fb_action_ids=687600364616342&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

WOO-HOO!!!!!

"All that to say, the prevailing thought is each state will pay its own way. But anything can happen. One never knows when a $2 Billion+ earmark will surface." winking0006.gif - AHTD (a genuine official representative of the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department)

http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3321.msg293347#msg293347

The above is from yesterday in the AA Roads forum talking about the section of proposed I-49 (Fort Smith to Texarkana) that runs through Texas.  The quote was made by an individual who is indeed an employee of the AHTD who does post helpful information on there.

All I have to add is that at age 53 I'm still not sure I'll see Arkansas I-49 completed in my lifetime.  But to use a previous analogy, I-49 is closing in on Arkansas from north to south like the claw of a gigantic coconut crab, and this week's re-signage announcement closes the claw a bit farther.  And our friends in Texas (as well as our friends on the Louisiana ports) especially has a HUGE interest in seeing the interstate completed while they complete their section of I-69, linking at Texarkana and just across the line at Shreveport.

With all the important things going on along this slowly-assembling Canada-to-Mexico/Gulf of Mexico corridor, maybe anything can still happen that will expedite the process.

The above is from yesterday in the AA Roads forum talking about the section of proposed I-49 (Fort Smith to Texarkana) that runs through Texas.  The quote was made by an individual who is indeed an employee of the AHTD who does post helpful information on there.

All I have to add is that at age 53 I'm still not sure I'll see Arkansas I-49 completed in my lifetime.  But to use a previous analogy, I-49 is closing in on Arkansas from north to south like the claw of a gigantic coconut crab, and this week's re-signage announcement closes the claw a bit farther.  And our friends in Texas (as well as our friends on the Louisiana ports) especially has a HUGE interest in seeing the interstate completed while they complete their section of I-69, linking at Texarkana and just across the line at Shreveport.

With all the important things going on along this slowly-assembling Canada-to-Mexico/Gulf of Mexico corridor, maybe anything can still happen that will expedite the process.

I guess the really unfortunate thing is that there really ins't any population center between Ft Smith and Texarkana to help push the connection in the Ouachitas.  And then the terrain itself isn't going to help matters.  You're building a north/south interstate through west/east running mountains.  I've really been wondering how they'll eventually handle that.  The days of simply blasting away the mountain seem to be fading.  So I'm wondering if they'll eventually plan on a number of tunnels or what.

Pictures I took today from north of the west side (brand new) Arkansas 72 bridge between "Hiwasse Gravette" and "Gravette Gravette".  :fun:

Standing in future southbound lanes of Bella Vista bypass/I-49.  A year ago old highway 72 ran right by that bridge almost as high as the bridge.  The mound of earth left over from where the old highway was was finally removed at least 1-2 months ago.  Access lanes are carved out either side out of my little phone camera's view.  View is to the south, with the paved section in the distance below the bridge being open next week for as far as to the new Highway 72 bridge southeast of "old Hiwasse".

0419_sfar.jpg

Closer view of the bridge.  One thing.  Each interstate (natch) opens up one area to another.  There was an article posted here a few years ago about Oklahoma's Delaware and Adair Counties being possibly added to the NWA metro area, adding about 62,000 new residents.  The biggest gateway for those areas will likely always be 112 at Siloam Springs.  Yet the two biggest cities in Delaware (the more populous of the two) County are Grove and Jay, each of whose school districts border the Gravette, AR one where most of the BV bypass will run through.  Maybe not a lot, but when this section south of the bridge is linked to I-540 this may help draw more Delaware Countians living on Grand Lake into the metro for driving.  I know there are multiple Benton County people who "holiday" on that lake as well so the road would run both ways.  We'll see.

