Richmond Sports

eandslee

Joey, was there a Braves game with Toledo last night at The Diamond, or was it rained out?

I simply cannot understand why it is so difficult to get any Braves info Sunday mornings at inRich.

By the way, they did do a good story on The Virginia Derby run at Colonial Downs yesterday. About 9,000 attended and the unexpected winning horse paid $76 for a $2 bet.

I attended the Richmond Braves game, they lost 4-1 to Toledo. I know it might be difficult, but the Braves established an unofficial record for most people donning Groucho Marx glasses simultaneously - 2,513 as compared to the official record of 1,463 people doing the same thing last year.

Baerlocher got tagged for four Toledo runs, he broke down in the 3rd inning, giving up 3 after striking out six Mud Hens. Richmond had one of its own in 5th with sac fly, but Toledo put another run an inning later.

I attended the Richmond Braves game, they lost 4-1 to Toledo. I know it might be difficult, but the Braves established an unofficial record for most people donning Groucho Marx glasses simultaneously - 2,513 as compared to the official record of 1,463 people doing the same thing last year.

Baerlocher got tagged for four Toledo runs, he broke down in the 3rd inning, giving up 3 after striking out six Mud Hens. Richmond had one of its own in 5th with sac fly, but Toledo put another run an inning later.

That's funny, ODU, about the glasses and mustaches. Does anyone have a clue why this game was not commented on in that new inadequate inRich?

InRich DID report today that yesterday's game against Toledo was called because of a bomb scare. What a shame. One of the few times they've drawn 5000+ and some jerk phones in a threat! The score was Toledo 6, Richmond 0 when the Diamond had to be evacuated. The game will be completed tonight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Michael Paul Williams sure has got it right. "A new Diamond or a divorce", sez he in his column today at the Times Dispatch:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...08-17-0150.html

Yeah, I wish something would move on this. Seems we've been waiting a very long time to see something happen...to the point where I believe nothing will happen. What a shame! Hell, I would have like to seen at least the worst of the proposals completed than nothing at all. This is just sad and pathetic.

I still think they are talking about this behind closed doors with the general public not knowing. You saw all the Nimbys with the Shockoe Bottom Proposal. I think they have decided to discuss it behind closed doors. So that people won't go crazy about it again like they did with Shockoe Bottom.

I still think they are talking about this behind closed doors with the general public not knowing. You saw all the Nimbys with the Shockoe Bottom Proposal. I think they have decided to discuss it behind closed doors. So that people won't go crazy about it again like they did with Shockoe Bottom.

I hope you're right about this. Still, it's no excuse for not having done something yet. We've been talking for too many years. It's time to see some earth moving on this.

Call me a NIMBY, but I'd rather my elected officials not commit to spending my tax dollars behind closed doors.

Michael Paul Williams sure has got it right. "A new Diamond or a divorce", sez he in his column today at the Times Dispatch:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...08-17-0150.html

I think this stadium argument has become ridiculous. Personally I'd call for a divorce and throw money towards a team that plays a sport with a future, the Richmond Kickers for example. They play at U of R stadium and manage 2-3,000 per game. It's arguably a far worse venue than the Diamond. For a long while when people went to watch Virginia Tech play football, the vast majority were sitting on metal bleachers and the amenities were nothing to brag about yet they sold out pretty much ever game. This isn't about the stadium, it's about a sport that is probably on its last legs and a city with too many other things to do besides watch a slow ball game. If you want to put public money towards a sport make it soccer. It's only a matter of time before it explodes. We've been seeing the momentum building for years now. How about we try being ahead of the curve instead of behind it for a change?

I'd love to see the Kickers in a purpose-built soccer stadium, but I fear if one is built it will be in the western suburbs (Short Pump area or Midlothian).

Speaking of the Kickers, they will be hosting the championship game for the USL-2 this Saturday night. Hopefully we'll have more silverware under our belts!

Major Leage Baseball is setting another attendance record this year. Other minor league franchises with new ballparks are experienceing great attendance numbers. It is the stadium.

I'm sorry, but I have been hearing about the emergence of soccer in this country as a major sport for years now. It hasn't happened and I ain't holding my breath.

The Richmond Kickers are far and away the best at their level...even among top league cities, are they not? Didn't they beat Los Angeles in some kind of play-off? And yet they rarely attract more than 3000 fans even when the visiting team is one of the big boys.

