Richmond Sports

eandslee

I sure the hell am no basketball expert, but even to these old uninformed eyes it was pretty clear VCU was out-smarted and out-played. Was it just an "off" night? Or is GMU, with the remarkable Cambell, the team to win it all?

Just seemed like the shots weren't falling for VCU even when they were right under the basket. They did pretty well from 3-point range but they also missed a ton of free-throws which was completely their fault. GMU was sinking everything. Was that the second matchup of the season? I think VCU still has a slight edge in the conference.

Just seemed like the shots weren't falling for VCU even when they were right under the basket. They did pretty well from 3-point range but they also missed a ton of free-throws which was completely their fault. GMU was sinking everything. Was that the second matchup of the season? I think VCU still has a slight edge in the conference.

I recall hearing last night that the two will not meet again this season unless it is in a tournament.

I sure the hell am no basketball expert, but even to these old uninformed eyes it was pretty clear VCU was out-smarted and out-played. Was it just an "off" night? Or is GMU, with the remarkable Cambell, the team to win it all?

GMU and VCU are clearly the top teams in the CAA. GMU was favored to finish first in the CAA this season with VCU finishing second. Good defense helped keep those VCU shots out of the basket.

Luckily, GMU only plays VCU once this season, and it was at the Patriot Center. That could prove to be pretty important come CAA tourny/March Madness time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week, bids were due from developers for the redevelopment of the Diamond and the surrounding area. As a follow up to my previous post, please see NBC12 article link below:

http://www.nbc12.com/news/state/16074812.html

I have found out through sources that one of the developers is Douglas Development.

Well the CAA Tournament begins tonight and I am going to the tournament tonight to see JMU and Northeastern and Drexel play Delaware. My friends dad got us tickets. Couldnt get VCU or any other Virgnia game because tickets were all sold out except for JMU.

Edited by Downtowner

Was a great game last night, even though the Tribe lost. Appeared to be a ton of people walking from downtown up to the Coliseum for the game (and back downtown afterwards) since the weather was so nice.

Makes me thing how great it would be if there was something else to walk to from downtown other than restaurants. Maybe when we get Centennial and Bowtie built, I can at least walk to see a movie after work.

ughh the CAA was awful this year, or at least the outcome was awful for me. I wanted VCU to win it but William and Mary really got on my nerves. Plus I hated the CAA Championship more than anything. Well its Baseball time now so its time to let the boys of summer get dirty.

Yeah Sunday wasn't a happy day for me basketball-wise. VCU lost in the final seconds, VT lost in the final seconds, and the hoo's managed to win one. I swore off the NCAA's that day but maybe I'll have a change of heart by the time they come around ;)

Tickets are going fast!! Wednesday at VCU, the Rams take on UAB in the first round of the NIT. Tickets are $15.

IF VCU gets by UAB, they will take on the winner of the VaTech - Morgan State game. If, for some strange reason, Tech loses to Morgan State, and VCU beats UAB, then VCU will play at home. If Tech beats Morgan State, VCU would have to travel to Blacksburg.

I wonder if my yellow hoodie and black afro wig will clash in Castle Coliseum.

Cassell Coliseum

I stand corrected. Good luck to the Hokies. Watch out for #1 on UAB. That guy is very fast and was burning Maynor all night long.

I have never seen such flat-playing in my life! VCU really stunk up the place. Maynor's airballs and Rodriquez's missed 3-point attempts were enough to send half of the place home before the first half ended. Passes to the invisible man went out of bounds and created turnover after turnover. Piss-poor officiating was the icing on the cake. Even Schuler couldn't buy a bucket. He had a few nice 3-pointers but he seemed to not be able to get a good set before shooting. Neither team could make it into the paint.

This had to be the worst I have ever seen them play. Truly a BIG disappointment.

I stand corrected. Good luck to the Hokies. Watch out for #1 on UAB. That guy is very fast and was burning Maynor all night long.

I have never seen such flat-playing in my life! VCU really stunk up the place. Maynor's airballs and Rodriquez's missed 3-point attempts were enough to send half of the place home before the first half ended. Passes to the invisible man went out of bounds and created turnover after turnover. Piss-poor officiating was the icing on the cake. Even Schuler couldn't buy a bucket. He had a few nice 3-pointers but he seemed to not be able to get a good set before shooting. Neither team could make it into the paint.

This had to be the worst I have ever seen them play. Truly a BIG disappointment.

As a grad of both Va Tech and VCU, I was pulling for VCU as well. I would have been rooting for Tech if they had played however. Tech was the opposite of VCU in their opening game. Absolutely on fire. Made all 15 of their shots in the opening 15 minutes of the second half. If they can keep that intensity up UAB is in trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Washington Nationals. great article about their new stadium, $611 million! It has everything, but "There is one drawback. Parking around the stadium is almost non-existent". How can they make that work, yet every option for a new Stadium here has been shot down do to the same reason? Many cities have downtown stadiums that are successful without parking, yet we doom it to failure do to no parking. Are we smarter or just dumb3r?

I love the Nationals new stadium and im going to a few games in June and July. But I watched a thing on the History Channel last night on the history of ballparks on the past present and future. One of the things it showed was the future home of the Oakland Athletics which is to be the most technologically advanced ballpark in the world and will open in the year 2011. It showed the new Mets Stadium known as Citi Field which is to look like the old Ebbetts Field. Then the new Yankee Stadium which is set to open in 2009 the same year as the mets new stadium. The 2008 All Star game is to be played at Yankee Stadium this year since its the final year of the old Yankee Stadium. I heard on the history channel that ballparks are returning to what they used to be in the earlier 1900's which was a ballpark in its downtown and not surrounded by an ocean of parking lots. The 60's were the dark ages of ballparks where they were basically all cookie cutter looking. They were used to house more than just baseball but football and other events. They were all pretty much circular looking like Veterans Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, Cinergy Field. Me I like how we build parks nowadays compaired to the 60's where they looked like garbage and all looked the same. Now we build like we did in the early 1900's and that had started back in 1992 with Camden Yards where they wanted to change the ballparks back to the way they once were. But some are becoming very futuristic like the new Tampa Bay Rays Stadium which im still trying to figure out how it will look like based on the renderings.

"There is one drawback. Parking around the stadium is almost non-existent". How can they make that work, yet every option for a new Stadium here has been shot down do to the same reason? Many cities have downtown stadiums that are successful without parking, yet we doom it to failure do to no parking. Are we smarter or just dumb3r?

Not dumber at all. They just happen to have this little thing called Metro that shuttles tens of thousands of folks from all over the Beltway region into the stadium area. Don't need too much of a parking lot if you can roll right up to the stadium. DC Metro is clean, safe and relatively inexpensive.