Richmond Sports

eandslee

Richmond keeps CAA tourny until 2012!

I'm pretty sure I'll be going to at least a couple games this year...

Note that Jack Berry says that sales for this year's event are far ahead of last year's.

The opening of The National Theatre and Toads Place will add entertainment opportunities for visitors attending the tournaments, and Millan Rhoads Hilton will provide more accommodations. Jet Blue and AirTran will make it easier and cheaper for guests to fly in for the games.

Richmond and Norfolk were the only serious contenders for the tournament. Richmond won out because of its central location and because it has been here for 16 years. It was also mentioned that Scope in Norfolk would require considerable upgrading to host the event.

Maybe this announcement should be in Tommy's Events thread, or maybe Events and this thread should be consolidated. What do you guys think?

Anyway, it's good news for Richmond. :yahoo:

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

"Richmond Rules!"

A headline in Sunday's Sports section captured the scene: "Richmond Rules!"

The region's high-school athletes claimed five state championships:

* Thomas Dale won the Group AAA boys soccer title.

* Monacan won the Group AAA baseball crown.

* Goochland won baseball honors for Group A.

* Hanover won the blue ribbon in Group AAA softball.

* Deep Run's Kristin Nimitz won a thrilling match in the finals of the Group AAA girls singles tennis tournament.....

The winning streak extended into Sunday, as Chesterfield's Denny Hamlin won the Nextel Cup race at Pocono. The win was the rookie's first on the circuit and had the broadcasters gasping for superlatives.....

Good job... and especially to those Monacan Chiefs! :yahoo: You've made this alumnus proud!

Hahaha. You may be happy for your alma mater, Monacan, but I'll bet Joey (Downtowner) and his Freeman buddies are not rejoicing.

By the way, did everybody see Joey's picture being carried around on the shoulders of his team mates?

If you missed it, go to Downtowner's post on June 7th at 1:45PM at Richmond-Off Topic. It's a great picture of our fellow forumer.

Edited by burt

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to add to this thread that Richmond has the Richmond Renegades (semi pro hocky) back and I think this time it will be much more successful. I'm not a huge hocky fan, but I always loved going to the old Richmond Renegades games and cheering for my hometown team. I've taken a look at the new Renegade's web site and I'm very impressed. Hopefully, they will be able to advertise well and build up community support as well as be heavily involved in the community. Here's their web site. Enjoy!

Richmond Renegades

I wish them the best of luck and lots of success! Go RRRRRRenegades!

In other sports news:

According to NBC 12,

The American Basketball Association is coming back to Richmond.

NBA star Allen Iverson's mother, Ann Iverson of Hampton, is the majority owner and chair of the Richmond Warriors.

Michael Davis will be the head coach. He currently is director of basketball and strength coach at the U-Turn Sports Performance Academy. Davis is a former Virginia Tech Hokie. ABA CEO Joe Newman says Richmond is a great basketball city and will be a great city for the American Basketball Association.

Here's futher news on the story:

ABA Basketball back in Richmond this year!

I think this is very good for Richmond. I think that if we can generously support a team like this one, an NBA team could be in our future. Let's hope it work well this time. I think they will likely be playing at the VCU Seigel Center.

If we can actually market this team, they should be relatively successful.

True. I think marketing the team is everything. I think Richmond can support a team like this very well if they just get the word out; something previous teams have not done very well. Like you said Coupe, marketing for this team will make or break the success of this team.

If this team is going to be a success they need to advertise and do promotions in order to do well. But I am very thrilled to see this again. Lets hope its a success this time. But its funny to see Allen Iverson's mother own the team talk about a loud mouth beleive me she has a big mouth.

If this team is going to be a success they need to advertise and do promotions in order to do well. But I am very thrilled to see this again. Lets hope its a success this time. But its funny to see Allen Iverson's mother own the team talk about a loud mouth beleive me she has a big mouth.

It's not a major league team like the old ABA used to be back in the 1970s.

Any league with 57 teams can't be major! :lol:

• 1 month later...

Projected costs for a new football stadium on the University of Richmond campus are soaring. It is estimated the price tag will rise to $20 million, $9 million more than expected.

The 9000 seat facility was recently endowed with an anonymous $5 million gift. ANONYMOUS? Wow! If I gave that much to anything, I'd claim naming rights. :lol:

An 18-month construction period is anticipated with opening, maybe, by 2009.

UR has been playing football at old City Stadium, capacity 21,319, near the junction of the Powhite and Downtown Expressways.

This is just a personal observation: The UR campus already has the 9000-seat Robins Center and a 4000-seat track/field/practice stadium. The beautiful campus is in one of the area's richest zip codes with very limited road access. How is the new facility going to affect traffic flow in the neighborhood? I'm just surprised there hasn't been more hullabaloo from nearby residents.

I wonder if they ever considered spending the $20 million on up-grading the far more accessible City Stadium which, incidentally, enjoys UR naming rights.

Edited by burt

That area is congested enough... ever been in rush hour traffic on River Rd, Cary Street Rd, or Three Chopt? The roads are already narrow too. You know, I never hear too many NIMBYs coming from this part of town. I do know they fussed over a park on Three Chopt a decade ago. I like the current UR stadium location, it just needs a sprucing.

Oh by the way, U of R has its own zip code, but along Cary Street rd is all the millionaires (and the census says it is one of if not the only tracts in Richmond that is 100% white).

Coupe these look nice.

Right now the addition looks like it sticks out like a sore thumb, but don't the long term plans call for building a second level all the way around the track...or at least part way around the track? Also, this addition doesn't look like it adds too many seats. I do like the fact that they are now building up - it really is beginning to look like a major league venue!

• 3 weeks later...

Nationally Televised Cycling Event coming to Richmond in 2007

This is a great chance for big time positive exposure!

Red Five Sports Group will produce and promote the U.S. Open Cycling Championship on April 7, 2007. The event will begin in Williamsburg at 11 a.m. and end at a yet-to-be-determined location in Richmond at about 4:30 p.m.

Tim Miller, a principal in Red Five and the event director, said NBC will do a national telecast of the race from 2-4:30 p.m.

The race will feature approximately 200 cyclists, Miller said, many of whom will likely go on to compete in the Tour de France three months later.

Total prize money will be at least $125,000.

"The meat of the race, the important parts of the race, are going to take place" in Richmond, Miller said. "The race is really going to be won on the streets of Richmond. We plan to take advantage of the typography, the hills of downtown Richmond. About 50 miles of the race will be here."