Big News For Little Rock National Airport

I have family who work at the airport in LR and after talking to them it is my understanding that United Express will operate flights to Chicao O'Hare and to Denver. Now, that is not in 100% certain yet, however, very good chance.

Yes, United was my guess but I suppose we'll have to wait and see what happens. Too bad there is market overlap with United now as Frontier offers service to Denver, and both American and Southwest offer service to Chicago - this means very little chance of mainline service with United that we used to have.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have family who work at the airport in LR and after talking to them it is my understanding that United Express will operate flights to Chicao O'Hare and to Denver. Now, that is not in 100% certain yet, however, very good chance.

I was hoping that United would provide the direct flight to LA.

I don't know how they are going to compete with American and Southwest on the Chicago route because they are well established. Plus American has, what, six flights to Chicago now. I think the only way United can compete with that is match it or have flights on mainline jets which they won't do.

I don't mind the Denver flights as long as they are at good times.

I don't know how they are going to compete with American and Southwest on the Chicago route because they are well established. Plus American has, what, six flights to Chicago now. I think the only way United can compete with that is match it or have flights on mainline jets which they won't do.

I agree. If United expects to be successful in the market, they'd better offer something that the competition does not, and a new destination would be ideal. Especially LA!

So, now that the $250M new terminal has been proposed, what are your thoughts on this and how likely is it that it will be built?

My thoughts:

1 - I support this endeavor. Airports are a significant public asset and an indicator of the vibrancy and progressiveness of an area. Additionally, in Little Rock's case, it is a HUGE economic engine as well. $250M is a significant sum of money, but in the long run, would be an investment in the cities future. Remember that the airport has spent something like $100M in the past 10 years patching the existing infrastructure.

2 - I would put the odds of this actually seeing the light of day at 50:50. On the negative side, the general narrow-mindedness and suspicion of the Arkansas politicians whom this must pass through. On the positive side, there are some real movers and shakers in the city and on the Airport Commission who have the ability to make things happen. Additionally, who needs a reminder about the big one (FedEx)?

The flight to Denver will be great in my opinon. Not very many people even look at frontier if they are looking to fly. The main reason for the flight to Chicago would be to get market share. The way the airlines operate is that you normally fly out of a smaller airport to one of its hubs to connect to one of its smaller airports. United's hubs are in Chicago, and Denver and that is baiscally their gateway to the rest of the country. You can't fly from a small market airport like LR to just any larger airport, it has to be a hub of some airline. I don't think United is trying to get the people who are just wanting to fly to Chicago, I doubt that is that profitable of a flight due to how many flights a day there are between the two cities, yet its to get people to fly to its other destinations.

So, now that the $250M new terminal has been proposed, what are your thoughts on this and how likely is it that it will be built?

My thoughts:

1 - I support this endeavor. Airports are a significant public asset and an indicator of the vibrancy and progressiveness of an area. Additionally, in Little Rock's case, it is a HUGE economic engine as well. $250M is a significant sum of money, but in the long run, would be an investment in the cities future. Remember that the airport has spent something like $100M in the past 10 years patching the existing infrastructure.

2 - I would put the odds of this actually seeing the light of day at 50:50. On the negative side, the general narrow-mindedness and suspicion of the Arkansas politicians whom this must pass through. On the positive side, there are some real movers and shakers in the city and on the Airport Commission who have the ability to make things happen. Additionally, who needs a reminder about the big one (FedEx)?

Of course I support the new terminal. In all fairness after the work they've already done the airport really is very nice for a small to mid-sized airport. No doubt they need more gates and without them there's no capacity to add carriers.

The thing I really would support, though, is the expansion in order to add space for Raytheon and Dassault/Falcon and their affiliates. Jobs like that are pure gold for a city like LR and manufacturing jobs of the class these days are rare and precious when they are disappearing across the country.

My thoughts:

I support it also, but the thing that scares me is that the airport commission is going to ask the city and state to chip in on this.

I doubt if the city will provide any funds since it is dealing with a tight budget of its own. Maybe if the new jail tax in the county passes, and that's a big if, the $2 million they were giving to the county for the jail can be given to the airport commission to help pay off bonds.

The state is a whole other animal altogether. Politicians from other parts of the state will have to be convinced that this is going to be a benefit for them and not just for those in central Arkansas. You would think that this would be easy since many people from other parts of the state, particularly southern Arkansas use the airport. The commission may have a fight on their hands to get money from the state.

