Richmond Sports

eandslee

Well im not exactly sure if they would change there name or not but since they wont no longer be near a larger body of water my guess is that they will change there name the Baysox since Richmond is no where near a bay. But I can see them changing there name since like when the Expos in Montreal moved to Washington DC and were then called the Nationals instead of the Expos. But one thing I would love to see is if we can bring back the old name the Richmond Virginians which used to be a long time ago the Triple A team for the Yankees here in Richmond even though im not big on the Yanks or the American League as much. I guess you could say I like the National League more than the AL. I dont know if Burt was around Richmond or not when the Richmond Virginians were here but he could probably remember and know more about them then I do since it was before my time. But I went into a Shop the other day and they had a book that was called Baseball in Richmond and showed a very rich history baseball here in Richmond. Believe it or not but Richmond has a very rich history when it comes to Baseball with the names that have gone through this town from the past. I wanted to buy it but didnt have the money and it also showed the very first few stadiums that were here in Richmond and it showed the inside and the outside of it. It was a very cool book and showed stuff I had no idea about. It was also published by a local author.

What about Blue Sox?

I'd like to steal from James River and have the Richmond Rapids.

The Richmond Short Pumps... I think we covered that before right Burt?

Richmond Patriots? Richmond Colonials? Richmond Generals? Richmond Warriors? Richmond Monuments? Richmond Capitals?

I thought we had settled on The Purple Martins...especially if the team is an Oriole affiliate and plays in a Shockoe Bottom ballpark. :rofl: No need for "Richmond" to be in front of the name. You rarely hear the Orioles preceded by "Baltimore."

Yes, Joey. I was at Parker Field (now The Diamond) among 16,000 fans (many of them standees) for an exhibition game between the NY Yankees and their new triple-A farm team, The Richmond Virginians. And guess what? The Virginians won!! I don't remember the year, but am sure it was in the 1950's.

Before the Yankees came to town, the local team was called The Colts (single or double A?) and played at Moore's Field in Scotts Addition. Prior to that, The Colts played at Tate Field on Mayo Island. And yes, old Burt remembers them all.

Now, what I DON'T remember is when Richmond had a short term fling in a major league back about 1888.

Wow Burt im really glad to hear that from someone like you who knows so much about Richmond past. I even remember pictures now from that book (Baseball in Richmond) of the colts and the virginians and I really wish we could have one of those names back cause I really wish I lived that long ago to see what old teams were like here in Richmond.

Edited by Downtowner

Yes I forgot about the Purple Martins.

Pigeons have been poorly represented throughout the course of sports and mascots. Pigeons are a very popular bird yet are not in the sporting world today. We need to step outside of the box and recognize the Pigeon.

The Richomond Pigeons ~ or, just ~ The Pigeons!

Why shouldn't the flying rats be a good mascot? We have Spiders. When I lived in Oregon back in 1989, and U of R made it into the final 4, my friends always found it amusing that the University of Richmond had picked a creepy insect as their mascot. Think about it, a Spider.

Sure, the Purple Martins are popular, today. But what about tomorrow? Pigeons are timeless! When the clique-ish crowd stops gawking at the Purple Martins, the Pigeons will still be there, poorly represented and unrecognized. Such is the life of a Pigeon.

Edited by D_C

Pigeons have been poorly represented throughout the course of sports and mascots. Pigeons are a very popular bird yet are not in the sporting world today. We need to step outside of the box and recognize the Pigeon.

The Richomond Pigeons ~ or, just ~ The Pigeons!

Why shouldn't the flying rats be a good mascot? We have Spiders. When I lived in Oregon back in 1989, and U of R made it into the final 4, my friends always found it amusing that the University of Richmond had picked a creepy insect as their mascot. Think about it, a Spider.

Sure, the Purple Martins are popular, today. But what about tomorrow? Pigeons are timeless! When the clique-ish crowd stops gawking at the Purple Martins, the Pigeons will still be there, poorly represented and unrecognized. Such is the life of a Pigeon.

:rofl::thumbsup:

Very sad indeed. Wish I could of gone but am working this weekend :(. But at least from what I hear we are getting very very close for AAA Baseball and Minor League baseball to release the Richmond territory. Once that is done we will be able to find our replacement. Also from what I have heard is that when the new team agrees to play in Richmond a firm plan has to be in place for a new stadium for that team to come. But the diamond will still have a year or so left with the new team here cause I dont see them finishing a brand new stadium within probably less than a year for the team to play. So what im thinking is that the new team will play at the diamond for at least a year untill the new stadium is completed or who knows maybe they will go from the the diamond to the new ballpark during the middle of the season cause AA teams have a pretty long season but its just a little bit shorter than AAA. The AA playoffs have already started I think from what I was on milb.com. While the AAA playoffs havent began yet.

It sounds like if the local ownership group has its way, we'll be seeing a new Shockoe Bottom proposal soon.

It seems almost destined. Those ugly vacant lots still sit there unused between Grace and Broad and the old Loving's Produce buildings have mostly been demolished. It will take a big proposal like the ballpark to fill that gap.

It seems almost destined. Those ugly vacant lots still sit there unused between Grace and Broad and the old Loving's Produce buildings have mostly been demolished. It will take a big proposal like the ballpark to fill that gap.

Or an amusement park.

As for the final games at the Diamond, I would like to go and hurl my R-Braves butt-cushion onto the field like a giant frisbee. Although I live a few blocks from the Diamond, I haven't been since they announced they were leaving, and I don't see myself breaking the boycott now. Funny. I have actually seen television advertising these last few days, in an attempt to bring folks into these last games. What a great idea!!! Advertising on television to get fans to come!! Why didn't someone think of this like 15 years ago?

Yeah I have no desire to see another braves game again. I felt like sending all of my Braves baseball cards, autographs shirts and everything else and saying you can have these back I dont want them since you did this to us.

Hahaha. If you get Doug Wilder to autograph those cards, Joey, you'll probably make a fortune on e-bay. :lol:

I have been a proponent of a Shockoe Bottom park since the idea was first floated. I would also get season tickets if there were a park there.

CommRE, do you know Bryan Bostic who is the possible "angel" for a new Richmond ball club? Judging from press coverage, he is a champion for attracting a team and building a stadium downtown.

What are his credentials and business background?

The Braves are still here? Who knew?

This time if they propose a stadium in Shockoe Bottom and if they do it right, I'd be on board. Imagine a deck surrounded by shops and looked like an old warehouse on the site of the old Lovings warehouse. We do need more family oriented stuff downtown.

Braves Finally Terminate Contract with RMA

With the termination of this agreement with the Braves, the RMA said formal discussions can now begin with a new team, or teams, to replace the loss of the Richmond Braves.

The RMA further expects that in the next several weeks, Minor League Baseball will contact existing baseball team owners, as well as potential team owners, in an effort to recommend a new team, or teams, for relocation and formal discussions.