Each season it seems attendance drops at Braves games, notwithstanding the present team is the best in years.

Poor facilities is the culprit. Whether or not people wish to acknowledge it, present day sports stadia and arenas are not the Roman Coliseum; they wear out and have to be replaced or rebuilt every generation or so if a city wishes to remain competitive.

U of R Stadium, The Diamond and Richmond Coliseum are simply old, uncomfortable and out-of-date. Idealy, all of them should be replaced. If they all could be lumped in one sports destination area, so much the better.

Major Leage Baseball is setting another attendance record this year. Other minor league franchises with new ballparks are experienceing great attendance numbers. It is the stadium.

I'm sorry, but I have been hearing about the emergence of soccer in this country as a major sport for years now. It hasn't happened and I ain't holding my breath.

As a former Richmond resident, I know this argument all too well. While Richmond does enjoy some success with the Kickers, it wouldn't touch what could be done by building a new Braves ballpark either downtown or near the Diamond. Living in Charlotte now, you wouldn't believe the excitement that's being generated about the Knights stadium that will be built in downtown. Currently they play in South Carolina and they have a hard time drawing fans out to a bad stadium in a bad location. But with the new stadium, where a lot of people can walk to from either work or their condos... it'll be a hit. It happens in so many other places. It'll happen in Charlotte and would happend in Richmond. Hopefully the leaders in Richmond can get their act together and move forward with something.

Richmond, sadly IMO, has lost its chance for a downtown ballpark. But there is behind the scenes discussion about a new or rebuilt facility at its present site on North Boulevard.

The Durham Bulls ( ;) ) are doing well in their new downtown home as are Toledo, Pawtucket and Norfolk.

Richmond, sadly IMO, has lost its chance for a downtown ballpark. But there is behind the scenes discussion about a new or rebuilt facility at its present site on North Boulevard.

The Durham Bulls ( ;) ) are doing well in their new downtown home as are Toledo, Pawtucket and Norfolk.

That's a shame if they lost the chance for a downtown park. I have friends that live in Memphis and Norfolk. They rave over their downtown parks and what it's done for the area. Even if you don't like baseball, it's a great way to spend the evening out with family and/or friends during the summer. I always thought a "revived" boulevard location would work too as long as it had some housing and retail in the area.

Housing and retail would ideally be part of a new Diamond plan on the Boulevard... There's also significant investment occurring nearby including a new 16-screen movie theater, restaurants, apartments, and condos.

Henry, I hope you don't write off soccer too soon. While I don't forsee it eclipsing football or basketball or even baseball, I would like to see it become one of the top 4 sports in the country. Pro soccer has come a LONG way since the MLS started only 10 or so years ago. The league and the teams are in the black, more teams than ever have their own purpose built stadiums, and attendance is always on the rise. DC United averages something like 25,000 fans a game which rivals some of the top flight European clubs in attendance (not 'super' teams like Manchester Utd., Barcelona, Inter, etc). Several other MLS teams average around 20k, even franchises with big time losing records like Toronto FC. Soccer is by far the most popular youth sport and the level of play is fantastic. With so much competition in the US, a sport can't become mega popular here overnight.... but soccer and the MLS are making significant, steady, strides forward.

Our Kickers have a high level of play, and it's unfortunate that they must play in USL-2 to stay financially viable as a club. Their level of play was always at the top of USL-1 and I've seen them hang with the MLS teams. UR Stadium is a crap venue for soccer. I'd love to see the Kickers have a purpose-built 6,000-8,000 seat stadium with modern amenities and designed to be expandable if necessary in the future.

Guys all this Soccer discussion is pissing me off. All Soccer is is a Communist Sport played by a bunch of foreigners. Id rather watch grass grow than to watch soccer. Burt im sure you remember this but back in th 40's 50's and 60's people would live and breath baseball and play it in the streets and everything and I know my parents did during that time back in the 60's. I was watching a thing on the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees in the 1956 World Series when the Brooklyn Dodgers beat the New York Yankees in thw World Series and people would do all sorts of crazy stuff I heard some people would commit suicide whenever their team lost the pennant or the world series. I mean people would go nuts over baseball those days. I mean Baseball in those days was what America was all about. Baseball is America's Greatest Pastime and should remain with that name. I mean why can't this country and city return to those days where Baseball was the Glory days of America. I guess people got too caught up with all the wows with technology and made people dumber. But I will not let someone slam on Baseball like that. It is Americas Pastime and hopefully the returning best sport within the future.

