Richmond Sports

eandslee

Richmond Renegades return with a Bang!

Richmond, VA - The Richmond Renegades opened their home season with a 6-1 win in front of 4,994 against the Jacksonville Barracudas on Saturday night. Canons were fired, the new mascot was unveiled, and electricity was in the air for the first game of the 2006-07 at the Richmond Coliseum....

It's great for the Gades to be back, even though it's a different league and all... Turnout was pretty good... better than Riverdogs games. My little brother has never been to a hockey game so i might have to take him sometime :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

From auto to equine: Colonial Downs is in negotiations with CBS to televise its two biggest races - The Turf Cup on June 16th and The Virginia Derby on July 21st.

This would be great National exposure for horse racing in Virginia. :)

See today's sports page in the TD for details (I still don't trust my cut and paste abilities).

Edited by burt

• 4 weeks later...

There is a story in the November 13th issue of Business Week titled "The Top 18 Emerging Golf Retirement Regions."

Richmond ranks #14 in the list with a "golf and non golf" total score of 66.9. Occupying the #1 spot is Greenwood Springs/Breckenrige, Colorado (Vail & Aspen) with a total score of 83.5. Dane County, Wisconsin came in 18th with a total score of 60.2.

• 1 month later...

Wrldcoupe4 will be in the stands at Patriot Center tonight cheering on his home team when GMU hosts VCU in a very important basketball game. One would be disloyal not to support his school.

But as an old (and I mean old!) alma mater of VCU (RPI in my day :lol: ), I'll be cheering on the Rams. :good:

Wrldcoupe4 will be in the stands at Patriot Center tonight cheering on his home team when GMU hosts VCU in a very important basketball game. One would be disloyal not to support his school.

But as an old (and I mean old!) alma mater of VCU (RPI in my day :lol: ), I'll be cheering on the Rams. :good:

Gotta agree with you burt. VCU is undefeated in conference play and ranked 2nd in the Mid-Majors poll. I'm hoping they get themselves a nice NCAA tournament bid in March to generate some local excitement. If VCU could do what GMU did in the last tournament that would really be something! :thumbsup:

Edited by ric75

I've got a class till 7:10 tonight, but hopefully the professor will show some mercy so I can get to the Patriot Center in time for the start of the game. It's on Comcast SportsNet, so watch it!

We're hot right now too, and this game is a good test for us as a team.

Edited by wrldcoupe4

Norfolk's American Hockey League team, The Admirals, had its first sell-out (approx. 9000) at Scope last night. I believe the team has been averaging about 5000 fans.

They whipped Hershey before the enthusiastic crowd.

Nostalgia note: Back in the 1970's when Richmond and Norfolk had rival teams in the AHL. average attendance for the Richmond Robins was 6500 and sell-outs of over 10,000 were not uncommon. I believe these figures were about the same, or a little less, in Norfolk. Richmond was top farm team for the Philadelphia Flyers, but I don't recall Norfolk's affiliation nor the name of their team. There was a terrific rivalry that was good for the gate whenever the two met.

Back to the present: The Norfolk Admirals are the top farm for the Chicago Blackhawks. But they may lose that affiliation since Rockford, Illinois is being prepped as an AHL site and is courting Chicago. Norfolk may ally with Carolina or Washington.

They play on Long Island on Wed night at Hofstra. That game may be for 1st place as at this time Hofstra has only lost 1 conference game.

I dont think VCU quite has the inside game this year to go really deep in the tournament but they have a good enough team to get there and maybe win a few games. There is already a great recruiting class on the way next year.

You are right. Coach Grant is a great coach.

Edited by majors2410

You are right. Coach Grant is a great coach.

Not only is he great, he was the assistant coach at my alma mater for over 12 years - University of Florida. He was definitely instrumental in helping them get to the Final Four twice and win on the second trip. It's been a pretty good ride the past year with winning the National Title in both Basketball & Football! :yahoo:

GO GATORS!!

Sorry to go off topic but it's nice to see a Florida coach succeeding in Richmond.