big new mexican restaurant in cranston

megad

Well, you better walk far back in time, it's gone.

link link

here's a cool pic of it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup. The New York Times had a fantastic retrospective article on that branch when it closed in Times Sq a couple of years ago. If you're interested Liam, check out the NYT archive and buy the article. They're fairly cheap (a few bucks...).

- Garris

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup.  The New York Times had a fantastic retrospective article on that branch when it closed in Times Sq a couple of years ago.  If you're interested Liam, check out the NYT archive and buy the article.  They're fairly cheap (a few bucks...).

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From those links it looks like it just closed last week. So sad! I loved that place. When I was a kid in woonsocket we would always goto the HoJo's in Park Square, which later become "Pub Dennis" and was then torn down to make room for a McDonalds. In highschool we would hang out latenights at the HoJos in Warwick on Jefferson Blvd, which is now a Bickfords. I find it strange that the HoJos brand was allowed to just fade away like that.

Liam

Ground Round used to have character: black and white comedy projected on the wall (3 stooges, Charlie Chaplin...), endless popcorn, sundaes that came in little baseball hard hats, fun house mirrors.... A few years ago I visited the one in Pawtucket and it sucked. It was a just a weak TGI, if that's possible.

HoJos in Middlestown was a great place to sober up after a hard night at 3's.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Cactus Grille in Providence on Friday and had a decent meal. The service was VERY friendly and the food was ok. For an appertizer I had a wild mushroom, onion and cheese something or other which was excellent. The main course was Mexican Shrimp Scampi which was very spicey! YIKES!!!!!!! The chadonney (Estrella) was excellent. Fast friendly service. Good parking!

• 10 months later...

The service was VERY friendly and the food was ok.

Yeah, Cactus Grille is alright and I will agree that the service is great.

El Pez Dorado (Dominican, not Mexican - but still very good) on Broad St. is great - it's down by the post office, south of Thurbers.

Also, if you're slightly adventurous, any of the "mobile restaurants" on Broad St Thurs-Sat nights are good for greasy, quick takeout that's got some character (so was El Fogon before it burned - anyone know if they plan on reopening?)

There's a few other places in Elmwood that are always packed, but I've never been to - notably Ana's Catering at Prairie and Broad - I make no promises, but the neighbors are always there, so that means something.

No no no

It;s where the restaurant "Sleeping With the Fishes" used to be

yea it is orange, i think its called el tapatio, or something like that. I went there once and it was pretty gross, so I wouldn't recomend it for anyone.

ya, el tapatio... ive been there a few times. it sucks

thats the thing, sometimes you don't look at the outside and say, well this building is gross and orange the food must suck, but it does. :D I feel that everything that goes in that location is never stays.

thats the thing, sometimes you don't look at the outside and say, well this building is gross and orange the food must suck, but it does. :D I feel that everything that goes in that location is never stays.

Challengers, Zip Code, etc. have all been there. It is a good corner though. Harriets across the street has a great beakfast. And the Ameican Legion Post on the other corner has a great Italian Restaurant in it. You almost need to know someone to get in.

Mark

Archived