Big News For Little Rock National Airport

Southwest, of course.

People support it because AA has a virtual monopoly on national flights out of Dallas, despite Southwest being HQ'd here. It is already having a drastic impact on prices, last minute prices to KC and St Louis are going to fall from $800-1000 to $129.

This can't be good news at all for AA, along with other financial problems.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LIT officials announced yesterday that 100,572 passengers will pass through during the Christmas/New Year holiday period, up from 94,600 during the same period last year.

The numbers, obtained from a survey of advanced bookings for Dec. 19-Jan. 7, show that the heaviest days of travel will be Dec. 26-28.

The airport expects the most passengers on the 27th, with 5,100. The next heaviest day is Dec. 26, with 4,902, followed by Dec. 28, with 4,589.

• 1 month later...

I'll be using the new MCO (Orlando) flight in January. It'll be my first time on a little EMB-145.

erj.jpg

Me too. Our family is heading to Disney World the last week in March, and we're taking the direct LIT-MCO Delta flight.

I should note that the direct flight XNA (Northwest Arkansas) had to Orlando has been dropped. My in-laws are going with us and had booked the direct flight. They were notified the other day that this route has been cancelled.

I should note that back in August when Delta offered the XNA flight, they actually added a second daily LR flight. However, when they announced bankruptcy 3 months later, they dropped the second LR flight (along with hundreds of other cost-saving adjustments). Regardless, this shows that the demand from LR is high.

I'm surprised that Southwest doesn't offer a direct LR-ORD flight. They do from Jackson, MS, and that airport handles barely HALF the traffic LR does. However, I just checked their website and Orlando is Jackson's number 2 destination behind Houston and just ahead of Atlanta. Weird.

I'm surprised that Southwest doesn't offer a direct LR-ORD flight. They do from Jackson, MS, and that airport handles barely HALF the traffic LR does. However, I just checked their website and Orlando is Jackson's number 2 destination behind Houston and just ahead of Atlanta. Weird.

Little Rock offers a nonstop fight daily to Chicago Midway on Southwest. Southwest rarely if at all operates at Chicago O'Hare.

SORRY! I used the wrong code. I meant Orlando, not Chicago Midway! So to restate, I am surprised that Southwest doesn't offer direct service to Orlando from Little Rock.

I was a bit suprised, but Oklahoma City and Tulsa don't have flights to Orlando Nonstop on Southwest. I think they offer at LIT a nice 1 stop flight to Orlando that stops in Houston for 45 minutes or so.

I was a bit suprised, but Oklahoma City and Tulsa don't have flights to Orlando Nonstop on Southwest. I think they offer at LIT a nice 1 stop flight to Orlando that stops in Houston for 45 minutes or so.

Honestly, I think that's the best that can be expected. Neither LR or Orlando is a major hub, Orlando's airport is huge but it is an end-destination. There's not enough traffic between the two to merit direct flights. LR's direct flights seem to be to other hub locations, which makes sense. However, Southwest does fly direct LR to Vegas so that kind of debunks that a bit.

Honestly, I think that's the best that can be expected. Neither LR or Orlando is a major hub, Orlando's airport is huge but it is an end-destination. There's not enough traffic between the two to merit direct flights. LR's direct flights seem to be to other hub locations, which makes sense. However, Southwest does fly direct LR to Vegas so that kind of debunks that a bit.

What you say is true. However, Delta DOES offer a direct flight from LR to Orlando, and I'm just surprised that Soutwest does not even though they do in smaller markets like Jackson, MS.

Southwest really doesn't follow the typical airport hub structure that most people see with other airlines. Southwest follows more of a mini hub structure by providing most of it's airports to connect to other airports one might not typically see.

Orlando is one of Southwest's biggest cities with nonstop service daily to: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Albquerque, Austin, San Antonio, Houston Hobby, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago Midway, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville, Nashville, Birmingham, Raleigh-Durham, Pittsburgh, Norfolk, Jackson MS, Ft. Myers, Ft. Lauderdale, Baltimore BWI, Philadelphia, Long Island/Islip, Hartford, Buffalo/Niagra Falls, Albany, Manchester, and Providence RI.

Southwest really doesn't follow the typical airport hub structure that most people see with other airlines. Southwest follows more of a mini hub structure by providing most of it's airports to connect to other airports one might not typically see.

Orlando is one of Southwest's biggest cities with nonstop service daily to: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Albquerque, Austin, San Antonio, Houston Hobby, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago Midway, New Orleans, Indianapolis, Columbus, Louisville, Nashville, Birmingham, Raleigh-Durham, Pittsburgh, Norfolk, Jackson MS, Ft. Myers, Ft. Lauderdale, Baltimore BWI, Philadelphia, Long Island/Islip, Hartford, Buffalo/Niagra Falls, Albany, Manchester, and Providence RI.

Orlando is one of everyone's biggest cities. I guess the point is most LR flights seem to be to hubs, especially DFW and Atlanta. I don't know what percentage of flights from LR connect to get to their destination but I would bet it's at least 3/4.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Orlando is one of everyone's biggest cities. I guess the point is most LR flights seem to be to hubs, especially DFW and Atlanta. I don't know what percentage of flights from LR connect to get to their destination but I would bet it's at least 3/4.

Most all of LR's traffic is to hubs. This is how you service the greatest number of people with the greatest number of options. More flights to non-hub cities actually means fewer options to travelers. For example, LIT offers service to the following hubs...

DFW- AA

Chicago- AA

St Louis- AA

Atlanta- Delta

Salt Lake City- Delta

Cincinnati- Delta

Charlotte- US Airways

Kansas City- US Airways

Memphis- NWA

Detroit- NWA

Minneapolis- NWA

Houston- Continental

Newark- Continental

Denver- Frontier

The only other flights were initiated because of particularly high demand from LR travelers (i.e. Orlando, Las Vegas, Phoenix). Additional flights to existing cities actually provide more options to more passengers than direct cities. Every other non-hub airport works the same way (Nashville, Jackson, Austin, XNA, etc.).

• 1 month later...

I was on LR Nationals site and they had a flight to Sioux Falls, South Dakota on NW Airlines. Does that make any since? They also have several flights on British Airways to Chicago O'Hare and DFW.

Arivals and Depatures

The link wont show the sioux city flight after today at 11:55 pm

Isn't Sioux Falls, South Dakota where a lot of Citi (Citibank) credit card offers come from? Citibank is Acxiom's largest and longest customer. just a hunch

I was on LR Nationals site and they had a flight to Sioux Falls, South Dakota on NW Airlines. Does that make any since? They also have several flights on British Airways to Chicago O'Hare and DFW.

Arivals and Depatures

The link wont show the sioux city flight after today at 11:55 pm

Often Airport Time tables show flights that happen after right after a stop at a hub. For Example: that flight was probably to Minneapolis/ St. Paul International, where the same plane at the same gate was used for a flight to Sioux Falls. It happens quite frequently. I've seen some with Tulsa that have flights to Seoul, South Korea and Japan.

Frontier Airlines does offer 2 daily flights from Little Rock National to Denver International onboard the Horizon Air Express which is on a 70 Seat CRJ-700 Jet.

At the "Rockin on the Runway" event this weekend at the airport, I spoke with a Frontier representative at one of the booths, and she said that their load factors in LR were very high, and she was confident that they would be upgrading service. I'm not sure if she meant adding a flight or going mainline. I've heard rumors about the mainline service.

Archived