Are Charlotte hospitals bad?

Larryfla

In the U.S. News and World Report, Charlotte did not rate in the top 50 hospitals nationally in any of the listed medical categories. The criteria can be found in the magazine. Examples of criteria were innovations in modern medical technology and miraculous results per number of cases. Unfortunately, much smaller places kicked our asses. If you get sick, you better get the hell out of town and maybe go to the Duke Medical Center.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because it's isn't in the top 50 doesn't mean our hospital are bad. If you look at the listing, the majority of those hospital affiliated with a medical univerisity. Charlotte doesn't have a medical school, no there's no affiliation. That means our hospitals don't have any speciality or research capabilities.

Heh, Duke was just in the news for washing surgury tools in elevator hydrolic fluid for several months. No telling what effect that will have on the poor people that were exposed to these chemicals.

Just because a hospital is famous, there is no guarantee that you will get good care.

I've wondered about this too. Whenever people are thinking about moving to NC and they're deciding what city, they seem to always mention the lack of good hospitals in Charlotte. It seems to me that we have a lot of hospitals in the area and I don't recall hearing anything negative about them. Is it just the perception, because we don't have a university with a medical school and hospital?

I did find this--On the Men's Fitness fattest and fittest cities, it gave Charlotte a D+ for health care.

http://www.mensfitness.com/rankings/260

It says the number of physicians per capita is among the lowest of the cities they ranked.

Their rankings bounce around quite a bit, Charlotte is now the 22nd fittest city in the US. Looks like tabloid mischef to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

22nd fittest was the 2004 rating. 2003 we were ranked as 10th fattest, which is frightening. Anyway, I'm sure it's not the most reliable source, but they claim they ranked the healthcare portion from the Places Rated Almanac.

Archived