Excellent Photo of Downtown Charlotte

cityboi

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at the image, they chose to crop it so that the westin to the left and the Odell to the right are equal distances to the edge of the image. Makes for a balanced picture. I think i may order that thing, one of the best skylines EVER of Charlotte.

A side note, wouldnt it be neat to see the triangles of the old covention center lit up one more time before its renovation/destruction? Its obviously dark in the above skyline.

Also of note, the older image (by the same person) is a prospective from the west, this is from the east

I would like to see Charlotte's skyline expand to the Arlington. Then Charlotte's skyline would be just about as large in scope and size as Atlanta's combined downtown and midtown skyline. Charlotte's skyline is bigger than a lot of major U.S. cities

Last weekend my BF and I went to the Japanese Festival DT (Bon Odori) and then walked down the new Trolley track to a place for lunch. The tracks are paralleled by a very nice landscaped sidewalk. We both noticed how "ratty" the old convention center looks these days. I will be glad when they tear it down.

So what's the latest on the old convention center anyways?

Great pic...I've been waiting for an updated version. In a couple of years it will be obsolete though, and the photographer will have to move a touch north (right) so that the arena will be visible...from this angle the Gov't Center is blocking out that plot of land.

Also, to comment on the 'size' of Charlotte, I do have to say that it is still a work in progress, and a pretty skyline is still only a skyline. Charlotte still lacks a lot of infill that other cities have, but that will come with time. At the present time, though, Charlotte does have a skyline that is on par with the skylines from cities that are up to twice as large (cleveland comes to mind). Not a whole lot of skylines in the 1.5-2 million population range are better...sacramento? san antonio? milwaukee? Indianapolis? Columbus? I wouldn't say any of these have a better skyline.

But if you think the arena is going to add to the skyline, just wait another 25-30 years. Picture a downtown where the gov't district, first ward, fourth ward, third ward, and south end have all finally jelled together. This city is going to be quite something...it is well on its way.

But if you think the arena is going to add to the skyline, just wait another 25-30 years. Picture a downtown where the gov't district, first ward, fourth ward, third ward, and south end have all finally jelled together. This city is going to be quite something...it is well on its way.

:drooling:

I simply can't wait for that day! With all of the proposals and current projects and seeing how Gateway Village and the area around CPCC, etc. are building up in density you can just imagine how great it will be years from now. I believe it will be well worth the wait!! I'm sure there are other cities planning things like these, Dallas comes to mind, but being from Charlotte I have a personally attachment to the livelihood of my own city. I just hope I can hop on LRT on Independence and go all the way to the airport one day, that would be GREAT!! I wouldn't have to pay for parking!! :lol:

man, in just 4 years, the skyline added:

Hearst Tower (670 feet),

Three Wachovia (450 feet),

and The Westin Hotel (293 feet),

not to mention other smaller projects that don't stand out as much in a skyline (the arlington, The Ratcliffe, Residence Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Gateway, county jail, etc). That is very impressive. I've only been here 2 years...I didn't realize how new some of this stuff is.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived