Richmond Sports

eandslee

Looks like a local businessmen by the name of bostick is looking to buy a baseball team and move it to Richmond. His dad helped build parker field 55 years ago. here is the story from wtvr.com.

http://www.wtvr.com/global/story.asp?s=8115371

He was also instrumental with Richmond Baseball Initiative (RBI) efforts to build a ballpark in Shockoe Bottom.

This may end up being one of those deals where if we really want AAA baseball in Richmond, we may have to live with a ballpark in the bottom.

I guess I could deal with it.

I don't want to make wakes, BUT, IMHO, I think the bottom, attendance wise/location/visibility would be the..."coolest" location. There's tons of lots to build garages on, and sure traffic would be iffy after games, but that's how it's like everywhere after ballgames. I think if the proposal were to go up for debates again, we'd have a better chance of getting a park in the bottom. With the mentioned revamping of the MSS shed and the whole master plan hoopla, it would either follow it or give it a boost. Tourism would increase a helluva lot, too. I don't know how many times Ive passed Baltimore on 95, seen Camden Yards and then want to watch a good ballgame.

Manchester riverfront. Facing the city. Shockoe Bottom's reserved.

It would be very cool to have a ballpark in Manchester opening up to the Richmond skyline. I don't know where along the river, or how much land would be needed, but it would be nice.

Would the spot where the old Southern States silos site be an option? It doesn't appear like enough land though, but I'm not a good judge of space.

I would guess that the folks with RBI have already purchased a lot of land in Shockoe Bottom in preparation for this ballpark. The scenario played out well for them. At this point, I would not object as much as I did initially, against a stadium in Shockoe Bottom. If these guys think they can make a 'go' of it, and it is on their nickel, not the taxpayer, AND if taxpayers do not have to reimburse any damages due to floods as we already know that the wall isn't the cure-all, then I say, "what the hell. Go for it."

I would guess that the folks with RBI have already purchased a lot of land in Shockoe Bottom in preparation for this ballpark. The scenario played out well for them. At this point, I would not object as much as I did initially, against a stadium in Shockoe Bottom. If these guys think they can make a 'go' of it, and it is on their nickel, not the taxpayer, AND if taxpayers do not have to reimburse any damages due to floods as we already know that the wall isn't the cure-all, then I say, "what the hell. Go for it."

*Gasp* :o

Seconded.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent news today......

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-...04-24-0254.html

I am glad that he is looking to stay for a while. Create your own dynasty!!

I am happy to hear that Grant is staying put. I am sure a big name school could have taken him, but his heart seems to be in VCU.

Another tid-bid relative to the Diamond and N. Boulevard redevelopment from inrich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...04-24-0190.html

I am happy to hear that Grant is staying put. I am sure a big name school could have taken him, but his heart seems to be in VCU.

Another tid-bid relative to the Diamond and N. Boulevard redevelopment from inrich:

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...04-24-0190.html

Two other names on that list make me raise my eyebrows... Douglas Development Group and Timmons Group. I think I have a pretty good idea who is coming to Timmons for their design work, and I can also guess as to why Timmons gets mentioned instead of them.

I'd say Manchester is better suited to a re-development project than this area of Boulevard is... but that is just me.

On a site note, so of the proposed designs I have seen have not included parking decks, but rather large swaths of surface parking - meaning I will be attending City Council meetings for a while banging down doors telling people to build parking decks and incorporate mixed use projects... (like it is really that hard of a concept to accept!!!)))

• 2 weeks later...

Attendance at Braves games at the Diamond is dismal. Most games have averaged less than 2,500 spectators (the record for the season thus far is about 5,000.)

If they had stopped bickering and built a ball park in the Bottom a couple of years ago, I bet a quarter the triple A Braves would be averaging 8,000+ as well as attracting game-goers to the Shockoe Bottom retail/restaurant scene.

Attendance at Braves games at the Diamond is dismal. Most games have averaged less than 2,500 spectators (the record for the season thus far is about 5,000.)

If they had stopped bickering and built a ball park in the Bottom a couple of years ago, I bet a quarter the triple A Braves would be averaging 8,000+ as well as attracting game-goers to the Shockoe Bottom retail/restaurant scene.

