Fuddruckers bites the dust

it's just dave

I noticed a while back that Fuddruckers at West End and 21st Ave. had closed. It seems, according to an article in this (Tues, 7/12) morning's Tennessean that the properties housing that restaurant and a couple of others will be razed for the construction of a new retail center. Salathai Restaurant is also on shaky ground as it's part of the overall parcel. I hope they'll be able to locate into the new center.

As West End continues its transformation, it appears retail is springing up like new condos in the area. The developers anticipate at least two restaurants as part of the plan in addition to stores catering to the daytime business population and Vanderbilt medical and university communities (and hopefully, residents of the area). Urban Zoning Ordinance will assure it won't be suburban in nature, but will build to the street with hidden parking in the back. I certainly hope no variances to challenge this ordinance are pursued (I think they'd lose anyway).

The article states more and more properties are changing hands in the area and that more retail will be coming soon. This follows yesterdays announcement that the Midtown Plaza building is to be converted to a boutique hotel with restaurants on street level.

It'll be hard to recognize West End in coming years.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! They can't take out Salathai!!!!! Thats one of my three favorite places to eat in the city! If it gets taken I really hope its able to relocate on West End or downtown.

As for Fuddruckers, didn't it have constant issues with the health department anyway, ie frequently making low scores. I see it as no big loss, but I know several folks who will. I know of much better hamburger joints though (IMO).

I think I remember that Fudruckers anounced maybe a couple of months ago that they were going to add 4 or 5 new locations in the Nashville area. I thought I saw the article in the NBJ. This makes the third one I have seen close. There was the one downtown on 2nd and the other was at the intersection of Harding and Nolensville RD. From the way the article read was they lost thier lease. Be excited about what else may go in there. I do hope that Salathai finds a new location.

• 11 months later...

Any news on this project? The sign next to the Fuddrucker's building says 'opening fall 2006', but that obviously can not happen. Is it dead? Maybe growing in scope? I think a retail-only development in this prime location makes no sense.

I agree with you that retail only would be a gross miscalculation on the part of the property owner. On this one NewTowner and Cdub should rule the day for the shorties...say a 7-story block long building with a couple of levels of retail, garage parking, and 3 or 4 levels of residential. I envision a residentail 2525 West End but without the mistake of having a parking lot front the street.

Any news on this project? The sign next to the Fuddrucker's building says 'opening fall 2006', but that obviously can not happen. Is it dead? Maybe growing in scope? I think a retail-only development in this prime location makes no sense.

This one I have heard something about. Vandy is in talks with prospective developers for a mixed use hotel and retail project. The developers original plans are still an option, but it is not the optimal use for the property.

Brain, for a person that is not living in Nashville, you have a lot of great info as to what may happen. Keep up the great work and keep us informed.

I am surprised that Vandy has not got a Hotel Management School. Maybe this is a start.

Thanks, Ron, but I should have qualified my previous comment. Vandy does not control this property. The developers have talked with VU about a joint development, but a/o two months ago, VU wasn't interested in just a project on that corner. They also wanted more control over development. The owners know they have a great parcel and don't believe they need VU. So that's the last I heard from my close friend in campus development at VU. (BTW: I've told him about this site. So I think he's a lurker.)

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone eaten @ Fudpuckers on Hwy 98 in Florida?

Fudpuckers?? LOL. Yes! I love that place. Live alligators! Don't kill yourself on the stairs leaving and entering the place though...

As for Fuddruckers, it seems they picked some spots that were destined to become something else for Nashville. There used to be one over by the now defunct Harding Mall...right next door to Chi Chis, which I never got to go to. One became IHOP and the adjacent restaurant became something else. Fuddruckers on West End was great!! Been a while since I went there but now I am sorry to see there are no more anywhere near town.

Fudpuckers?? LOL. Yes! I love that place. Live alligators! Don't kill yourself on the stairs leaving and entering the place though...

As for Fuddruckers, it seems they picked some spots that were destined to become something else for Nashville. There used to be one over by the now defunct Harding Mall...right next door to Chi Chis, which I never got to go to. One became IHOP and the adjacent restaurant became something else. Fuddruckers on West End was great!! Been a while since I went there but now I am sorry to see there are no more anywhere near town.

Even the one in Murfreesboro is gone. :(

Ask them if they can bring back Fuddruckers too.... as part of the new development of course :)

Here's the response: " We are planning a retail project. We have looked at several different development scenarios and are close to making decision about what to move forward with. At the very least there will be a retail component. The jury is still out on whether there will be any office or residential space."

Who cares about Fuddruckers? It's not as if it is some rare Nashville institution or something. It may be a good place to get a burger, but I personally am not upset about a suburban style restaurant biting the dust in one of Nashville's urban neighborhoods, especially when there are many other branches of that restaurant to go to, and if it significantly strengthens the urban fabric of the neighborhood itself.

EDIT: For note, I was referring to the building the restaurant is in as suburban, and not the chain itself.

Who cares about Fuddruckers? It's not as if it is some rare Nashville institution or something. It may be a good place to get a burger, but I personally am not upset about a suburban style restaurant biting the dust in one of Nashville's urban neighborhoods, especially when there are many other branches of that restaurant to go to, and if it significantly strengthens the urban fabric of the neighborhood itself.

EDIT: For note, I was referring to the building the restaurant is in as suburban, and not the chain itself.

I agree. I understand why people like Fuddruckers, but we have great locally-owned burger joints like Rotier's and Bobbie's Dairy Dip.

Archived