Transit-Oriented Development

youbetternot

There is a new section on the MBTA's "T Projects" section outlining the concept of Transit-Oriented development.

http://www.mbta.com/projects_underway/tod.asp

Transit-oriented development (TOD) is compact, walkable development centered around transit stations. Generally including a mix of uses—such as housing, shopping, employment, and recreational facilities—TOD is designed with transit and pedestrians as high priorities, making it possible for visitors and residents to move around without complete dependence on a car.

TOD represents an opportunity for communities all across Massachusetts to enhance their quality of life. With TOD, parking lots and underutilized land near public transportation can be turned into vibrant mixed-use districts, diverse housing, and lively public places. As one of several smart growth tools being promoted by Governor Romney, TOD also contributes to achieving the Commonwealth’s Sustainable Development PrinciplesCommonwealth’s Sustainable Development Principles (95K)

such as concentrating development, providing transportation choice, expanding housing opportunities, and redeveloping existing sites before building on new ones.

This section of the MBTA website will help visitors learn about TOD and the resources available to promote -TOD in Massachusetts.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see a Transit Authority taking it's own initiatives toward land use around its stations. Does it have a listing of TOD's currently in place or ones to be constructed/designed in the future?

If I'm not mistaken, Massachusetts has been a leader in implementing TOD's, correct?

Now this is cool. I always thought it odd that those massive parking lots existed near a subway stop in Boston area of all places. If anything could use a TOD, this is definitely it. I'd love to live in Revere, right on the beach in a condo.

• 9 months later...

This was how it was done in the old days. I can't speak specifically of Boston, but much of present day London (outside central London) came into being because the transit company built tracks then built housing so people would pay to ride the trains. I believe the same happend during the early days of the NYC transit system.

• 4 weeks later...

Bunny out, money in? Wonderland a hot development site [Boston Herald]

" While upscale condos and shops are the norm, companies looking for back-office and storage space might actually shell out the most money.

"With a shortage of warehouse and back-office operations space near Boston, the Wonderland site is a prime location, said Trey Agnew, a senior director in the Boston office of Cushman & Wakefield."

I sure hope housing is built there. I don't see any point for industrial sites to be near the beach (they would want to be near ports instead?) when oceanfront housing is very attractive.

Archived