Richmond Sports

eandslee

The RBraves sweep a double-header and win the Governor's cup. :yahoo::alc:

Coming from behind with a one game deficit, they beat the Durham Bulls 6-2 and 7-2 to top the International League for the first time since 1994.

They fly out of RIC today on a charter flight to Oklahoma City to meet the winner in the Pacific Coast AAA League, Sacramento. The winner-take-all single game will be televised live Tuesday at 8PM on ESPN. Sort of like a one game Little World Series!

Okay, so looking at the sports section of the RTD this morning, I discovered that Richmond has a semi pro football team called the Virginia Hornets. What? I've never heard this in my life. Anyone know more about this team, where they play, etc.? They apparently are pretty good and they defeated Raleigh last night. Who knew? :dontknow:

Okay, so looking at the sports section of the RTD this morning, I discovered that Richmond has a semi pro football team called the Virginia Hornets. What? I've never heard this in my life. Anyone know more about this team, where they play, etc.? They apparently are pretty good and they defeated Raleigh last night. Who knew? :dontknow:

I believe that I heard something about them playing at John Marshall High School football field. I, too, did not know that we had a semi-pro football team. :huh:

It's news to me, too. Wasn't there an arena football team operating in the Coliseum a year or so ago? What happpened to it?

I believe you're talking about the Richmond Speed... then the Bandits. The speed folded in 2003 and I think the Bandits are gone too.

I do agree these teams need not just a spotlight, but some sunlight. People just didn't know about them as the Hornets are new to me.

Edited by Cadeho

• 3 weeks later...

For this reason alone, I'm ready for Trani to move on.

Eric, I would venture to say your pride and love for Richmond would not be nearly as intense if it were not for Trani's contributions. He has done remarkable things that a small percentage of locals deplore, but his value to the city's progress is recognized and lauded by most observers.

By way of appeasement, his tenure is nearing its end, so perhaps the next provost will be more inclined to initiate a football program. IMO, a decent place to play the games is as important as the formation of a team. Trani is very strongly behind the development of sports facilities at the Diamond site.

I would agree that Mr. Trani has done immense things for the Richmond area. Everything they build is quality. They go out of their way, at their own expense, to appease special interest groups who oppose VCU's growth. They have contributed to city projects where they didn't really have to. (Belvidere and Broad) VCU, under Mr. Trani, has been an excellent neighbor!

I do worry, however, that Mr. Trani's lackluster views towards VCU sports could eventually lead to the basketball program losing one of the best college basketball coaches in the entire NCAA. I believe that Anthony Grant will show the nation this year that VCU is an up-and-coming powerhouse. We almost lost him to Florida this year and I feel that if Grant is not compensated for his accomplishments, then we will be seeing VCU searching for another basketball coach. I would hope that Mr. Trani will loosen the purse strings a little bit if/when Grant puts VCU in the national spotlight this year in a big way.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc59/dc...746-175S005.jpg

I was under the impression that Grant got a big salary boost even before his short-lived offer from Florida. If I recall, his new salary plus benefits equals the top offered at universities at the same sports level as VCU.

His present job is a stepping-stone until, and unless, VCU raises its conference stature above the CAA.

Oh, I agree that he has done a lot for VCU and for the redevelopment of Richmond...and it needed to be done! For that, I applaud Mr. Trani, but now that he's gotten the ball rolling on almost all of the scheduled projects slated for VCU, perhaps, just perhaps, it would be nice to have another college president to focus on another aspect of the university such as sports. I will never downplay Mr. Trani's importance to VCU and Richmond in the past decade - he's done some fabulous work! Sorry about the confusion there, guys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

University of Richmond football stadium faces delay and hefty cost over-runs. From yesterday's inRich sports page:

<a href='http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/ipb_seo.php?url=http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/footb...10-31-0097.html' rel='nofollow' target="_blank" onclick="java script:urchinTracker('/outgoing/www_inrich_com');">http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports/footb...10-31-0097.html</a>

Sorry, folks. Despite well-intentioned help from some of you, I just don't know how to link anymore. Sometimes it works, but more and more of late, it doesn't. Henceforth, I'll reference stories and those of you who are interested can go to the source.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose at this moment there are upwards of 11,000 pairs of tired feet racing along city streets in the Richmond Marathon. Maybe some of our contributors are among the throng. :)

The number of participants since the first marathon in 1978 has grown from about 2800 to todays's 11,000.

Just about all of Virginias Football Teams won yesterday. The big game from Richmonds Universites was

University of Richmond at Delaware. University of Richmond won the game in 5 Overtimes. Also both UVA and Virginia Tech won last nights football games. But today is when I get to see my Pittsburgh Steelers play. I think we have the best chance at beating the New England Patriots more than most teams.

I bet you all didint know this, The Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown is home to a Hall of Famer who was born and raised in Virginia. He played in the Negro Leagues and heres a little info on his name and who he was.

Ray Dandridge- (1913-1994)- Ray Dandridge was born in Richmond Virginia and was one of the greatest fielding third basemen in baseball history,Dandridge was a high average hitter who batted 362 at age 36 in the american association. He played in the Negro Leagues for his whole career. He was a Golden Glove amatuer boxer as a young man. He was playing with his hometown sandlot team when it played the Detroit Stars in 1933. He was compared to Brooks Robinson of the Baltimore Orioles but with a better arm than Brooks. in 1939 he accepted an offer to play ball in the mexican league in Vera Cruz. Dandridge was inducted into the hall of fame in 1987.

I have an autograph baseball card of Ray Dandrige incoming from ebay that I payed a ton of money for since it is a very high end card. I will show you all his signature when I get the card of a guy who was born and raised here in Richmond. Plus I would like to add if I was to help kids in the inner city play baseball I would love to bring up Ray Dandrige who would be a hige influenced on kids in the inner city to play baseball who w as true negro league player. If he was still alive now I would form a baseball camp in the city at no cost and get r ay dandrige to teach them a thing or two. To me he would of been a big help on inner city schools in richmond. They did a thing on ESPN SportsCenter in the inner city schools and baseball in Richmond VA of kids getting back into baseball. I forget the guys name to did it but he is trying to get the inner city school kids back in baseball here in Richmond. If I had the money I would donate it to the schools for updated equiptment and facilities and for new weight traning machinery to get the kids back into competing with the suburbs of sports cause it makes me sick when schools like Deep Run adn Godwin and even Freeman pound on the inner city schools who are in our division. Which are John Marshall and Thomas Jefferson who are god awful and need some help with competing with the suburbs because I played baseball at TJ and at John Marshall and I said to myself god I wish I could help these kids with new equiptment and facilities.

Heres a picture of Dandridge

danridge.jpg

Edited by Downtowner