Couldn't agree with you more!! Burt, I'm glad you're back.

Edited by JSI

Burt,

The Bottom was a good idea... the team assembled to make it happen WAS NOT. Wilder was right in not moving forward with them as they panned out to be not much better than a scam. If the financials made sense, it would've happened. If another proposal was presented with legit partners, it would've happened.

Burt,

The Bottom was a good idea... the team assembled to make it happen WAS NOT. Wilder was right in not moving forward with them as they panned out to be not much better than a scam. If the financials made sense, it would've happened. If another proposal was presented with legit partners, it would've happened.

Coupe, I'm not referring to the assembled team to which you refer. There was plain and simple support for a ball park in the Bottom without all the bells and whistles. It could and should have been explored thoroughly by the RMA and other entities and not dismissed out of hand. Probably Atlanta would have offered significantly more financial support than they did for the Diamond.

Wilder, whose appointed committee took forever and delivered nothing, certainly was NOT right to have proposed the Gas Works, thus delaying action to the point of losing a triple A team for the city.

I drive by there every night and last night, I swear, it looked like they may have had a few hundred people. That's it. I don't think I have seen over a couple of thousand yet this year. I don't know where these reported attendance figures are coming from but I believe they are pumping the numbers up to reflect tickets sold. That number doesn't reflect how dismal the stands look as you drive by.

I have a suspicion as to why it is the way it is. It can't be because they suck as they have won 5 of their last 6 games. It can't be for lack of talent as the Braves have had some star pitchers come down for rehab and Timmons continues to be the new Charlie Hustle.

The braves will get very little support from Richmond area residents after announcing their departure. I suspect the die-hard regulars aren't going because they feel like they have been abandoned. Kind of like during a divorce when the friends of the splitting couple, stay away from both until the smoke clears. Personally, I won't take my family to any games this year because I feel betrayed. I have been going to R-Braves games since I was a small kid growing up in the fan. For the team to just up and split to Georgia was a bullcrap move as far as I am concerned and I am happy to see that the seats are empty this year, as other regulars obviously feel the same way.

As for the shockoe bottom stadium, I don't believe the funding was ever in place. There was very little public disclosure of funds as I recall. If they had started building this stadium in the bottom and the financing didn't happen, the city council and administration that was in place at the time, would have been an easy mark. Sir spend-a-lot Kaine and Rudy "fathead" McCollum would have made sure that city taxpayers would fill the bill. The idea of a stadium in the bottom isn't dead yet. It may still come to life only the Braves won't be the tenants. I hope they enjoy their new home in Gwinett.

I imagine the attendance numbers could include season ticket holders as well... Personally, I have no desire to see the Gwinnett Braves play another game. The city should try to plan a major fireworks display on the river to compete with the Diamond. I grew up being an A-Braves fan due to the Richmond affiliation. Now, I find myself looking north to the Nats...

I can't seem to recall, and I'm a bit lazy to look back, but was the plan for funding the stadium in the bottom ever released to the public? I saw that wrldcoupe4 said that it didn't make sense... In all honesty I can't blame Richmond for not backing the Braves this year. I would've done the same thing.

I can't seem to recall, and I'm a bit lazy to look back, but was the plan for funding the stadium in the bottom ever released to the public? I saw that wrldcoupe4 said that it didn't make sense... In all honesty I can't blame Richmond for not backing the Braves this year. I would've done the same thing.

Well, dBull, the blame was NOT all with the Braves -- far from it!!! And yes, there have been renderings of a Bottom park with all sorts of proposed development around it as well as renderings of a stadium without all the neighborhood accoutrements. Funding, had it been approved, would have come from the City, Henrecko, Chesterfield and Hanover counties as well as from the Braves and maybe other sources.

And let us not forget the evening when a chunk of concrete fell from the overhang at The Diamond. It didn't hit anyone, but a couple of people here could tell you that it well might have cocnked a few on the noggin had not Lady Luck intervened. I contend that it had a psychological effect on game-goers. It was about the time that attendance began a serious decline (save for the two annual sell-outs for July 4th/5th firework displays.) And all the contention about where or if a new stadium would be located added to public disinterest. Baseball in Richmond may never recover, IMO...certainly not at triple A level.

