Richmond Sports

eandslee

...And the domino effect begins.... Who said the Braves don't attract business? Doh!

Not sure I would call it part of the domino theory...

"Poseidon Foundation President Mary C. Doswell gave the same reasons for giving up on the Boulevard project as the Braves -- delay and uncertainty.

"It just would take too much time," she said yesterday.

The Chesterfield Board of Supervisors approved a rezoning for the sports complex this month, setting the stage for construction to begin as early as June and the project to be complete by the middle of next year.

In contrast, Doswell said Richmond's consultant, The Staubach Co., estimated that the development of the Boulevard property would take three to five years."

Sounds to me that they needed to move forward , regardless of the Braves

Here is another reason that we should not cry too loud for the Braves...

From WWBT.com "Most of the city schools are in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, despite court orders to remedy the situation. The ADA mandates that schools must make reasonable accommodation for students with disabilities.

Parents of disabled children say they have fought a long time for Richmond schools to make the changes.

"I'm not asking them to do something that the courts haven't said they need to do, or that the federal government has said they need to do,

Here is another reason that we should not cry too loud for the Braves...

From WWBT.com "Most of the city schools are in violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act, despite court orders to remedy the situation. The ADA mandates that schools must make reasonable accommodation for students with disabilities.

Parents of disabled children say they have fought a long time for Richmond schools to make the changes.

"I'm not asking them to do something that the courts haven't said they need to do, or that the federal government has said they need to do,

Not sure I would call it part of the domino theory...

"Poseidon Foundation President Mary C. Doswell gave the same reasons for giving up on the Boulevard project as the Braves -- delay and uncertainty.

"It just would take too much time," she said yesterday.

The Chesterfield Board of Supervisors approved a rezoning for the sports complex this month, setting the stage for construction to begin as early as June and the project to be complete by the middle of next year.

In contrast, Doswell said Richmond's consultant, The Staubach Co., estimated that the development of the Boulevard property would take three to five years."

Sounds to me that they needed to move forward , regardless of the Braves

This is definitely the domino theory at work based on the ineptitude of Richmond leadership.

This is definitely the domino theory at work based on the ineptitude of Richmond leadership.

Well you can claim the sky is falling out there in CA but we'll keep chugging along over here. While people are upset over this, no one here is hitting the panic button. Overall things look rosy. Changes are happening in City government (though not as quickly as we'd like), citizen involvement is on the rise, and private investment and infill continues downtown.

Only because you say so. It's just the same circumstance, they did not cite the Braves.

I never said it was because of the Braves. I said it was the Richmond leadership..."delay and uncertainty"...a result of Richmond leadership.

Edited by eandslee

I never said it was because of the Braves. I said it was the Richmond leadership..."delay and uncertainty"...a result of Richmond leadership.

It's just amazing to me that they pull out AFTER the city has put the ball in motion choosing Staubach and putting out an RFQ for developers. The timeline for the Boulevard appears to be on track. The entire selection process would be complete by the 2nd quarter of 08 with the project starting up soon after. Still, everything continues to move forward. It took Wilder a while to get everyone back on the same page and focused on a new stadium on the Boulevard. The stadium was slated for Phase I of the project and would have been finished by the time the RBraves lease extensions had expired. The city is completely on point in not just building a new stadium and failing to improve the surrounding area. They are working on a MAJOR redevelopment project along the Boulevard which will completely transform the area. This doesn't just happen overnight. They chose the very capable and respected Staubach company to manage the search for a developer which can come in a do a quality job on a large scale. I firmly believe that we will all be extremely pleased with the end result along that corridor and that it's unfortunate for folks like the Braves and Poseidon (which should have stayed in Chesterfield in the first place) who will be missing out on it. We're creating a sense of place where before there was nothing but gritty industry and an ugly concrete stadium surrounded by surface lots.

I have yet to see anyone mention the fact that the stadium is not even owned by Richmond City, but by RMA, a coperative of Richmond, Henrico, and Chesterfield.

I was just about to mention that...has anyone read Mayorgov Wilder's latest letter to the city? If not I'll post it, it covers the recent events regarding the Braves and why

I was just about to mention that...has anyone read Mayorgov Wilder's latest letter to the city? If not I'll post it, it covers the recent events regarding the Braves and why

Oh, and that letter will be completely objective and expose all of the facts. Yeah, right! All it will do is make Mayor Wilder look like the good guy in all this.

Oh, and that letter will be completely objective and expose all of the facts. Yeah, right! All it will do is make Mayor Wilder look like the good guy in all this.

Did not mean to pass it off as 100% factual, but it is an interesting take and something that should be considered. Taken at "face value", but lets be honest, the news reported is often void of all the facts why should this be treated any different?

Eric, stop hating the mayor. It's not like you can trust the Braves either or the media.

I'd just be willing to bet you that there is more to this than what you see and hear in the media and what you read from the Mayor's letter. Mark my words...one day the Mayor will be exposed. Sorry Cadeho, I'm not "hating" just trying to expose the truth that the Mayor and the media doesn't want you to know.