Richmond Sports

eandslee

• 2 months later...

So speaking of sport tourism, the Richmond Region Tourism has hired a consultant to develop a master plan for the area in an effort to bring the area up to the next level as a sports tourism destination!  If a good plan is followed, I can envision Richmond becoming a sports tourism destination for sports organizations across the country!  This could be huge for the region.  This is a good way for Richmond to become a destination for something other than history.  As a result, I can envision more companies wanting to locate here, the airport getting busier, more entertainment venues popping up to give visitors something more to do, and of course, an overall economic boost for the area.  Check out this RTD article here:

https://www.richmond.com/business/local/richmond-region-tourism-developing-a-master-plan-to-serve-as/article_117ef18f-5d2c-5e12-b402-aa2bbecb69cf.html

edit:  BTW, the Flying Squirrels will be hosting the the annual All-Star game next summer which will be a 4-day event that will celebrate the Richmond region.  What do you know...anther sports tourism event that will draw many people to Richmond from across the country!

https://wtvr.com/2018/10/23/flying-squirrels-announce-all-star-plans-and-logo/

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/19/2019 at 6:00 PM, Downtowner said:

My uneducated guess is that the Flying Squirrels will land on their feet as long as a new stadium happens. The market here is just too big for MLB to let it go. 

Seems a near certainty though that we will get contracted by another MLB team that is a better geographical fit than the Giants. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Urbs42 said:

My uneducated guess is that the Flying Squirrels will land on their feet as long as a new stadium happens. The market here is just too big for MLB to let it go. 

Seems a near certainty though that we will get contracted by another MLB team that is a better geographical fit than the Giants. 

Agreed... Richmond has nothing to worry about here. Danville and Burlington (NC) on the other hand look prime for the chopping block.

Question then becomes are we too close …. like Atlanta now is with Gwinnett (and Gwinnett having no one show up for games).   Actually they improved a little this year but still poor https://www.ajc.com/news/local/gwinnett-stripers-attendance-rate-increases-for-first-time-since-2011/aTYqomNXubVuqEtRxni9eO/

article
does talk about challenges having teams close to each other.

Would we be better off with Baltimore or Philadelphia etc. where there is some space between clubs.

I guess if done well it is possible to drive attendance to both venues.

Edited by cbl1

On 10/22/2019 at 9:25 AM, cbl1 said:

Question then becomes are we too close …. like Atlanta now is with Gwinnett (and Gwinnett having no one show up for games).   Actually they improved a little this year but still poor https://www.ajc.com/news/local/gwinnett-stripers-attendance-rate-increases-for-first-time-since-2011/aTYqomNXubVuqEtRxni9eO/

article
does talk about challenges having teams close to each other.

Would we be better off with Baltimore or Philadelphia etc. where there is some space between clubs.

I guess if done well it is possible to drive attendance to both venues.

It is a specious comparison.  Gwinnett is part of metro Atlanta and both the Braves and the Gwinnett Stripers play on the northern arch of the suburbs (30 miles apart).  Richmond and DC are two hours apart on a  good day.  That is plenty of distance.  

If the Nats want to build a strong regional fanbase, they should focus on Virginia, West Virginia, and eastern Carolina.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I would love to see an ahl team here in Richmond just right below the nhl level that would bring some awesome hockey. My guess is it’s an echl team which is pretty much double a hockey but still affiliated within an nhl team. Just the lowest tier affiliated with an nhl team. It’s the same thing Norfolk has. But man if we can get an ahl team that would make me really happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To tie in with the Caps would be a big benefit. Tom Farrell sits on the Greater Washington Partnership board with Ted Leonsis...

Yes as much as I’d love that I don’t see there ahl team leaving Hershey unless they change the affiliate with them and give us caps affiliate. My guess it could be there team the south Carolina stingrays who are the caps echl team. So who knows we will just have to wait and find out on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk