New Saks Fifth Avenue in former Montaldo's?

nyxmike

I knew the old Mint Museum of Craft & Design would be a great building for major retail - hopefully something like Saks Fifth Avenue. I think if a major department store opened downtown, it would help generate a lot more retail there (the Epicentre will help too).

I'm glad everything is starting to come together - it's about time.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CBJ is reporting that SAKS has been looking at the Mint Museum of Craft as a possible location

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:w00t:

that would be awesome. i think i'd rather them be on eliz ave for some reason, as it could help make that street a walking retail street... but anywhere intown would be great.

i hope they make it happen, urban department stores are definitely missing from this city.

CBJ is reporting that SAKS has been looking at the Mint Museum of Craft as a possible location

The Charlotte Observe columnist Insider Jeff Elder also said that Saks is rumored to be looking at an uptown loaction.

Well, now that it's in the press...

Yep, that's what I was told, that SAKS is looking at the old Montaldos...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow. That would be awesome. I don't even want to get my hopes up that high, I'll just remain pleased on the condo ground breakings.

Something to note on those condo buildings is that they've all got ground floor retail. Sooner or later some non-entertainment (and non-dry cleaner) based retail has got to start making it into some of these spaces. I don't think we need any more high-end restaurants.

I tend to think that Saks would be incredibly stupid to take that space. Not that I don't like the idea, but I just can't imagine them turning a profit unless BofA essentially gives them the space (which I could see them possibly doing for 1-3 years).

The best fall-out of this is that it would GREATLY enhance uptown's appeal to every retailer in the nation. It would lead to instant retail demand.

All that said, I can't see too many Myers Park mommies willing to shop downtown, but maybe I'm wrong.......one of Center City Partner's and C-DOT primary goals is to improve vehicle circulation and parking for people driving into uptown.

I tend to think that Saks would be incredibly stupid to take that space.  Not that I don't like the idea, but I just can't imagine them turning a profit unless BofA essentially gives them the space (which I could see them possibly doing for 1-3 years). 

The best fall-out of this is that it would GREATLY enhance uptown's appeal to every retailer in the nation.  It would lead to instant retail demand.

All that said, I can't see too many Myers Park mommies willing to shop downtown, but maybe I'm wrong.......one of Center City Partner's and C-DOT primary goals is to improve vehicle circulation and parking for people driving into uptown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All good points. I guess we'll just sit back and hope. Would someone have looked at you cross-eyed six years ago if you'd said by 2006 there'd be 50 story residential towers under construction in Uptown? Maybe we're on a roll here and it will take a life of its own.

So, what happens to the Mint? Even if the arts package gets funding, it will be at least two to three years before it could get designed and built. Do they just pack up all the art work and put it in storage for an undetermined amount of time?

Methinks there's something fishy about this one (Can you smell DeeDee working behind the scenes?), especially since Saks is closing several of its downtown stores (in cities that have a far higher number of both residents and workers at their cores--Minneapolis comes to mind).

I hope Sak's idea of a commitment to downtown doesn't end up being like their store in Charleston.  It's about as big as my living room.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol.....I feel the same way....the first time I went in, I kept looking for the escalators to the second level.

Well the Myers Park mommies are going to have to get over it. Something has to make people return downtown to shop - it won't happen over night but I think a Saks will help lure people in - the funny part is that Charlotte's downtown is so easily accessible (not a lot of traffic - plenty of roads in - plenty of parking thats free after certain hours/days) yet most people there complain about how it's a "hassle."  :rolleyes:

I think malls are worse anyways..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a hassle if you don't know how to do it. Most people only come downtown on a rare occasion and they don't know where to go. But, if you provide sufficient motivation, they'll learn pretty quickly.

if saks comes in before ANY other retailers it would essentially be like downtown Dallas, where there's a Neimans and not much else. Dept stores are usually the last retail to make it downtown. I could see it happening as part of a planned development like Elizabeth Avenue. Otherwise, there are no other shopping opportunities. Tryon Street doesnt really have many storefronts if you think about it. Most of the new ones were designed for restaurants.

i wonder if you could do a vertical urban mall on the Carolina Theater site, anchored by Saks next door.

It's a hassle if you don't know how to do it.  Most people only come downtown on a rare occasion and they don't know where to go.  But, if you provide sufficient motivation, they'll learn pretty quickly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

True, but it's not like downtown is large enough to the point where people can get lost easily - it's really easy to navigate - I guess they will figure that out in time..

The Charlotte Observe columnist Insider Jeff Elder also said that Saks is rumored to be looking at an uptown loaction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank goodness. This makes so much sense! In addition to a rapidly growing center city residential population, most of the big department stores in the center other major cities seem to feed off day-time workers.

All good points.  I guess we'll just sit back and hope.  Would someone have looked at you cross-eyed six years ago if you'd said by 2006 there'd be 50 story residential towers under construction in Uptown?  Maybe we're on a roll here and it will take a life of its own.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent point. I think that it will be like a dust bunny rolling across the flow...picking up more dust as it rolls along. (Sorry about the analogy...I genuinely believe that once the momentum begins, it will grow in scope. Then the "Myers' Park mommies" will shop downtown b/c it'll be cool...like being able to go to downtown Philly, Boston, Chicago, Indy, etc...a unique shopping destination.)

Thank goodness.  This makes so much sense!  In addition to a rapidly growing center city residential population, most of the big department stores in the center other major cities seem to feed off day-time workers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

another factor that would really support a tryon street Saks, (especially a block from the square) is that many of the city's wealthiest and highest class residents already come to tryon street for the arts, such as Blumenthal. Much of this city's wealth is earned on Tryon, so it would not be completely out of character for the wealthiest people (ie. Saks customers) to go to Tryon to shop and play. Even if this is a small store, it would be a very large boost to Tryon if we were to get a Saks there.

I do wish, though that there were room for me-too stores, though, if saks did come. However, it could lead to stronger retail components of the Carolina Theatre project and the plans for the block that would have been the BofA/Mint project. Maybe discovery place can figure out how to expand with retail space to fund part of their needs.

While I think it would be great to have some retail along Tryon, I really want N. Brevard to become the main shopping drag for Uptown.....but then cities with large downtowns have shopping spread out over many different shopping streets.

While I think it would be great to have some retail along Tryon, I really want N. Brevard to become the main shopping drag for Uptown.....but then cities with large downtowns have shopping spread out over many different shopping streets.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do you think Brevard would make a good area for retail?

Why do you think Brevard would make a good area for retail?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it isn't good right now, but Brevard is in all the uptown plans to be a major pedestrian corridor.

Levine's plans for his land in First Ward aim to make brevard a retail/pedestrian corridor, and the city/state plan to upgrade Brevard to have Tryon Street-style pedestrian amenities, like huge fancy sidewalks.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a possibility, or maybe just a rumor:

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../11/story2.html

I think that if the whole half block were redeveloped to include a small Saks aimed at 25-50 year old white collar employees uptown, along with an Ann Taylor and a Brooks Brothers or the like, it would do well, especially if customers had free parking. Any thoughts?

Archived