Light Rail in Northwest Arkansas

Mith242

I don't see why we can't just do a route between Fayetteville and Bentonville that uses the existing A/M Railroad tracks. It wouldn't cost more than $50 Million and it would be just as operational.

XNA could run shuttles from one of the stations to the airport and all of our problems will be solved.

I certainly wouldn't mind that idea. I can't say I know what the cost would be though. Aporkalypse seemed to think it would still be pretty costly doing it that way too. After some major projects were done in the area I might consider it more. I would like to have another transportation option in the area sometime in the future.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly wouldn't mind that idea. I can't say I know what the cost would be though. Aporkalypse seemed to think it would still be pretty costly doing it that way too. After some major projects were done in the area I might consider it more. I would like to have another transportation option in the area sometime in the future.

I'm with Apork. Light rail, while a trendy, eco-friendly new bandwagon most American cities seem to be jumping onto, requires a huge amount of money to start and maintain. Dallas has a relatively large light rail system constructed mainly over the past five years. There are still questions as to whether the ridership justifies expansion and it does not yet support itself through rider fares and may never.

It would be cool to see a LR stop in Fayetteville at Dickson, one at the airport and one in downtown Bentonville. There's simply not the density to support it at this time. LRT becomes necessary and usable when traffic congestion reaches a certain level in an area. While NWA has seen an increase in traffic over the past ten years, its still nowhere near the levels of most cities that are turning to LRT.

I think a better alternative for Fayetteville at this point in time would be a streetcar system similar to the one being developed in Little Rock. With the hilly terrain, I believe many would ride the trolley if available from downtown, around Dickson and up and around the UA campus. If successful and sustainable, this could to a lesser degree spur some development in and around downtown.

I know when I was a student at UA I chose where I lived at least one or two semesters based on access to a bus route because parking was such a pain on campus.

Imagine riding the trolley to campus, or downtown for a night of eating and drinking. THAT would be cool.

Fayetteville - San Francisco of the Ozarks... :P

Yeah I certainly wouldn't mind seeing trolley/street car system here. Although I still wouldn't mind having more between the cities here in the metro. But I must admit as much as I like the idea of a light rail, I am wondering more about the costs involved. I've been a bit surprised Fayetteville hasn't looked into a trolley/street car system before. Seems like it would fit very well with the city. Open up some parking further away from the Dickson St/Square area and have a trolley transport people around and help cut down some of the congestion and fight for parking spaces.

It would be neat to have a trolley system around the University, Dixon St., and the Square.

Yeah I'll vote for that. :D Get that going and then possibly work your way out to some other areas. Especially if development keep popping up around that area. I need to mention something like that on the Fayetteville 2025 website. I wonder why the city hasn't really seemed to look much into this before.

Yeah I'll vote for that. :D Get that going and then possibly work your way out to some other areas. Especially if development keep popping up around that area. I need to mention something like that on the Fayetteville 2025 website. I wonder why the city hasn't really seemed to look much into this before.

I checked out that website, there's only two or three members. I'll be sure to join though, and promote UP :D .

I just posted over there.

I'm tempted to start a thread that says: Come join Urban Planet, but that might be a bit too far. :lol:

Yeah not sure how far you can go there. They might end up being like UP and banning you or something if you really start trying to promote UP.

I wouldn't really care if they banned me over there. :lol:

I noticed they finally started posting some of my pics over there. It took almost a week before the first couple were posted. They posted the second group faster though. Maybe I need to post a few more. If I can get more people to notice that, then maybe they'll notice the forum, then maybe they'll notice our posts about Urban Planet/Arkansas forum.

NWA is far from needing LRT... what we DO need are more roads. The congestion at the Hwy. 102/I-540 intersection is mind blowing. When they finally get the $35 Million Central Ave. project completed this will alleviate most of the congestion problems in the Bentonville/Rogers Bypass area.

As for Fayetteville going with Trolleys, I doubt it'll happen since they already have the Razorback Transit System in place serving the University area on up to the Mall.

There is already a Transit Systems in place in NWA that most people may be unaware of, although the Dial-A-Ride System is a joke due to the fact that the bus may be up to 3 hours earlier than you needed and will leave without you if you're not ready.

NWA is far from needing LRT... what we DO need are more roads. The congestion at the Hwy. 102/I-540 intersection is mind blowing. When they finally get the $35 Million Central Ave. project completed this will alleviate most of the congestion problems in the Bentonville/Rogers Bypass area.

I myself am waiting for 8th Street in Bentonville to be widened to 5 lanes, and connected to I-540, for it will make it easier to get to work.

There are still some troubleshot areas in Rogers for traffic like the Scottsdale Center, New Hope Rd, and Moberly Lane in Bentonville.

As for Fayetteville going with Trolleys, I doubt it'll happen since they already have the Razorback Transit System in place serving the University area on up to the Mall.

