Richmond Sports

eandslee

The Fulton Gas Works idea wasn't serious at all. But Shockoe to me wasn't the best location. Remember, we'd be following another national fad. If anything, I was wishing for a stadium on the Norfolk Southern railyard which would offer great views of the city and would probably help Manchester out quite a bit.

So the manchester proposal should have legs in everyones eyes. There is no way a new stadium would 'be a savior,' with that I completely agree. But, a mixed use, large scale development being built to establish a tax base right next to a new sportsplex can more than justify any tax-payers dollars being spent. Burt is right when he says that facilities bring people in, not low cost parking. Now if they remain at the diamond, then by all means make the parking free, which is the only way they will get more people to come. A new stadium is a necessity, we can all agree to that. Keeping it where it is, is only semi-feasible in my eyes. More than likely it would be better in Manchester, and who could NIMBY that proposal into the dirt? No one, hardly anyone lives there but a bunch of run-down industrial buildings.

So why not solve a blight problem, while being fiscally responsible and giving something back to the general population of the city?

"as long as you have a Top Prospect in the Minors on your Team you will be doing fine"

True, but from what I have seen, the Richmond Braves are treated like what they are; a farm team. Every year, after the all-star break, the parent club in Atlanta will call-up most, if not all, of the good talent on the Richmond ballclub. Who can argue? After all, that's what they are there for. The Yankees rarely ever called-up players, leaving a healthy, robust farm club that was usually in first place.

"A new stadium is a necessity, we can all agree to that. "

I don't know. I think I would have to disagree with that statement. I go to the diamond quite a bit and I don't think it is uncomfortable at all. The field has been in immaculate shape since the Bob Dylan/Willie Nelson concert, and the facility itself is solid. Concessions are another story alltogether. It appears that some of the concessions are run by local groups and are slow as death. The only concession stand I like is the blonde (usually braided) girl at the beer stand behind home plate. She always keeps the good beers cold and is very quick.

"...the general NIMBYness of Church Hill residents"

I guess I am the opposite of NIMBY. I must be a WIIMBY (want it in my back yard). As far as I know, there is little to no opposition to the ballpark in our neighborhood. It is quite the opposite. We are all very receptive to their presence and a good number of us do attend the games regularly. I don't think that there are many northsiders that want to see the Braves leave the Diamond.

Braves Agree to Diamond Deal

The Richmond Braves will play at The Diamond for at least one more season.

The Atlanta Braves and the Richmond Metropolitan Authority have agreed to a series of three, one-year leases to keep the R-Braves at The Diamond through the 2010 season....

The agreement gives the Braves and the city and metropolitan region more time to continue discussions about whether to build a new stadium to replace The Diamond or renovate it. The Diamond opened in 1985.

Talk about a depressing picture of the Diamond...

I'm glad we know the Braves are at the table, but we need to start seeing action instead of talking. This town does too much talking and lacks enough action.

• 2 weeks later...

BRAVES ARE IN THE 2007 PLAYOFFS :yahoo::alc:

Here are the times and pitching Rotations for the Series between

Scranton Wilkes-Barre Vs Richmond Braves

Game 1: 09/05/07 07:00PM SWB @ RIC (Steven White against Jeff Bennett)

Game 2: 09/06/07 07:00PM SWB @ RIC (Kei Igawa against Blaine Boyer)

Game 3: 09/07/07 07:00PM RIC @ SWB (Francisely Bueno against Matt DeSalvo)

Game 4: 09/08/07 01:30PM RIC @ SWB (If Necessary) (Kevin Barry against Jeff Karstens)

Game 5: 09/09/07 06:00PM RIC @ SWB (If Necessary) (TBD against TBD)

TBD= To be Determined.

But Kei Igawa was supposed to be the Yankees big time signing from Japan but failed to show his top talent in NYC so he got demoted down to AAA Scranton. But I will be at Game 2 to watch Kei Igawa pitch against Blaine Boyer. GO BRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigbie turns it up a notch in the playoffs and Timmons is the new "Charlie Hustle" IMO. Braves take a one game lead in the series last night. The radio broadcast made mention of some die-hard Braves fans that made the road trip up to PA for the game.

GO BRAVES!!!!!

The RBraves took the first play-off session with Scranton 3 to 1. Next they take on the Durham Bulls in their park for 2 games and return to The Diamond for the next three games (if necessary).

Durham seems to have some pretty solid pitching. The Braves are due a little "get-back" though from that last pitiful series against Durham. This should be a good matchup. I hope to catch a few more games at the Diamond before the season ends.

Other Richmond sports reports:

Virginia Union University had a pretty decent crowd out last night as they beat Central State University. http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/colle...09-09-0286.html

In the 14 years I have been a VUU neighbor, this is about as good as their team has ever looked IMO.

On a side note, when (if ever) will VCU ever have a football program?!? I saw the my first official ODU football shirt on Friday and couldn't help but wonder why VCU, as big as it is, doesn't have a football team. I have seen the t-shirts that read, "VCU Football" on the front and on the back it reads, "Still Undefeated".

I've heard that VCU will never have a football program under Trani.. I think he's even declared it.

