A New Addition to the Nashville Skyline

GaTechGuy

The Nashville City Paper reported that there will be an unveiling of a new sculpture that will be located downtown on the eastern bank of the Cumberland, across from where Broadway dead ends into first avenue. The sculptor is described as "massive" and will be lit from both the interior and exterior so that it will be highly visible both day and night. According to the article the actual design won't be revealed until July 21st.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=42759

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

REALLY Weird. So this sculpture will by 100 feet wide, by 60 deep, and 100 feet tall !!?!?!?!?!? By the looks of her other works, it seems like it will look like a roller coaster of some sort....

I sure hope it looks cooler than her other sculptures....

Personally, I think the fountain with light features (that they mentioned in the article) would be alot cooler.....

I just got onto the Nashville Civic Design Center's webpage and looked at the other designs, and this is probably what I looked like: :huh:

And then, when I scrolled down, I probably looked like this: :rofl:

Why, because I saw exactly what we didn't need: a 100 foot long guitar. WHAT THE CRAP!?!?

Here's the link.

http://www.civicdesigncenter.org/exhibits-publicart.html

It's not so unusual for someone to propose a guitar. Don't worry, that's not what we're going to get, but what would you do if you were in their position and unfamiliar with a city except for your own media impressions? For Charlotte, a big aluminum check? Winston-Salem? A big donut or cigarette? Chattanooga, a big choo choo train? Memphis, a big cotton ball? Things could be worse than a big guitar, but luckily, that's not going to happen. This will be for the city, not just for tourists who know no better. The artist will be interpreting the history of that land over there, very industrial, very important to the early development of the city, long before the music business was even a glint in anyone's eye. Be patient, we'll see. Chances are it'll be like most modern, industrial art. Many people will look at it with a "wtf?" look, some will understand it, some will like it, and some won't. Let's give the old gal the benefit of the doubt for now. Personally, I like industrial sculpture, so I'm going to give it my best shot. I suggest we all at least try to do the same.

I also liked the guitar better than the rest.... which DOES say alot !!!!!!!

I have seen some neat examples of industrial art.... but none of these finalists... including the lady that was chosen seem to be any good.... its really too bad. Something of this size and at this location could be AWESOME!!!!!

Hopefully though, Nashville will inspire her to do something that will blow everyone away!!!!

Archived