0419_sclose.jpg

Looking northbound.  Rocky Dell Hollow Road (current northbound end of construction) is about 1-2 miles north.  This is set to be opened in the fall of this year, they say.  When it is, this is when the under-assembly Bella Vista bypass will start to get useful. Bella Vista is the widest of all the northwest Arkansas metro cities.  Most of the west half of BV has to rely on Glasgow (to the north) and Highlands (to the south) as its main arteries, both running east to west and very narrow, curvy and hilly, particularly for the latter.  Glasgow runs through much heavier residential area.  When this section from Rocky Dell Hollow (whose east end is where Glasgow and Highland both meet forming the left side of a large half-oval shape) to the bridge is finished, west Bella Vista residents can hop straight on it to go a ways down to 73, then onto Bentonville.  When the third segment (outlined in the City Wire article above from today) is finished, they'll just drive straight from Rocky Dell Hollow to I-540.

0419_nfar.jpg

I love what you had to say on this topic in Aaroads as well. Texarkana really wants to see I-49 and the I-369 connection completed because the city and much of Bowie/Miller counties will surely explode with growth especially when the planned inland port at Tex Americas Center (formerly Lone Star Ammunition Plant) gets underway.

^^ Thank you, UrbanArkie.

I love what you had to say on this topic in Aaroads as well. Texarkana really wants to see I-49 and the I-369 connection completed because the city and much of Bowie/Miller counties will surely explode with growth especially when the planned inland port at Tex Americas Center (formerly Lone Star Ammunition Plant) gets underway.

Bigboyz05, I do believe this.  I think a completed I-49 and I-69 (even if it were only I-69 Texas, although the full I-69 will be Detroit-to-Mexico, essentially) will honestly be worth as much to Arkansas as anything Walmart has ever done.  (And that's a compliment to Walmart, and a big compliment to the completed interstate.)  I look at a highway map of the U.S. and wonder just why no one ever saw the significance of this particular route before.  Regardless, many, many people are seeing it now.

^^ Thank you, UrbanArkie.

Bigboyz05, I do believe this.  I think a completed I-49 and I-69 (even if it were only I-69 Texas, although the full I-69 will be Detroit-to-Mexico, essentially) will honestly be worth as much to Arkansas as anything Walmart has ever done.  (And that's a compliment to Walmart, and a big compliment to the completed interstate.)  I look at a highway map of the U.S. and wonder just why no one ever saw the significance of this particular route before.  Regardless, many, many people are seeing it now.

Right. A lot of communities along both of these interstates in this state will see good times. Besides the obvious cities like El Dorado, NWA region, Ft. Smith and Texarkana a lot of smaller towns I think will see more growth/opportunities than they've seen in years or possibly ever. Glad I-49 is making head way in the northern section of the state and hopefully one day the area between Ft. Smith and Texarkana gains momentum and we actually see some dirt flying from construction.

If anyone out there knows johnnydr87, who started this thread, tell him this sign now stands about 1/4 mile east of the new Arkansas 73 bridge (where I took those pictures last Saturday).  Had to run a friend to Gravette to pick up his car at the mechanic, and so was blessed to drive this brand new stretch on its first official day in use:

0422_new.jpg

Is this interstate quality?

Well, it's half of an interstate. They did it much like the 412 bypass of Huntsville. To be four land with much more ease in the future.

This State needs to do something to get the roads built. Gas and diesel tax or toll roads, something has to expedite construction. I49, I69, a near interstate quality 412 from border to border and a toll fast lane on I 40 from LR to Memphis.

Is this interstate quality?

This side is, bigboyz05.  I think the other side (future northbound lanes) runs on the other side of the mound to the left, and it's just graded ground right now.  Were that in the same condition as this the sign you see wouldn't have the word "FUTURE" on it.  (One positive note on that: it's a good thing that ground has been graded, which will make it faster to start paving once funds are in place to finish this.)  BTW, you see where they're working on another section of this per my photos above (this one will open up west Bella Vista like it never has been) and in May there will be a ground breaking ceremony for where the current east end of the section I drove yesterday will be extended to existing I-49 at Bentonville.

Archived