Who would intentionally deprive their students of one of America's favorite sports and their school of a major source of income? What an ignorant statement to make. Anyone know the reason behind this?

Who would intentionally deprive their students of one of America's favorite sports and their school of a major source of income? What an ignorant statement to make. Anyone know the reason behind this?

I'm with you on this on ric75. I've actually heard Trani declare such a thing! It's stupid through my eyes, but it's true - VCU will not have a football team as long as Trani is there. I think one reason might be because of the cost. Apparently, it is very expensive to set up a football team (think about the uniforms, travel, stadium, etc.) and I think Trani's focus is on increasing the level of education and increasing the state-of-the art facilities at the university. Still, I'd very much so like to see a football team organized soon. I bet some donations would roll in for the university to get one started. Still, even if one were established, it could only help the university gain publicity which would draw in more students and more money to the university, so I'm not entirely sure what Trani's thinking is on this.

I'm with you on this on ric75. I've actually heard Trani declare such a thing! It's stupid through my eyes, but it's true - VCU will not have a football team as long as Trani is there. I think one reason might be because of the cost. Apparently, it is very expensive to set up a football team (think about the uniforms, travel, stadium, etc.) and I think Trani's focus is on increasing the level of education and increasing the state-of-the art facilities at the university. Still, I'd very much so like to see a football team organized soon. I bet some donations would roll in for the university to get one started. Still, even if one were established, it could only help the university gain publicity which would draw in more students and more money to the university, so I'm not entirely sure what Trani's thinking is on this.

Trani may change his tune when VCU is drummed out of the CAA. It's already bad enough that there isn't a venue in this town that is sufficient to host a NCAA tournament and will soon be insufficient to host the CAA tournament. By 2009, all CAA schools will have football programs with the exception of VCU. What will happen if the Atlantic-10 schools pull their football programs, (which play temporarily in the CAA confrence to meet NCAA criteria ) from the CAA? They will be thrust into some second-rate league with no ability to recruit talented basketball prospects. But from what is being said of Trani's view on football, I doubt he would really care if the basketball program collapsed as well. VCU has an excellent coach right now, talented players with a lot of potential and momentum in the fan base. They should capitalize on this momentum and school spirit and "kickoff" with football.

Maybe VCU could acquire a cash-strapped VUU and adopt its football program. They are already starting to envelop VUU's campus with their baseball team playing at the Diamond and VCU transportation facilities sprouting-up blocks from Union's campus.

Wow what misinformation. Drexel, UNCW, Ga State and GMU all do not have football. Theres absolutely NO chance of VCU being asked to leave the CAA. VCU is one of the strongest schools in the league, even without football. I-aa football is a big money loser. Title 9 has alot to do with schools not starting football.

Edited by majors2410

RBraves took the first play-off game in Durham against The Bulls last night.

This is good news for the Braves and the city. Hopefully, they'll win it all this year and give our sports scene a bit of a boost. Perhaps a new ballpark will meet the fast track pending a championship season. :dontknow:

Guys the Braves may win the IL Championship but they havent faced the biggest championship yet. They have to play in the AAA Championship against the PCL known as the Pacific Coast League and will play either New Orleans Zephyrs or the Sacramento River Cats. The River Cats are the Oakland Athletics AAA Team and Oakland has one of the best Farm Systems in the entire MLB or I heard they did at one time. The New Orleans Zephyrs is the the Mets Farm Team and used to be the Wasington Nationals AAA Farm Team last year. But the Braves stand a pretty good chance against a Pacific Coast League Team if they can win the IL. Also the AAA Championship will be on ESPN as it has just started being on there in recent years. Also I will be attending the Durham at Richmond Game tomorrow night so I may see the whole thing come to an end tomorrow night if the braves can hold up tonight so far the score is

1-1 tied game tonight. Niemann hasnt done very good against the Rbraves he has a 5.17 ERA against the R-Braves this season. Reporting Live from Richmond VA Joey Perry Urban Planet Sports. Thought I would add a media flair to it.

Guys the Braves may win the IL Championship but they havent faced the biggest championship yet. They have to play in the AAA Championship against the PCL known as the Pacific Coast League and will play either New Orleans Zephyrs or the Sacramento River Cats. The River Cats are the Oakland Athletics AAA Team and Oakland has one of the best Farm Systems in the entire MLB or I heard they did at one time. The New Orleans Zephyrs is the the Mets Farm Team and used to be the Wasington Nationals AAA Farm Team last year. But the Braves stand a pretty good chance against a Pacific Coast League Team if they can win the IL. Also the AAA Championship will be on ESPN as it has just started being on there in recent years. Also I will be attending the Durham at Richmond Game tomorrow night so I may see the whole thing come to an end tomorrow night if the braves can hold up tonight so far the score is

1-1 tied game tonight. Niemann hasnt done very good against the Rbraves he has a 5.17 ERA against the R-Braves this season. Reporting Live from Richmond VA Joey Perry Urban Planet Sports. Thought I would add a media flair to it.

Roger! Over and out. :lol:

That is a good report Joey. Wasn't it Niemann's wild fast ball that brought all players out of their dugouts last night in Durham?