Richmond Sports

eandslee

Your opinion is always welcome Eric and there is nothing wrong with a healthy, robust discussion... but it just seems like complacency and inaction don't really pair up with the fact that the city has been moving forward on the boulevard plans for months with Staubach. The Braves choose to leave AFTER the RFQ for developers was released... part of a process which is on schedule and was announced months ago.... From an October 07 press release by the city:

Mayor L. Douglas Wilder today announced that The Staubach Company has been selected as the real estate consulting firm to recommend future development options for the Boulevard corridor land parcel and the 6th Street Marketplace in Downtown.

“We are now at the point of having the consulting firm ascertain the best potential uses for these properties,” said the Mayor. “We anticipate a very extensive process for this endeavor, with much collaboration in store from the Commonwealth of Virginia and many interested stakeholders.”

Staubach’s assignment will consist of two phases. In the first phase, expected to be complete within 90 days, Staubach will provide the City with a detailed analysis of the development alternatives for the two properties, with corresponding financial analyses, that can guide the City in selecting options for the future of the properties. For the second phase, expected to take another 90 days, Staubach will solicit proposals for the actual development of those properties.

“Staubach had the necessary experience and qualifications, along with a very focused approach to the engagement, that particularly appealed to the City’s selection team,” said the Mayor. “We are confident that Staubach can identify the most beneficial development options possible for our consideration, in order to get the best long-term results for the City.”

The Braves are aware of the process in motion and the process is designed to produce a new baseball stadium for the Braves by the time their lease extensions run out at the Diamond (a new stadium is part of Phase I of the Boulevard project), yet they leave anyways?

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Your opinion is always welcome Eric and there is nothing wrong with a healthy, robust discussion... but it just seems like complacency and inaction don't really pair up with the fact that the city has been moving forward on the boulevard plans for months with Staubach. The Braves choose to leave AFTER the RFQ for developers was released... part of a process which is on schedule and was announced months ago.... From an October 07 press release by the city:

The Braves are aware of the process in motion and the process is designed to produce a new baseball stadium for the Braves by the time their lease extensions run out at the Diamond (a new stadium is part of Phase I of the Boulevard project), yet they leave anyways?

Perhaps this is too little too late. It took too long to get this going...I think this possibly played into the Braves' decision to leave. In leadership, you have to either act or decide (and make known) that you are not going to act. Simply not acting when you say you are just won't cut it...and certainly dragging out this process over the past 4-5 years is just crazy. I just think that Richmond was not committed to the Braves from the beginning and that's OK as long as they would have told them that from the start. Instead, Richmond appeared to be committed, dragged its feet and took so long to get anything done that Richmond, through its slow action, indirectly told the Braves that it wasn't as committed as it perhaps thought it was. Looking at this through the eyes of the Braves, I can totally see how they would want to leave. I mean, after all, who wants to work with a city that is not capable of committing to your team enough to not only recognize deficiencies in its stadium (also, largely ignored for years), but to not be anxious enough to improve the situation in a timely manner after deficiencies were discovered? Why not just move to a place where it is more business friendly to the team and it's needs. Hence, the Braves

So, when the Shockoe deal that they chased fell through, don't you think the process had to start over again? Wilder's only been in office since 2005. He had to clean house first, then how easy is it to get someone to come up with a plan for the city?

So, when the Shockoe deal that they chased fell through, don't you think the process had to start over again? Wilder's only been in office since 2005. He had to clean house first, then how easy is it to get someone to come up with a plan for the city?

Whoever is the figurehead at the top, in the public's eye, will always be the one at fault. Just look at the view towards W. Bush (I am far from a supporter), even though our government is a system of checks and balances, he will take the flak for whatever occurs just for being in the spotlight of the public. No one ever remembers the good things, but always jumps on the bad.

Edited by Icetera

I had to post the previous message before I was finished. I do agree there's more to it on all sides than we're going to know. I just don't think the process would have been any faster in Richmond had the Gwinnett council been here instead.

It's not our leaders, but our system.

I had to post the previous message before I was finished. I do agree there's more to it on all sides than we're going to know. I just don't think the process would have been any faster in Richmond had the Gwinnett council been here instead.

It's not our leaders, but our system.

I was merely adding to your train of thought.

Rams defeat Hofstra in N.Y.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/more....01-24-0213.html

Oh, and for you Techies....

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/more....01-24-0123.html

VT lines up against Duke tonight.

I would really like to see an area tounament with UVA, Tech, VCU and U of R, maybe somewhere around Thanksgiving. A Commonwealth Championship. These teams need to play one another more often.

Rams defeat Hofstra in N.Y.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/more....01-24-0213.html

Oh, and for you Techies....

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/more....01-24-0123.html

VT lines up against Duke tonight.

I would really like to see an area tounament with UVA, Tech, VCU and U of R, maybe somewhere around Thanksgiving. A Commonwealth Championship. These teams need to play one another more often.

Let's bring back the old T-D tournament.

Admitedly, VT and UVA would not agree to a true tournament format. They already play 2 or 3 times per season. You could have a 2-day affair where VT plays VCU and UVA plays UR. Then the next day VT-UR and UVA-VCU

Yep like I said before just about every city owns their team and is not owned by the team itself. They said the same thing I have thought about bringing the the Nationals AAA team here. You cant have the second without the first. Right now Richmond will probably have to settle for AA right now. We will either have the Detroit Tigers AA team which is the Erie Seawolves or the Connecticuit Defenders which is the San Francisco Giants AA team. I would much rather have the Giants AA team then the tigers because the Giants drafted a ton of people on the first round last year and are all on the top 10 prospect list With Tim Alderson and Madison Bumgarner being the highest ranked of the giants from the 2007 draft. The Tigers have gotten rid of all there good prospects except for there draft pick from 2007. The Tigers got rid of their biggest prospects in the Miguel Cabrera, Dontrelle Willis deal where they sent Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller there. The only big prospect they have left is Rick Porcello out of Seton Hall Prep. I'd much rather have the Giants AA team than the Tigers. But there is a possibility that the Nationals could have their AA team out of Harrisburg by 2010 I think it is and move to Richmond if the current AA team at that time moves out.

Hey, Majors. How do you like this? VCU runs over Drexel.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...01-27-0161.html

Excellent game last night! Packed house! Sorry to the folks in front of me that were victims of my exceptionally loud yelling and the courtesy megaphone that they gave me on the way in. :whistling:

Yeah, VCU looks damn good!! Tuesday night will be the test when they travel up to George Mason.

IMO, Coach Grant should be the million dollar man. He has definately got a tough crew and he and his staff appear to be a tough crew themselves. I really like the way he stalks the court, inches from the line, chest poked-out and steadfast. The new "Stonewall". VCU players will draw defenders towards him and it is almost like he is setting a pick, narrowing the passage way for the defenders. The sixth man. He's as cool as Coach Knight (Bobby).

I love it we are in first place by 2 games now. Hope you made the game last week in New York Burt.

I am very sorry to say I wasn't there, majors. But if any of you will keep me advised of future play in New York City, I'll make an 80-year-old effort to attend -- even if the game is way out on Long Island (I think that's where Hofstra is located.)