Richmond Sports

eandslee

I think VCU will get a seed in the 10-12 range... Look for them to pull a few upsets and hit the sweet 16! Anthony Grant will become a hot commodity in the coaching ranks come April.

I was thinking more in the lines of a 7th or 8th seed. Of course this may depend on what bracket VCU will belong to.

I am still happy that VCU beat Duke in the first round a few years ago.

Edited by Shakman

I was thinking more in the lines of a 7th or 8th seed. Of course this may depend on what bracket VCU will belong to.

I am still happy that VCU beat Duke in the first round a few years ago.

If VCU gets a 7th seed, there's something not right with the NCAA committee. They needed to win some of those bracketbusters to break the top 10 seeds and have no more than 5 or 6 losses. I haven't seen anyone predicting them to get higher than a 12 seed. That's not say they can't hang with anyone, it's just the ACC, Big East, Big 12, etc can usually bring 7 or 8 teams to the tourney and they take a lot of those higher spots. Personally, I'd love to see them pull a George Mason and knock off Carolina :)

If VCU gets a 7th seed, there's something not right with the NCAA committee. They needed to win some of those bracketbusters to break the top 10 seeds and have no more than 5 or 6 losses. I haven't seen anyone predicting them to get higher than a 12 seed. That's not say they can't hang with anyone, it's just the ACC, Big East, Big 12, etc can usually bring 7 or 8 teams to the tourney and they take a lot of those higher spots. Personally, I'd love to see them pull a George Mason and knock off Carolina :)

Well I stand corrected. VCU is an 11 seed playing UCLA in the first round.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned already but Anthony Grant is headed to Alabama to be their next head coach. Interesting to see who VCU will target next. My guess is they will take the same approach they did with Grant in getting an assistant from a top-tier program. Possibly someone from former Rams coach Jeff Capel's staff at Oklahoma? I'd be willing to bet they'll have someone pretty quick...

Edited by dbull75

Not only has that not been mentioned but Richmond has also recently lost the Richmond Renegades. Lets face it we need a new arena built here in Richmond because as it looks there is no tickets on sale for anything at the Richmond Coliseum. All there is going on at the Coliseum is Religious conferences and graduations and it looks like they arent serious about booking anything else at the coliseum. I really want a new arena to compete with JPJ arena. I went to Charlottesville back in November and I saw that Richmond needs to act fast on getting a new arena because when I saw JPJ in person it was huge. I also dont want to see an 8,000-10,000 seat arena and something more like 15,000 to 20,000 to attract bigger events and offer state or the art amenities to coliseum guests and visitors.

Edited by Downtowner

How will a new arena be paid for?

Everyone talks about how we need something like JPJ, but no one talks about how JPJ was built or how we could build one here...

"The John Paul Jones Arena is the first facility in the country built by a public university almost entirely from private funds."

http://www.johnpauljonesarena.com/about.asp

I dont know how it would be paid here because no one is willing to step up and fund it privately. No one is rich enough here in Richmond to fully fund something privately. VCU would surely not commit to it. I know the Sportsbackers wouldn't either. I dont know of many people who would fund anything here privately. But based on the events at the coliseum it looks like nothing will be on its way there anytime soon.

It looks like VCU isn't wasting any time... a few names are already in the mix: Russell Springmann (from Texas) and current Auburn coach Jeff Lebo. IMO Springmann might be the guy. He's a good recruiter for one (see DJ Augustine and Kevin Durant) and has been a real asset to the Texas basketball program since he's been there in 2001 in terms of player development. That's often overlooked as most head coaches get the credit.

With regards to the arena, I think given the current economic client it would be hard for the city to justify it without any private help. Aren't the Ukrops' considered the wealthiest family in the metro area? I've read some things on the new bottom proposal for a baseball stadium. I think a 15k-17k seat arena would be a better fit in that location. First in that the arena would serve more than one purpose, unlike the baseball stadium. There's what? ~70 baseball games a year? If there's a state of the art arena, there's no reason why you can't have 100 events there a year. Every thing from concerts to basketball tourneys to circus and other events. VCU could probably play a few high profile games here too. Maybe Michigan State and UVA would come back (haha). I just think the arena is a much better bang for your buck... Just finding the source to fund it though is the key/problem. Until then, JPJ will continue to attract the premiere events in the state.

Charlottesville also manages to book huge concerts at UVA's football stadium, Scott Stadium. The stadium accommodates about 60,000 people for football games, and will be a stop on U2's 360 tour. The only other U.S. cities to be visited by the tour are Boston, New York, Washington, Atlanta, Tampa, and Los Angeles. A few years ago it hosted the Stones. Pretty impressive for little ol' Cville. I don't think Richmond will ever have a venue of that size . . . unless it were to somehow land a professional football team (or if VCU were to start a football program and grow it to "ACC size"). Maybe in the 22nd century!

• 3 weeks later...

I know that I offend some of you by criticizing the proposed dinkiness of the new U of R football stadium, but this RTD story, in my mind, points out the foolishness of a venue of less than 10,000 seats as well as its location on campus. Attendance is expected to increase next year even at old City Stadium where average attendance has been in excess of 7,000 (capacity about 20,000). When the new field opens in 2010 with a total of 8,700 seats, at least 4,000 of them will be pre-sold, leaving the balance available for visiting teams and same-day sales.

Considering the CAA teams U of R will oppose, perhaps I'm wrong and they've got an over-abundance of seating. But is 8,700 seats planning for the future? Further, I'm amazed that residents in that toney neighborhood haven't blocked the stadium, regardless of its size. They already contend with 9,000-seat Robins Center events.

Old Dominion University in Norfolk has sold 12,500 season tickets for the rejuvenated Foreman Field (19,782 capacity.)

If VCU gets a team, will they take over City Stadium?

(http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URFB21_20090420-221906/261047/

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

I was browsing Ballparkdigest.com today and came across this article. It appears the Boulevard site is not completely out of question for a new stadium. Interestingly enough, Minor League baseball could still approve the move to Richmond after a sale without a new stadium plan. However, that's kind of tricky territory b/c they could also force a move out of Richmond if a viable stadium plan isn't put in place after a set period of time (see a link to that story in the BP Digest story). I'd have to imagine that if this local group is as smart as they seem, they will make sure something is in place for a new stadium prior to buying the team. Last thing they want to do is get a team to Richmond and only have to play stadium politics again. The plot thickens....

Edited by dbull75

• 3 weeks later...

The NBA draft lottery took place last night. I've been looking around at some of the mock drafts and VCU's own Eric Maynor is being projected as a top 15 pick. I have to say, wouldn't mind him being picked by the Bobcats as they need some depth. I watched some of his tournament games and he was something to watch. Will be interesting to see where he lands... MSNBC mock draft

Washington Wizards got screwed big time. We were projected to have the 2nd or 3rd pick at best and then the lottery goes and gives us the 5th pick and really pissed me off big time. I almost threw my xbox 360 threw the TV. I know its sad to be mad at a top 5 pick but to even think that we were supposed to be the 2nd or 3rd pick at best just makes me throw up in my mouth. Was really looking forward to getting Hasheem Thabeet out of Uconn. But Maynor will be great. They were talking about him on ESPN last night during the Lottery. But to me the Lottery is a joke. I say do it old fashioned way with the worst record on top and the best record at the very bottom. Ping Pong balls are a bad way to do it.

Edited by Downtowner

Washington Wizards got screwed big time. We were projected to have the 2nd or 3rd pick at best and then the lottery goes and gives us the 5th pick and really pissed me off big time. I almost threw my xbox 360 threw the TV. I know its sad to be mad at a top 5 pick but to even think that we were supposed to be the 2nd or 3rd pick at best just makes me throw up in my mouth. Was really looking forward to getting Hasheem Thabeet out of Uconn. But Maynor will be great. They were talking about him on ESPN last night during the Lottery. But to me the Lottery is a joke. I say do it old fashioned way with the worst record on top and the best record at the very bottom. Ping Pong balls are a bad way to do it.

Yea, the lottery system can definitely put a damper on the NBA draft. Chicago struck gold last year with Derrick Rose... This year's draft doesn't appear to be as deep as last year.

Famed pitcher, Nolan Ryan, is sniffing around Richmond and may decide that it merits his involvement in bringing a double A ball team to the area. His information is that Richmond is a great baseball town.

You read a lot in the RTD's dreadful "Post Your Comment" section claiming that Richmond is and always has been near the bottom in baseball attendance. Not so. For many years it ranked among the top five and higher in The International League. Frustration in the A-Braves office led to less local promotion. And I contend that the well-publicized crashing down of a large concrete hunk in the stands at The Diamond had a larger psychological effect on fans than most believe.

Here's the Nolan Ryan story from today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/pr...-223224/270138/

I think getting additional investor help from someone like Ryan would bring baseball back to Richmond. I'm seeing that the local Richmond group is having problems getting enough funding to buy the Connecticut team (that's why the deal hasn't closed yet). I also believe having his group back the funding of a new stadium, whether its in the bottom, Blvd or elsewhere is the likely the only way it gets built. He has the pockets to do it and it would draw far less public debate in Richmond since taxpayers wouldn't be backing any bonds. The one thing I do question though is whether he would support the Shockoe deal. I only say this b/c he's an outside investor who wants to build a stadium for the team. He likely won't want to deal with the bottom history politics issue and have to wait for the city to study and debate another 5 years...

Ryan/Sanders Baseball reps will be in town tonight meeting with officials (except Mayor Jones who has a previous committment.)

From today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/pr...-222011/270331/

Well, hopefully none of the dysfunctionals that were at the public meetings to discuss the ballpark are allowed to talk to him, LOL...