Richmond Sports

eandslee

New arena... great news... the demolition of the Coliseum is good news... bad news losing a giant entertainment site downtown. And no the Carpenter Center and National are not enough.

I agree. Coliseums and stadiums belong downtown. They help solidify a city's identity. They need to be downtown and in close proximity to each other in order to help build critical mass.

I agree. Coliseums and stadiums belong downtown. They help solidify a city's identity. They need to be downtown and in close proximity to each other in order to help build critical mass.

We could just build downtown an arm out to the diamond.

They call me... THE PROBLEM SOLVER! ;)

I agree that they need to be downtown. But we don't have any room for a new arena downtown is the problem. There are few to no sites for a new arena downtown. One site I wish could of been was the site of the Greater Richmond Convention Center. To me the Convention Center is the most useless new structure downtown. I mean there is hardly anything that goes on in the convention center and was a total waste of money. If there were bigger events in the Convention Center than it wouldn't be as bad. But if the new arena was built where the Convention Center is then to me that would be a great site. I don't think there are many sites for a new arena downtown if not any.

This weekend (13th-17th) the Greater Richmond Convention Center hosts the annual convention for the National Association of Counties. It's a big enough event that banners are hung throughout downtown welcoming the organization:

"Over 3,000 appointed and elected officials from across the country will meet at the 72nd NACo Annual Conference and Exposition"

Hillary Clinton, Tucker Carlson, and others will be speakers at the 5 day event. I think a new arena downtown directly east of the coliseum could potentially be pulled off.

The only building really in the way would be the horribly decrepit Public Safety Building which the city wouldn't mind seeing disappear. Plaza space would be limited if the John Marshall Courts building remained, but it would still be doable. It would be bound by 8th, 10th, Clay, and Leigh. Plenty of parking decks nearby which would be unaffected. These blocks are planned for future biotech expansion, but if a new arena was built, biotech could expand into the Coliseum's former footprint.

The only building really in the way would be the horribly decrepit Public Safety Building which the city wouldn't mind seeing disappear. Plaza space would be limited if the John Marshall Courts building remained, but it would still be doable. It would be bound by 8th, 10th, Clay, and Leigh. Plenty of parking decks nearby which would be unaffected. These blocks are planned for future biotech expansion, but if a new arena was built, biotech could expand into the Coliseum's former footprint.

That's an interesting idea, Coupe. Is the old Safety Building footprint large enough? It's pretty long, but only one block wide.

Wish I could've gone! Kickers move to the Quarterfinals!

Burt, the Safety building takes up more than 1 block as Clay is cut off by it.

Do you mean the Public Health building instead of the Public Safety building? The one that faces the intersection of 10th and Clay?

If so I dont think VCU would approve...

I'm referring to the Public Safety Building:

this building

Yup we are talking about the same building. The arm of the building that comes out towards clay to the east faces VCU public health masters program building and the VCU health administrators department. That particular building face has "Public Health" on it, the only reason for my question. I wouldnt mind seeing it replaced actually. And it would keep the stadium convenient to the local parking.

I'd love to see that building replaced and Clay reopened... it is connected to the social services building and it smells funky inside... kinda liked it when I was younger... probably the asbestos... my grandmother used to work there when it was new.

I'm referring to the Public Safety Building:

this building

Coupe, I realize that the site spans Clay Street, but I wonder if the two block long plot is wide enough for an arena. The standard block is about 250 feet wide. An arena would need space for a basketball court, tiered seating on all sides and concourses. Seems like a tight fit to me, but definately worth studying!

Well you tear down the original one and move the important streets over there... :rolleyes:

I am not so sure Philip Morris would like the idea of slapping a road through the middle of their new building for that to work. :o

Edited by Icetera

Richmond whupped the LA Galaxy, but missed out on the super star by a couple of days. If the blonde-haired guy and his spice girl wife had been on hand, I'll bet U of R Stadium would have been jammed by more teeny-boppers than soccer fans. :lol:

Edited by burt

Joey, was there a Braves game with Toledo last night at The Diamond, or was it rained out?

I simply cannot understand why it is so difficult to get any Braves info Sunday mornings at inRich.

By the way, they did do a good story on The Virginia Derby run at Colonial Downs yesterday. About 9,000 attended and the unexpected winning horse paid $76 for a $2 bet.