Light Rail in Northwest Arkansas

Mith242

It sounds promising especially since Bentonville is planning a trolley system in the downtown area. But you also have to consider Razorback Transit, and the effects that a Trolley system would have on ridership numbers.

True, but I think Razorback Transit still has some pretty good numbers. Although I'm sure they don't want anymore competition since they lost some of their funding to Ozark Regional Transit. But I still really like the idea of a trolley here in Fayetteville. It would fit in very nicely.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, but I think Razorback Transit still has some pretty good numbers. Although I'm sure they don't want anymore competition since they lost some of their funding to Ozark Regional Transit. But I still really like the idea of a trolley here in Fayetteville. It would fit in very nicely.

Yes, I like how it could run one route from the Square through Dixon Street and than to the University.

A group of light-rail supporters hope to organize their action committee this week. The group will hold an organizational meeting Wednesday in Springdale. The group and supporters have not met since a light rail forum was held on Nov. 16, also in Springdale. At that forum 30 speakers discussed the benefits and drawbacks of a light rail system. They talked about federal regulations, funding, ridership, locations and future economic development around transit stops. They agreed a successful bus route is important in order to support a light rail system in the future. At the end of the forum, many participants agreed to form an action committee to look deeper into the light rail option.

A group of light-rail supporters hope to organize their action committee this week. The group will hold an organizational meeting Wednesday in Springdale. The group and supporters have not met since a light rail forum was held on Nov. 16, also in Springdale. At that forum 30 speakers discussed the benefits and drawbacks of a light rail system. They talked about federal regulations, funding, ridership, locations and future economic development around transit stops. They agreed a successful bus route is important in order to support a light rail system in the future. At the end of the forum, many participants agreed to form an action committee to look deeper into the light rail option.

That's nice to hear. I admit I'm not as gung ho about the project as I was for a while. But I'd still really like to hear more about it. If it just wasn't quite so expensive and we didn't have so many other transpotation needs in the area.

That's nice to hear. I admit I'm not as gung ho about the project as I was for a while. But I'd still really like to hear more about it. If it just wasn't quite so expensive and we didn't have so many other transpotation needs in the area.

I'd like to see the route run through parts of Benton County where people are actually going to use it.

I'd like to see the route run through parts of Benton County where people are actually going to use it.

There was an interesting editorial in the northwest edition of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette today. It mentioned a bit about light rail and the bus system here. I've seen some rather negative views on the light rail in the editorial article. But this one wasn't so negative. It basically mentioned that the way this area keeps growing something is going to give. And even if it doesn't seem very plausible now that a light rail might be needed in the future. But it did mention one aspect that needs to be addressed, the bus system. From what I was reading it sounds like that after a metro reaches a certain point federal money for bus systems are cut back. I guess their assuming the metros are big enough to support themselves. But it looks like there's a chance NWA will reach that point as soon as 2010. So here's some money that will soon be needed just to keep what we have as a bus service. Not to mention that it really could use some work and expansion of routes. I also wonder how this will effect Razorback and ORT working together more or perhaps even drive them even more apart. I imagine one big problem will be getting all the different cities and counties to work together on this.

I could see the two transit companies merging together if funding is cut. I was suprised when they didn't before, and I really didn't understand why they wouldn't merge in the first place.

Perhaps people worrying of a lopsided Fayetteville heavy transit system? Or maybe people in Fayetteville worried that their city would have it services cut back to fund the rest of the metro? The only things I can really think of.

Found a related Times article regarding funding for Ozark Regional Transit.

The realities facing Ozark Regional Transit

I personally see the attempt to create an effective public transportation system in NWA sputtering to a halt before it really gets going. People love their cars and will not give up their second careers as road warriors especially if they have to pay an extra tax just to lose the "privilege" of driving their cars. I only hope time proves me wrong.

Found a related Times article regarding funding for Ozark Regional Transit.

The realities facing Ozark Regional Transit

I personally see the attempt to create an effective public transportation system in NWA sputtering to a halt before it really gets going. People love their cars and will not give up their second careers as road warriors especially if they have to pay an extra tax just to lose the "privilege" of driving their cars. I only hope time proves me wrong.

Yeah I think we are far enough west and have been small enough that most people just don't have incentives to get out of their vehicles. I think it's going to take some major time delays traveling by road to get people here to better appreciate public transport. More than what exists today.

Yeah I think we are far enough west and have been small enough that most people just don't have incentives to get out of their vehicles. I think it's going to take some major time delays traveling by road to get people here to better appreciate public transport. More than what exists today.

So the real competition against light rail is putting tons of money into widening I-540 and expanding arterial roads.

NWA is receiving $133 Million for roads this year. I'm not sure how they came up with that amount since the entire state is receiving $350 Million for roads. I guess the state senate was impressed with things in NWA. KNWA has an article and a video clip of state senators touring NWA.

So the real competition against light rail is putting tons of money into widening I-540 and expanding arterial roads.

NWA is receiving $133 Million for roads this year. I'm not sure how they came up with that amount since the entire state is receiving $350 Million for roads. I guess the state senate was impressed with things in NWA. KNWA has an article and a video clip of state senators touring NWA.

I was wondering when KNWA added video clips. That's the KHOG station, but thanks for posting it anyway. :D

Next time you fill er up think about where 3 cents a gallon goes. The federal tax includes that amount as a mass transit set aside. Where is NWA share going?

Good point Skirby. We want our share back! There was a group organized that wants to look more into a light rail. I believe they plan on making a trip to DC sometime to check into what kind of federal funds they can get.

• 2 weeks later...

In todays Arkansas Democrat Gazette there is a picture of a postcard of NWA interurban mass transit from the past. It ran on the Frisco tracks between Bentonville and Rogers for two years.

Ugh, I missed it. I didn't bring my paper home with me either, or that section of it that is. What time period are we talking about? Thanks for mentioning this Skirby, just wished I had payed more attention to the paper now.

Ugh, I missed it. I didn't bring my paper home with me either, or that section of it that is. What time period are we talking about? Thanks for mentioning this Skirby, just wished I had payed more attention to the paper now.

1916. They were only about 90 years to early.

Wow, I didn't know we had an old mass transit system in the early part of the last century.

I was just in Fort Smith today, and I saw their Trolley System working pretty efficently. I was suprised that it was being used as much as it was.

Oh, did you get to see much of the city, or was you mainly just there for business?

Did anyone read this article in the Benton County Daily Record about light rail:

http://www.nwanews.com/bcdr/News/30720/

It's about the trip NWA delegates made to DC last week. I'm a little surprised there wasn't more news coverage about that. However, it's my clear understanding that the group got quite the slap of reality from the trip (not really reflected in this article). Since I'm somewhat involved in this, I have an opinion about it. My concern since last spring/summer (when the public was made aware of this) is that people were getting ahead of themselves and getting all excited about this 'sexy' idea. What wasn't discussed, however, but which is somewhat pointed out in this article is that to qualify for federal money you first must undertake a major investment study (or alternatives analysis) and define the *problem* first, then study the possible *solutions* next. The solution doesn't come first.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely in favor for alternative transportation improvements (like light rail). But in reality, NWA is going to be toward the end of a very long line of metro areas trying hard to get FTA funds. It's good to discuss and look at planning for things like light rail, HOT or HOV, BRT, etc., but in reality, unless money falls from the sky I just don't see it happening in the foreseable future. In the long-term, possibly-- but by then who knows we may all be driving ethonol cars or riding in fuel cell buses. I don't mean to be a party crasher.

Did anyone read this article in the Benton County Daily Record about light rail:

http://www.nwanews.com/bcdr/News/30720/

It's about the trip NWA delegates made to DC last week. I'm a little surprised there wasn't more news coverage about that. However, it's my clear understanding that the group got quite the slap of reality from the trip (not really reflected in this article). Since I'm somewhat involved in this, I have an opinion about it. My concern since last spring/summer (when the public was made aware of this) is that people were getting ahead of themselves and getting all excited about this 'sexy' idea. What wasn't discussed, however, but which is somewhat pointed out in this article is that to qualify for federal money you first must undertake a major investment study (or alternatives analysis) and define the *problem* first, then study the possible *solutions* next. The solution doesn't come first.

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely in favor for alternative transportation improvements (like light rail). But in reality, NWA is going to be toward the end of a very long line of metro areas trying hard to get FTA funds. It's good to discuss and look at planning for things like light rail, HOT or HOV, BRT, etc., but in reality, unless money falls from the sky I just don't see it happening in the foreseable future. In the long-term, possibly-- but by then who knows we may all be driving ethonol cars or riding in fuel cell buses. I don't mean to be a party crasher.

Thanks for the update itk. I don't tend to see that paper down here in Washington County. I admit I was really excited about the idea. But after I kept hearing about how much money we were talking about it began to really set in what's involved here. Even if this somehow became a possibility in the future I haven't even seen NWA putting enough emphasis on improving the bus system in the area. I just get the impression NWA has a long way to go before this can even become a serious option. I do like the fact that people are talking about it. I also consider it a positive that as many people seemed to support it as they did. I wasn't even sure that so many people would seem rather interested in it. I really do hope that somehow things might work out in the future and this becomes a more serious possibility but there's a lot of issues to address. Maybe we'll get a better idea with how the metro deals with some of these issues in the near future.

Archived