I support it also, but the thing that scares me is that the airport commission is going to ask the city and state to chip in on this.

I doubt if the city will provide any funds since it is dealing with a tight budget of its own. Maybe if the new jail tax in the county passes, and that's a big if, the $2 million they were giving to the county for the jail can be given to the airport commission to help pay off bonds.

The state is a whole other animal altogether. Politicians from other parts of the state will have to be convinced that this is going to be a benefit for them and not just for those in central Arkansas. You would think that this would be easy since many people from other parts of the state, particularly southern Arkansas use the airport. The commission may have a fight on their hands to get money from the state.

I agree. The political scene will be difficult. And honestly - as much as I love airports and LRN in particular - the jail must come first. The rise in violent crime rate this year has a lot to do with jail overcrowding. The reason that the rate went way down in the late '90's was because the jail had just expanded.

I agree. The political scene will be difficult. And honestly - as much as I love airports and LRN in particular - the jail must come first. The rise in violent crime rate this year has a lot to do with jail overcrowding. The reason that the rate went way down in the late '90's was because the jail had just expanded.

I agree but I worry about that tax passing as well. If the county hadn't squandered money elsewhere this wouldn't be an issue, or at least as much as one. The bike bridge was the thing that surprised me the most - why were the building that if money was so tight they were reducing jail capacity by a third?

• 1 month later...

2005 Numbers for emplaments were 1,265,098 up from 1,138,249 in 2004.

Yes, you stated this correctly in that that is approximate enplanements, i.e. "boardings". This does not count arrivals. So the total number is approximately 2.6M. It is important to clarify, because some airports just throw out a number and never clarify whether or not its boardings, arrivals, or both. In other words, they's say that the airport "...serves 1.2M per year." when in fact its both enplanements and deplanements, or in this case half of Little Rock's service.

Oh....great pictures by the way!!!!

Yes, you stated this correctly in that that is approximate enplanements, i.e. "boardings". This does not count arrivals. So the total number is approximately 2.6M. It is important to clarify, because some airports just throw out a number and never clarify whether or not its boardings, arrivals, or both. In other words, they's say that the airport "...serves 1.2M per year." when in fact its both enplanements and deplanements, or in this case half of Little Rock's service.

Most, if not everyone in the airline industry count emplaments. That's the way the FAA rates airport sizes for the year.

Most, if not everyone in the airline industry count emplaments. That's the way the FAA rates airport sizes for the year.

Yes, you are correct (except that it is spelled "enplanements"). I was just clarifying that some airports promote the total number and/or other outlets (media) combine both numbers so that he knew what he would be comparing.

You know, I suppose practicality of timelines would preclude this, but its unfortunate that $15M has to be outlaid in the short term in the shadow of a new $180M terminal.

Well the terminal is still many years off, even if it was approved today, you are still talking 5+ years before it would open.

Ive seen the concepts/layouts for the new terminal, and it is quite nice, but for a net gain of 4-6 gates it is quite overkill. The terminal also doesnt need to adequately plan for smaller aircraft such as regional jets which make up half of the fleet using the terminal.

The costs of a remodeling and expansion of the exisitng terminal seemed rather overstated as well. Seems like someone sold some people on the new terminal when it really isnt needed.

For 1/2 the cost they can:

*re-align the roadways

*modernize the ticket counters/inline baggage screening

*widen the concourse/expand retail 2nd level arrival lobby area

*add an additional concourse for regional jets

*give the overall building a facelift visual purposes.

You know, I suppose practicality of timelines would preclude this, but its unfortunate that $15M has to be outlaid in the short term in the shadow of a new $180M terminal.

Maybe this can be incorporated into the new terminal. I know at one time there was a plan that would incorporate part of the old terminal into the new terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

This morning's ADG had an article about LIT getting international service with the possiblity of flights to Mexicana and that they were approached by Mexicana about a flight to Guadalajara. This might impact planning for the new terminal to a degree.

Since the new terminal probably wouldn't be funded and completed for years, by then maybe Arkansas outside of NWA will have the Hispanic population to support international flights. I wouldn't see this happening for years but it was interesting to see some actual information instead of just speculation.

There's a lot of momentum behind the airport right now.

Archived