There is already a Transit Systems in place in NWA that most people may be unaware of, although the Dial-A-Ride System is a joke due to the fact that the bus may be up to 3 hours earlier than you needed and will leave without you if you're not ready.

Trolleys are pie in the sky. I just think if we're talking alternative transportation, why not look at that one too?

Actually, I just want one so that when the U of A is advertised at halftime of sporting events on TV, there is a shot of a trolley car gliding up Dickson, past the greek theater, ringed by fall-colored leaves, full of happy to be there college students.

It could also be used for the Sam's Choice version of Rice A Roni photo op. Can't put a Razorback Transit bus on the box, now can you?

It could also be used for the Sam's Choice version of Rice A Roni photo op. Can't put a Razorback Transit bus on the box, now can you?

:lol:

Yeah it might be hard to get something like that going because of Razorback Transit. But I think that it would still be very beneficial to the city. I think a trolley system would fit right in and would probably be more popular than just a bus.

I myself am waiting for 8th Street in Bentonville to be widened to 5 lanes, and connected to I-540, for it will make it easier to get to work.

There are still some troubleshot areas in Rogers for traffic like the Scottsdale Center, New Hope Rd, and Moberly Lane in Bentonville.

Matt, I'm sure the other 25,000 Home Office associates share your anticipation. I for one cannot complain since I work 3rd shift and only see traffic going the other way on the way home from work in the morning.

If you look at maps and even using Google Earth you can see there are many trouble areas that could easily be resolved by just knocking down a few houses and connecting roads together... especially on the north side of Scottsdale Center.

:lol:

Yeah it might be hard to get something like that going because of Razorback Transit. But I think that it would still be very beneficial to the city. I think a trolley system would fit right in and would probably be more popular than just a bus.

You're right about that. In Dallas, I have taken the train several times. I have never once taken a bus.

Part of enticing people to use public transportation is the mode. Trains and trolleys are always more popular than buses. Plus, they're just way cooler. :thumbsup:

You're right about that. In Dallas, I have taken the train several times. I have never once taken a bus.

Part of enticing people to use public transportation is the mode. Trains and trolleys are always more popular than buses. Plus, they're just way cooler. :thumbsup:

Of all the LRT's I've investigated DART is by far the coolest! Northwest Arkansas has considered using the existing Arkansas & Missouri Railroad for a LRT but it wouldn't be anything like DART.

Of all the LRT's I've investigated DART is by far the coolest! Northwest Arkansas has considered using the existing Arkansas & Missouri Railroad for a LRT but it wouldn't be anything like DART.

It wouldn't be LRT then. It would be commuter rail.

The Trinity Express from Dallas to Fort Worth is like that. Commuter train on an existing heavy rail track. Many fewer stops because the tains are heavier and bigger.

Might work as some kind of a novelty. I for one would ride it to the airport just to keep from paying airport parking.

Trolleys are pie in the sky. I just think if we're talking alternative transportation, why not look at that one too?

Actually, I just want one so that when the U of A is advertised at halftime of sporting events on TV, there is a shot of a trolley car gliding up Dickson, past the greek theater, ringed by fall-colored leaves, full of happy to be there college students.

Morgantown, WV uses a trolley system to get around the hilly University of West Virginia campus. I think it would work well in Fayetteville as a means for students to get from class to the parking lots, dorms, or houses and vice versa and it could be extended to Dickson and the Square with reasonable expense. I've always liked this idea and I think it would be used enough to merit its existance.

I don't think NWA has the population to support light or heavy rail and I think that tax burden would be overwhelming.

I agree with mason's dad that roads have to be a priority, THE priority.

mcheiss, my family lived out on New Hope Road when it was two lanes and you would rarely see cars pass. They lived miles from other houses and now are in the middle of town. Rogers sure has changed.

mcheiss, my family lived out on New Hope Road when it was two lanes and you would rarely see cars pass. They lived miles from other houses and now are in the middle of town. Rogers sure has changed.

Yes, the recently widend a portion of New Hope Road to 5 lanes, and it's looking like the whole street will be 5 lanes by the end of the year. I drive on New Hope quite a bit, and I got to say, I wouldn't want to be living on that street. It's almost impossible to make a left turn on there not at the light, I can't imagine what it's goign to be like when it's 5 lanes.

Has anyone thought about turning a trolley for Fayetteville into a Green issue? Trolleys do not produce the fumes that buses do. Ride clean, ride a trolley. Remember the health of the children.

True, I'll have to mention that as well. I'd really like to get some interest in a trolley system here in Fayetteville.

True, I'll have to mention that as well. I'd really like to get some interest in a trolley system here in Fayetteville.

It sounds promising especially since Bentonville is planning a trolley system in the downtown area. But you also have to consider Razorback Transit, and the effects that a Trolley system would have on ridership numbers.

Archived