Richmond Sports

eandslee

The Gwinett Braves had moving trucks at The Diamond yesterday while ideas for Richmond's baseball future center on double A and Bostic's proposed Shockoe Bottom stadium.

From today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/content/cva/ric/news...09-16-0033.html

I think a stadium located in the Bottom and linked with the train shed has the best potential of becoming an entertainment destination. There's no longer a Loving's building to contend with and many of the blocks at or North of Grace are vacant anyway. Let the old Diamond site be taken over by VCU or become a new mixed-use development to compliment the other projects going on on North Boulevard.

Stan Kasten, prez of the Washington Nationals, believes Richmond needs to think seriously about a proper ballpark. Inaction on the part of the region before, during and after the Braves departure may be a factor in the failure to attract triple A level play.

From John O'Connor in today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-17-0178.html

Edited by burt

Stan Kasten, prez of the Washington Nationals, believes Richmond needs to think seriously about a proper ballpark. Inaction on the part of the region before, during and after the Braves departure may be a factor in the failure to attract triple A level play.

From John O'Connor in today's inRich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...09-17-0178.html

From the sounds of that article, the possibility of the Nat's AAA team coming to Richmond is more real than I thought. I knew that Columbus had one more year on their contract but never figured that we would actually have a shot with the bad press and all. I believe we should hold out on AA ball in town, unless it is somewhere in the burbs, and sharpen our ability to land the Nat's AAA team here.

DowntownDave pointed this one out to me:

http://ballparkwatch.com/ Scroll down to "Knights emerge as leading contender for Richmond; Kirk proposes million-dollar investment in Diamond"

Multiple sources in ownership ranks and the N.A. confirm the Charlotte Knights (Class AAA: International League) are first in line to claim the open Richmond market, with Ken Young and the Bowie BaySox (Class AA; Eastern League) slipping to the #2 spot. With tough times in the credit market, the escalating cost of a new ballpark in Charlotte's Uptown area and the seemingly endless legal battles, owner Don Beaver is looking at all his options -- and a potential move to Richmond is on the list.

Thoughts?

DowntownDave pointed this one out to me:

http://ballparkwatch.com/ Scroll down to "Knights emerge as leading contender for Richmond; Kirk proposes million-dollar investment in Diamond"

Thoughts?

Hey! If Triple A ball can be brought back to the City -- even if it takes two or three seasons -- go for it.

But how trustworthy is this Kirk guy.

Wonder what Brian Bostic thinks of this possibility?

Somehow, I just can't figure an ice rink covering the infield of The Diamond.

Edited by burt

Yeah Charlotte will probably have some Mega Rich guy create an expansion team for MLB. I can actually see Nashville and Charlotte be the next two cities with expansion teams for Major League Baseball. Just about every major city has a MLB team so my guess is Charlotte and Nashville are next in line for MLB teams or possibly New Orleans but who knows.

Yeah Charlotte will probably have some Mega Rich guy create an expansion team for MLB. I can actually see Nashville and Charlotte be the next two cities with expansion teams for Major League Baseball. Just about every major city has a MLB team so my guess is Charlotte and Nashville are next in line for MLB teams or possibly New Orleans but who knows.

You're so cynical man! :dontknow: While it would possibly create such an opportunity, apparently MLB does not have interest in Charlotte.

It seems that way, but I've just learned that with Richmond I have expect the worst case scenario and if it doesn't happen, then I'm pleasantly surprised!! :w00t: I've seen that whenever Charlotte and Richmond are in the headlines together it usually means that Charlotte is raping Richmond of something...in fact, I can't think off hand if there was ever good news for Richmond when the two are in the news together. If you can think of one, let me know (and the fact that we might have beat them in a baseball game doesn't count). Sorry, if I seem pessimistic - I'm really not normally.