Richmond Sports

eandslee

The Siegel Center is actually a pretty nice venue, especially for college bball. I went to a few games there after it opened. The atmosphere there is MUCH better than the Coliseum ever was. The coliseum just always seemed dark and gloomy to me. I'd imagine if they needed to, they could add some more seats to the Siegel Center. Like everyone said, 7,000+ people in a full venue is much more loud and intimidating to the opponent than the same amount in a 12,000 seat venue.

Siegel doesn't come off so well on TV. Looks like the small town facility it is. I also understand from critics that seating is quite uncomfortable.

On some occasions people have been turned away from events, including but not limited to, bball.

Is there anything wrong with aspiring to higher classification? A midtown facility such as Siegel with 32,000+ people (and growing) swarming around it almost daily should accommodate more spectators. The Ted Constant on ODU Campus has 1,000 more seats. GMU's indoor stadium, I believe, is slightly larger. UR's Robins Center seats sligthly less than 10,000, but the small university's enrollment of less than 3,000 and its modest sports program -- not to mention its inaccessibility -- combine to limit its usefullness.

Fearless UVA/Charlottesville has the kind of vision that so often is lacking in Richmond. When not expecting large turn-outs the John Paul Jones can close off sections of the arena but is large enough (18,000+) to attract top sports, concerts and other events.

Even with a new downtown Richmond arena exceeding 18,000 capacity, Siegel should expand, IMO.

Edited by burt

Siegel doesn't come off so well on TV. Looks like the small town facility it is. I also understand from critics that seating is quite uncomfortable.

On some occasions people have been turned away from events, including but not limited to, bball.

Is there anything wrong with aspiring to higher classification? A midtown facility such as Siegel with 32,000+ people (and growing) swarming around it almost daily should accommodate more spectators. The Ted Constant on ODU Campus has 1,000 more seats. GMU's indoor stadium, I believe, is slightly larger. UR's Robins Center seats sligthly less than 10,000, but the small university's enrollment of less than 3,000 and its modest sports program -- not to mention its inaccessibility -- combine to limit its usefullness.

Fearless UVA/Charlottesville has the kind of vision that so often is lacking in Richmond. When not expecting large turn-outs the John Paul Jones can close off sections of the arena but is large enough (18,000+) to attract top sports, concerts and other events.

Even with a new downtown Richmond arena exceeding 18,000 capacity, Siegel should expand, IMO.

There are plenty of big time bball programs, much bigger than VCU, that have small facilities. Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium seats maybe 9,000. I think VA Tech's facility seats ~10,000. Up until JPJ Arena was built, UVA played in small venue. But these are also teams that play in the ACC where you have teams like Carolina, Duke and Maryland that are consistent top 25 teams and have national championships. Once VCU gets to a point where are they playing at a higher level, they can probably justify a bigger arena to the board of trustees, donors and others that would foot the bill. Perhaps they can even work with the city of Richmond on a replacement for the outdated Coliseurm some day.

Personally, I would like to see a new coliseum developed on a revamped Boulevard and the old site be used to for the biotech park. I think the Siegel Center is a perfect size and has been a great asset to the Rams' program. Arenas like the Robins Center and William and Mary Hall were built before ESPN and they used to attract much larger crowds and sell out occasionally. Now they are lucky to have 4,000 spectators. UR's new football stadium will be smaller than their basketball arena. Times have changed and VCU made the right call imo.

Too bad they didn't have the foresight, money and space to build a larger arena. "Build small" is the Richmond mantra reflecting the city's inferiority complex. :shades:

burt,

Have to disagree with you on this specific point (generally, yes, Richmond builds "small"), Howver, the Siegel center is perfect for VCU.

There are many big time prgrams that play in arenas that are only slightly bigger than the siegel (UVA played in an 8,000 cap. arena for 40 years and they are in the ACC).

The Siegel center attracts large and raucous crowds that are rare for this level of basketball. Even UR, which plays in a more more marketable conference, doesn;t have half the atmosphere that VCU does. VCU has even beun to appear on some national broadcasts in recent years and the home atmosphere can be a big selling point. It is unrealistic to expect VCU to sellout more than 10,000 seats for all home games unless something dramatic happens (ie, they join Conf. USA or the A-10), and that is not likely.

burt, i posted my above post before i saw this. All I can say is you are out of your league in the sports facility dept.....ha!

You are trying to equate veue capacity numbers with no knowledge of the levels andtraditon involved in this. The ACC is on a level that is just not comparable to VCU, or UR. The ACC is almost as big as a professional sports league, while the CAA is barely on the radar.

VCU is big, but it does nothave the tradition or culture that would immediately support huge venues and massive athletic ventures. Perhaps, someday they can grow it, but for now it is what it is.

Hahaha. You're right, deez. I am totally out of my league when it comes to sports. But I CAN read, and thus contend that Siegel should have at least comparable seating to other top CAA arenas...even if that difference is a mere 1,000 seats. Anyway, I was just kvetching and am fully aware and appreciative that VCU has what it has. But, are universities frozen into certain leagues? Might they not move up a notch after several years of outstanding play IF they have the proper-sized arena together with the bucks to join the big boys? A number of people are pushing VCU into football. Maybe UR would let them share their new 8,700-seat stadium. ;)

On the other hand, when I speak of a giant-sized indoor stadium for Richmond, it would be as a replacement for The Richmond Coliseum and serve in addition to the various University facilities. The city might then be considered for major tournaments, top concert attractions, etc.

I'm referring to the big televised games with teams like VCU and GMU -- The CAA Tourny.

If the TD is sponsoring it, you'd think they'd publicize it a bit. Damned if I've seen anything -- although admittedly I don't spend a lot of time on the sports pages.

Late last week we received a free copy of the paper at our place (as did all of our neighbors and it seemed anyone else without a subscription received one also) wrapped in promotional info for the CAA tourny.

Good grief. We are getting our tails kicked from all different directions. (i.e. corporate image, loss of professional teams)

I am going to stop being depressed over all of this bad news. I am going to look forward towards a better Richmond, as long as we maintain our resolve.