Atkins Group & Ocean Square

jacksonvillian

FYI...

I will be at another meeting at Atkins' offices mid-next week. I could try to ask as many new questions as possible.

Post your thoughts and questions and I will try to get them on the table at the meeting.

I can say that they are very serious about getting started with the City right away. This project looks great!

- J :thumbsup:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a couple..... You can take your pick.

1. Why is the outdoor plaza, along Forsyth, above street level? Wouldn't there be better street interaction and people watching if it were at ground level?

2. Will this movie theater be an IMAX Theater? Any chance at adding more screens?

3. What type of spaces will line Adams Street?

4. What's the chance of this project's scope, density & height increasing?

5. For the record, I'm just throwing this idea out here. Any thought of maybe adding an urban bowling alley to the scheme? It would add to downtown's entertainment offerings and the few that I've heard about (ex. Tampa's Channelside and Louiville's 4th Street Live) seem to be pretty popular.

What is the anticipated time frame for taking reservations on the units? What down payment % will be required?

Also, Lake's question about increasing the density is high on my list. I think adding a dozen or so units in the 900-1300 sq. ft range would be very beneficial to downtown and also would be very popular. The Caling and 11 E. units are mostly in the 575-1000 sq. ft range, and have been quite popular.

OK, here ya go - a few answers to some of the questions...

1. Parking - Atkins plans to do a total demo including basement excavation. This will allow for an expanded underground of the entire site footprint, right now only a portion of the site is basement related. Also, the new sructure will have new, fewer load points, elimating the column placement ev ery 25 foot on center. Bottom line, 120 spaces underground, 40 above.

2. Theater, Restaurant - The IMAX possibility IS being explored. Regardless, the theater and restaurant element is a done deal and will continue to take shape over the next few months. Art-Deco is the interior theme. No chance of adding screens.

3. Retail - Meetings are set with two different gourmet/boutique grocers (fresh-market style). A pharmacy was also mentioned, as was Barnes & Noble. Apparently discussions are underway with several retailers.

4. Outdoor Plaza - The plaza is connected to the retail, theater and restaurants. The reason that it is elevated above street level is for two-fold. One, the topography drops from Adams to Forsyth several feet, so to create a more functional grade for interior spaces, the plaza on Forsyth street side is slightly elevated. This also allows for a more intimated seating arrangement within the plaza next to the sidewalk, as well as permitting adequate clearance for undergroung parking in the garage. Total height of the plaza deck is about four feet above street level... much better than the "wall" in front of the library now.

5. Adams Street Side - Retail spaces and the main Condominium entrance, common areas, etc.

6. Height and Scope - The tower is approx. 190 feet height, ten shy of 11E. There is a total of eleven levels with the top level having townhouse layouts. As to whether or not additional levels might be added, it's possible, but not probable. Apparently concrete and steel prices are driving alot of this reasoning. However, Atkins did say that if the pre-sales go well, they could look at adding units or reconfiguring unit sizes based on demand.

7. As for pre-sales and reservations, Atkins says it wants to roll out marketing by year's end... prices begin at 249K and go to 1M for the largest units. Average is around 500K.

Hope this helps. Post more and I will continue to bird-dog it!!

- J :thumbsup:

Good work and thanks for taking the time to post. Movie Theater, possible mega bookstore or gourmet grocery... talk about feeling some long desired needs. It certainly looks like they have put a lot of time and effort into this planned development. If everything goes successful, this has the potential to be the project needed to boost downtown, in terms of livability and entertainment, to the next level.

Archived