Well, dBull, the blame was NOT all with the Braves -- far from it!!! And yes, there have been renderings of a Bottom park with all sorts of proposed development around it as well as renderings of a stadium without all the neighborhood accoutrements. Funding, had it been approved, would have come from the City, Henrecko, Chesterfield and Hanover counties as well as from the Braves and maybe other sources.

And let us not forget the evening when a chunk of concrete fell from the overhang at The Diamond. It didn't hit anyone, but a couple of people here could tell you that it well might have cocnked a few on the noggin had not Lady Luck intervened. I contend that it had a psychological effect on game-goers. It was about the time that attendance began a serious decline (save for the two annual sell-outs for July 4th/5th firework displays.) And all the contention about where or if a new stadium would be located added to public disinterest. Baseball in Richmond may never recover, IMO...certainly not at triple A level.

I share your opinion on the public's disinterest with baseball in Richmond. I feel it would take a MAJOR investment in time and effort to get fans to attend AAA baseball IF another team were to relocate here. As for AA or A league baseball, I would have to say, "fahget about it". Talk about your lead balloons.

I do remember the night the concrete fell. I was there, but sitting further down the first base line seats. We even joked about the Braves having a "Braves hard hat night" where the first 1000 fans would get a complimentary Braves hardhat. Structural engineers inspected the remaining concrete overhangs and the place was determined to be safe. The damaged concrete arch was repaired quickly. I don't think that the concrete falling had much to do with the attendance decline.

I do feel that the Braves lack of advertising has everything to do with low attendance numbers. Also, the parking pricing is ridiculous! I know that I have said this before and everyone retorts that one shouldn't complain about paying for parking, but screw that. If I am going to drop 40 bucks on a minor league game, I don't want to get ganked for 5 bucks to park. The money made by parking proceeds barely covers the paychecks for those working in the lots, taking the money. That's stupid. Why not just open the damn lots and let everyone park? It's not like they are losing out on any money that way.

As for the funding for the ballpark in the bottom, well, I agree, it was INTENDED that the counties and city would fund this with private monies as well as the Braves kicking-in some cash. What my psychic hat tells me though, is that the counties would have curbed-back their involvement, the private money would not be as much as anticipated, and the city leaders with no spine at the time, would have just forked-over the funds. What the hell, it's only money. You know the way it was, there was never a conservative fiber in any of them. Just pass the check to the taxpayer.

The Braves organization cannot blame their leaving on Wilder. No way. The deal between the Braves and Gwinnett didn't just materialize overnight. These two have been at the negotiating table for quite a while. And while they were telling us that they wanted to stay here and play in a new stadium, they were down in Gwinnett looking for their field of dreams. Well, now they have it. Good luck.

IF we do land another AAA team, I will predict that when the Gwinnett Braves come up to play, the stands will be packed with fans who will boo and heckle the crap out of the Braves. I really do look forward to that day.

I don't fault the Braves completely. It was a failure by all parties to come up with some agreement whether it was building the stadium downtown or elsewhere. The biggest problem with metro Richmond, and I'm sure it's been pointed out here before, is lack of regional cooperation with the city and surrounding counties. It was like that for the 15 or so years I lived there and I'm sure it hasn't changed. In the end I think a ballpark in the bottom would've been the best b/c it would've spurred further development that could've benefitted everyone in metro Richmond. Plenty of other cities have done it with success. My current home, Charlotte, is also working on doing the same--if we can ever stop a certain pesky attorney who's holding up construction with his frivilous lawsuits. Hopefully baseball doesn't suffer the way hockey did in Richmond. The original Renegades were the best gig in town back in the day--my buddies from DC would even drive down to catch a few games.

I don't fault the Braves completely. It was a failure by all parties to come up with some agreement whether it was building the stadium downtown or elsewhere. The biggest problem with metro Richmond, and I'm sure it's been pointed out here before, is lack of regional cooperation with the city and surrounding counties. It was like that for the 15 or so years I lived there and I'm sure it hasn't changed. In the end I think a ballpark in the bottom would've been the best b/c it would've spurred further development that could've benefitted everyone in metro Richmond. Plenty of other cities have done it with success. My current home, Charlotte, is also working on doing the same--if we can ever stop a certain pesky attorney who's holding up construction with his frivilous lawsuits. Hopefully baseball doesn't suffer the way hockey did in Richmond. The original Renegades were the best gig in town back in the day--my buddies from DC would even drive down to catch a few games.

