Richmond Sports

eandslee

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

The University of Richmond football team won big in Chattanooga against Montana last night.

If this is as decisive a win as publicity seems to indicate, maybe the University should reconsider the tiny stsdium they're planning to build on campus.

From today's RTD dot com:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/co...-010709/158755/

I agree about the stadium. It would be nice to build something that can be grand and hold thousands. Perhaps one day we can see events such as the Final Four and NFL Pre-Season games. San Antonio has the Alamo Dome, but only a portion of it is used for basketball so something large could be practical here. (Yes I know, San Antonio has about 1 million more residents than Richmond and a much larger tourism industry which equates to a lot of cha-jing.)

Edited by Shakman

The Washington/Baltimore area is making a play for The Olympics in 2020, I believe. This massive facility might include Richmond in the undertaking.

From today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-212917/161263/

Maybe we can also host some events in and around Belles Island and the James. Let us pray and hope this will all come through.

That would be cool, but usually the river is pretty low in the summer.

...especially these days where it seems like we go 3 days without rain and we're in a drought. I really don't see it necessary to water lawns. To me, that's a lot of wasted water. But I don't think the water level would be too low.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some info that was just released yesterday on the future of baseball in Richmond from

ballparkdigest.com

http://ballparkdigest.com/news/index.html?article_id=825

Did you notice in the story that the Atlantic League may play "some" games at The Diamond this summer?

And Ballparkdigest seems to hold out some hope for a transfer to Richmond of the AAA Charlotte Knights.

On another subject, how are you doing after surgery, Joey? Do you still notice improvement?

Doing fantastic burt I got the packing taken out of my ear today and I am can hear a whole lot better then before when they put the packing in my ear after surgery. I have to go back on the 30th of January to see if I can get fully cleared and finally do anything I want. I can drive and go places now but I have to have a cotton ball in my ear. I found out they replaced one of my ear bones from surgery and put in place a piece of titanium metal as part of my ear bone. But I am doing much better now. Glad you asked. But my thoughts on this is that it will be great to see the independent league play games at the diamond this year. Too bad I wont get to see top draft picks like Tanner Scheppers and Aaron Crow who failed to sign contracts in the 2008 MLB Draft play in the Independent league since they are part of the American Association Independent League and we will probably see the Atlantic league of the Independent league. But I saw they are making us think that our new team is the connecticut defenders and if they are there is no way I am gonna be part of a San Francisco Giants franchise if they are still affiliated with them then. I hate everything about the Giants cough cough Barry Bonds. At this point I am still an Atlanta Braves fan mostly because its just too hard to root for another team who has been part of my whole life up till now and I just cant switch teams and be a fair weather fan.

Edited by Downtowner

Wow! Your ear surgery was more complicated than you had told us. The titanium implant was pretty major. Really glad it's over for you, but I know how much you enjoyed that "deep" sleep during the operation. I've experienced it, too.

What do you think about the Charlotte Knight possibility?

While I would love to see the Knights move to richmond I am not very confident about them moving from somewhere like charlotte just because from hearing them mentioned from time to time it doest seem like they are putting a whole lot of thought into bringing the Knights to Richmond. I just want to hear a more upbeat report on where we stand on getting the charlotte knights.

Edited by Downtowner