Richmond Sports

eandslee

This R-TD story from this afternoon indicates that the investors still must contract with a ball club by March in order to have a team in place.

In other words, the way I read it is that they would be going out on a risky limb.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-163805/191298/

burt -

Hence why the extension. I believe in order to obtain preliminary approval, a baseball team would have to be secured in some form or another.

Edited by Shakman

burt -

Hence why the extension. I believe in order to obtain preliminary approval, a baseball team would have to be secured in some form or another.

Yeah, but what if the investors secure a team and the city then nixes the project? :o

Here is today's updated story from the R-TD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loca...-222726/191778/

Edited by burt

Looks like Richmond will lose its other sports team. Very sad to see no one give a crap about sports in Richmond.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/pr...99556/#comments

Yeah I wonder why that is? As long as I've been here, the younger folks living in the city have tended to spend their money at the bars/restaurants... usually the sports are supported by families in the suburbs but many of them have such a skewed perception of the City that they don't come... hockey has never been my thing but I have been to a few games. We'll have to see what happens. I personally don't feel sports make or break a City. I think the Coliseum suffers some of the same ills that the Diamond does... there's little synergy with surrounding entertainment.

The possible loss of The Renegades would be the end of pro, or semi pro, spectator sports in Richmond. (Haven't The Kickers been reduced to amateur status in soccer, or are they still considered semi-pro?).

ric75 is right, IMO. Synergy is necessary to support sports. Baseball in The Bottom would benefit the game as well as existing and future development there. The Coliseum until very recently sat isolated. But The National, restaurants and bars in and around The Hilton Garden Inn as well as reopening of The Carpenter Theatre will bring life to the area. And who knows? The Blues Armory and 6th Street Food Court might see some reinvention. If the hockey team can hang on, they may see a resurgence of interest.

As far as families fearing the trek downtown, The Ringling Circus has been playing the Coliseum annualy since the building opened a generation ago and always draws thousands upon thousands of family spectators. It opens a 5-day run beginning Feb. 18th.

Is there going to be a Times Dispatch sponsored basketball tournament at the Coliseum in March as in past years? I can't find any mention of it while scanning the online sports pages.

If you're referring to the CAA men's tournament, then yes... That's the weekend of March 6th. I think the tournament is set to be in Richmond through next year.

I think the CAA tourny is locked into the Richmond Coliseum through 2012... and Burt - do you mean the High School basketball tournament?

I'm referring to the big televised games with teams like VCU and GMU -- The CAA Tourny.

If the TD is sponsoring it, you'd think they'd publicize it a bit. Damned if I've seen anything -- although admittedly I don't spend a lot of time on the sports pages.

I have noticed however that The Siegel Center is drawing better this season than ever. Too bad they didn't have the foresight, money and space to build a larger arena. "Build small" is the Richmond mantra reflecting the city's inferiority complex. :shades:

I'm referring to the big televised games with teams like VCU and GMU -- The CAA Tourny.

If the TD is sponsoring it, you'd think they'd publicize it a bit. Damned if I've seen anything -- although admittedly I don't spend a lot of time on the sports pages.

I have noticed however that The Siegel Center is drawing better this season than ever. Too bad they didn't have the foresight, money and space to build a larger arena. "Build small" is the Richmond mantra reflecting the city's inferiority complex. :shades:

I've seen plenty of advertising for the CAA Tourny... particularly commercials on during televised CAA games. The TD may be a sponsor and if so... coverage will ramp up pretty heavily in the week or two leading up to the event.

For college basketball, a smaller but packed house is wayyyyyy better than a larger one that isn't often full... it's one reason VCU wanted to get away from the Coliseum.

The Siegel Center is actually a pretty nice venue, especially for college bball. I went to a few games there after it opened. The atmosphere there is MUCH better than the Coliseum ever was. The coliseum just always seemed dark and gloomy to me. I'd imagine if they needed to, they could add some more seats to the Siegel Center. Like everyone said, 7,000+ people in a full venue is much more loud and intimidating to the opponent than the same amount in a 12,000 seat venue.