The Richmond Robins (AHL) far outdrew the Renegades or any other hocky team that has played the Coliseum but I'm the only one old enough to remember them (1970s.)

Don't believe for a minute that Wilder didn't drop the ball on the Braves debacle. Gwinnett, while possibly a considered site for a minor affiliate since Atlanta went Major League, serious negotiations didn't take place until Richmond dilly-dallied beyond anyone's patience. And then, Wilder announces a site across Robin Hood Road from The Diamond without even consulting Atlanta.

The man has accomplished quite a bit for Richmond since becoming mayor, but he's got an ego and matching arrogance that have alieanated many.

You guys in Charlotte will be extremely lucky to land Rodney Monroe as your new Police Chief.

The Richmond Robins (AHL) far outdrew the Renegades or any other hocky team that has played the Coliseum but I'm the only one old enough to remember them (1970s.)

Don't believe for a minute that Wilder didn't drop the ball on the Braves debacle. Gwinnett, while possibly a considered site for a minor affiliate since Atlanta went Major League, serious negotiations didn't take place until Richmond dilly-dallied beyond anyone's patience. And then, Wilder announces a site across Robin Hood Road from The Diamond without even consulting Atlanta.

The man has accomplished quite a bit for Richmond since becoming mayor, but he's got an ego and matching arrogance that have alieanated many.

You guys in Charlotte will be extremely lucky to land Rodney Monroe as your new Police Chief.

Ahh yes, Burt.... I can't say I was there for the days of the Robins. You must be an old-school Richmonder :)

The whole Braves situation makes me think that you had two parties (Wilder and Braves) with two different agendas. Maybe there just wasn't a way to have the two work together. Who knows. If our local pest of a lawyer has his way (which is doubtful), no AAA stadium will be built in uptown Charlotte and the Knights could head up your way.

I would definitely welcome Monroe here. From everything I've read, he seems to get great results in a short time. Part of me hates to see him leave Richmond (mostly b/c I still have friends with families there). But the other part wants him here b/c we need a change. I'm hoping to attend a public forum next week where he'll be answering some questions from local folks.

If I recall correctly, a majority of the proposed financing for the ballpark would have been through the formation of a CDA and then TIF (Tax Increment Financing). I thought it was a brilliant idea at the time. The Braves were willing to shoulder the risk of the TIF if enough new taxes weren't generated. But it got bogged down in typical indecision that our city is famous for. I'm all for analyzing all options and making a sound decision, but sometimes you have to take a chance and say let's go for it. Too late now...

The CDA/TIF were supposedly funding a number in excess of $250 million. I never recall the Braves saying they would cover the difference should that occur. The financing was imaginative at best and in general pretty sketchy. One can be a big proponent of the Shockoe concept without being a fan of the proposal brought forth by the Braves and their development partner, Global. If Global had such a solid plan that was so profoundly easy on the city, why did a total of zero of their proposals ever happen (in Richmond, DC and elsewhere) and why are the partners all sewing one another in court? Wilder was right to question that specific proposal. Should a more realistic proposal have come along, I think we could've played ball in the Bottom.

And a little clarification on the location of the proposed new stadium on the Boulevard. I read the RFQ and distinctly remember language saying it was simply a suggestion to help in maximizing utilization of the available land for ancillary commercial development. The RFQ did not stipulate that a new ballpark was required to sit north of a rerouted Robin Hood Road.

"Who is responsible for the liability of the bonds?" area business owner Terry Stroud wanted to know.

"That is our liability," said Baldwin, who then stipulated that the bonds would be issued at a fixed rate of 6 percent on a 20 to 25 year-term.

Above quote from a Richmond.com article.

And this article made it all look pretty promising - Heavy Hitters

Here Global says they are responsible for backing the bonds and they also had a commitment from an investment bank. They did do a development in DC, so it isn't entirely accurate that "zero" of their proposals have happened. Regardless, it is a moot point now.