I'm curious as to how my post pissed you off Joey.

I'd love for you to elaborate on how soccer is a communist sport played by a bunch of foreigners.

<_<

I think Ill address the design portion of the last few posts, as opposed to the soccer discussion.

I am not sure about this, but what is going on along the river between Shockoe Bottom and Rocketts landing... it strikes me as a dead space on the map...RIPE for a downtown sports complex.

(Ok now you are all going to get even madder than that comment, so hold your hats)

OR!

What about Manchester? There is a lot of land over there that one developer in particular has a contract on... it just so happens that this guy wants to put a walmart or a target in there. And yes I said Manchester. To this guys credit I think the idea died, when he unfortunately died. His company still does, however, have the contract. If this gentlemens company were brought into the Diamond discussion about building a sportsplex-type destination in Manchester, right across from downtown in a new burgeoning mixed use artist colony area who would lose in that?

All this talk about "downtown stadiums" and why the Braves don't have better attendance. Let's get down to brass tacks here. The real reason that the Braves attendance isn't going anywhere is because people don't want to get ganked for parking if they are buying a ticket, overpriced food, beer and ice cream. Bottom line. If the Braves want to see an increase in attendance, just make the parking FREE. Does the revenue from the parking even pay for the salaries of the lot attendants? Just do away with the lot attendants, open the darn gates and let the people in! What's the big deal? I would bet dollars to doughnuts that attendance would jump 50%.

<_<

I think Ill address the design portion of the last few posts, as opposed to the soccer discussion.

I am not sure about this, but what is going on along the river between Shockoe Bottom and Rocketts landing... it strikes me as a dead space on the map...RIPE for a downtown sports complex.

(Ok now you are all going to get even madder than that comment, so hold your hats)

OR!

What about Manchester? There is a lot of land over there that one developer in particular has a contract on... it just so happens that this guy wants to put a walmart or a target in there. And yes I said Manchester. To this guys credit I think the idea died, when he unfortunately died. His company still does, however, have the contract. If this gentlemens company were brought into the Diamond discussion about building a sportsplex-type destination in Manchester, right across from downtown in a new burgeoning mixed use artist colony area who would lose in that?

Wilder wanted to build a stadium at the Fulton Gas Works site but that fell through. Issues included traffic, parking, and the general NIMBYness of Church Hill residents. Pretty much the same issues that killed the Shockoe Bottom proposal. Of course add to that the fact that the site is a brownfield and there are too many hurdles to build there though in theory, I agree with the premise of trying to fill that gap. I was actually for the Shockoe Bottom proposal if the numbers added up, but that was mainly because of all the other construction and infill that was to be associated with the development. Personally I don't think one ballpark will be the savior of downtown nor of the Braves and I hate to see millions in taxpayer dollars go towards a franchise/business that should be able to support itself. Personally, I'd like to know how much public money has gone to the Braves compared to the Kickers and what the city has gotten back financially as a result of its investment.

All this talk about "downtown stadiums" and why the Braves don't have better attendance. Let's get down to brass tacks here. The real reason that the Braves attendance isn't going anywhere is because people don't want to get ganked for parking if they are buying a ticket, overpriced food, beer and ice cream. Bottom line. If the Braves want to see an increase in attendance, just make the parking FREE. Does the revenue from the parking even pay for the salaries of the lot attendants? Just do away with the lot attendants, open the darn gates and let the people in! What's the big deal? I would bet dollars to doughnuts that attendance would jump 50%.

I don't buy this argument. Richmond is not alone in charginig for these things. People everywhere may grumble but are accustomed to paying for parking near their ballparks as well as food stuffs, but they want to do it in comfortable surroundings. The new stadiums are filling seats. Of course more people would attend if they didn't have these peripheral charges, but they would be watching local ballplayers, not pros. The cost of operating in leagues with major affiliations is pretty staggering.

The Fulton Gas Works idea wasn't serious at all. But Shockoe to me wasn't the best location. Remember, we'd be following another national fad. If anything, I was wishing for a stadium on the Norfolk Southern railyard which would offer great views of the city and would probably help Manchester out quite a bit.