And the Detroit Bashing gets worse

wolverine

If you ever watched Fox News before, you'd know how boring it can get with those repetitive stories going over and over. Really, hardly any other news is covered except big stories. So I'm flipping through channels and catch the end of the announcement for an upcoming segment on the All Star Game in Detroit. Here were some of things covered in the story:

Hardly any of the segment was ctually about baseball, all except for the backdrop of Comerica Park behind the reporter.

They then began showing pictures of the city, the only standalone building they showed was the Ren Cen, the building everyone already knows about.

Meanwhile, they mention how the city has lost 100,000 people in the past something years. (was this about the All Star game again?)

They then show some unflattering city shots, not necessarily abandonedment. (so I thought)

Then, finally, their closing shots are of blight and ruin. Yeah, thanks!

They then talked about Comerica Park, and mentioned it was new, and that was the reason why the All Star game came to Detroit

The last bit of discussion I heard of the segment was how the reporter and the news anchor somehwat recalling that the city was set on fire after the Tigers won the World Series back in the 80's Actually, a cop car was set on fire. That's nothing compared to what I saw after I went to see a Yankees game when I spent my summer in New York.

So basically, NOTHING positive was said about Detroit. It was awful. The report on the All Star Game had nothing to do with baseball, or anything great about Detroit. This could have been the opportunity for our beautiful new parks, streetscapes, and renovated buildings to be showcased, but nope. They had to show us a sign that said "sports won't help Detroit"

Fox News, shame on you.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wolverine:

I feel your pain (though not as much). When DaVinci's horse was made in duplicate, one going to Italy, and the other to Grand Rapids, all we heard here from the national media was "why oh why would such a work be put in Grand Rapids". Uhhhhh, how about because without the funding from Fred Meijer, the two sculptures probably would never have been sculpted :P Ignore them.

GRDad

I expect that from the media. Ive been suprised though by what some writers have said about the city. Its been positive. Jason Whitlock wrote a great article for Page 2 of Espn.com that I would suggest reading. And all ive heard so far from out of towners is that they have been having a great time in the city. Theres been negative remarks but there has also been a ton of positive things said about the city.

This is not really all that surprising to me, coming from the most unbalanced of all major news networks. Only focus on the bad things...that will help get people really pumped up about being in the D for the big game. :rolleyes:

I do expect a certain degree of Detroit bashing to come from any news outlet though. It has not been nearly as bad as I'd expected it to be.

I also was flipping through and saw that lousy mess. It amazes me how we Americans can utterly rip one another apart. We make fun of any and everyone that doesn't fall into the East-West coast "hierarchy." If it's poor or downtrodden we'll have a go at it. The appalachians? Hillbilly white trash. The deep south? Backwards and illiterate. I'm sorry for rambling but this has really been getting me down lately. Instead of considering a way to bring everyone to the same level we just plain trash it.

See that guy in my avatar? That's my hero Robert F. Kennedy. He was killed in June of 1968 trying to erase the very crap I just finished going on about. Our nation's people have become like the rich kids who make fun of the poor kids at school, with those kids making fun of the even poorer kids just to buck themselves up. No wonder we're on such a downward slide...

WS

This is not really all that surprising to me, coming from the most unbalanced of all major news networks.  Only focus on the bad things...that will help get people really pumped up about being in the D for the big game.  :rolleyes:

I do expect a certain degree of Detroit bashing to come from any news outlet though.  It has not been nearly as bad as I'd expected it to be.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Years ago I remember a strike at a Detroit newspaper which seemed to last forever. Which newspaper was it, is the strike over and what where the workers striking for?

Years ago I remember a strike at a Detroit newspaper which seemed to last forever. Which newspaper was it, is the strike over and what where the workers striking for?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holy time warp! Wasn't that back in 1995 or something :P

I had the opportunity two weeks ago to spend the night downtown Detroit, with my dad. We had tickets to the games Tigers vs. White Sox, and the night we spent there also happened to coincide with the Freedomfest. It was a bittersweet thing for me that the Tigers actually battled it out for 13 innings because I could only watch the fireworks from the park. Anyway since I am a Detroit junkie, it was so awsome to see the transformation of downtown taking place first hand. We stayed at the Athenium, and in the morning walked all over downtown. It was great to see everything coming along so nicely. I will definately be spending my money downtown Detroit, soon and often.

It would be nice however to see a news venue, show the progress the city has made, show "this is where they were", and, " this is how far they have come". However I'm pretty sure no matter how nice Detroit could be, it's really just way to liberal for Fox News to say anything nice about it!

IMO Detroit has some great potential to recover its once great city status, the framework is present but certain tough changes will have to happen. I don't know too much about Deroit, only what I hear about family and on this forum. What I hear on this forum is much more positive then what I hear from family.

The problem with the national media is that Deroit makes an easy target for the lazy journalists and cable networks, you have the corrupt mayor, the crime rates, the burned out city, and more. The national news media does not care about the progress thats being made.

I think in a few years Detroit will get to a level of becoming a good city again on par with other cities in its population leaguge and the population loss rate may slow down, but like I said I don't know too much about it.

Archived