Richmond Sports

eandslee

Seems like a great location, would it be visible from I-95?

If they do it right, the majority of the seating should be above the flood wall line-of-sight and in that case you'd definitely see it from 95. It'd be nice if this plan encouraged development of the Southern States Silos, too.

Another story on The Eastern League's plans for Richmond.

From John O'Connor in today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/pr...-221604/278624/

Be sure to click on the highlighted Special Report -- Baseball in Richmond at the top of the story. It gives a clue as to the quality of players that could be expected.

Edited by burt

• 2 weeks later...

It's all but a done deal for the Connecticut Defenders to move to Richmond. Crossing of the T's and dotting of the I's are in progress along with some legal issues that need to be worked out. Some of the improvements to the Diamond have begun (or will soon) to get it in shape for next season. Hopefully this means no more falling concrete blocks. Expect an official announcement on or before August 1st...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The previously announced August 1st deadline for naming an Eastern League double A baseball team for Richmond has come and gone. But this RT-

D story from today indicates that negotiations are on-going.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/p...-214603/285211/

If the Eastern League lets this fall through the cracks after continuously promising a franchise to Richmond... they will lose a ton of credibility. This sounds a whole lot like the original debacle with Bostic several months ago to me... Keeping the fingers crossed though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Defenders might of had a good season this year but next year they are gonna stink it up. Bumgarner and Posey are now at the MLB level, Alderson got traded to the Pirates and now Angel Villalona is a murder suspect.

Joey (a/k/a Downtowner), isn't Posey from Richmond and an old schoolmate of yours? If he is who I think he is, he climbed to MLB pretty quick!

You know a lot about potential players for the Richmond Defenders (although the R-TD is running a contest to find a new name for the team.) Hope you keep us advised.

Edited by burt

Joey (a/k/a Downtowner), isn't Posey from Richmond and an old schoolmate of yours? If he is who I think he is, he climbed to MLB pretty quick!

You know a lot about potential players for the Richmond Defenders (although the R-TD is running a contest to find a new name for the team.) Hope you keep us advised.

I never went to school with Posey. You are probably thinking of the Verlander kid who plays for Detroit. Posey was playing college baseball where my cousin is going for college baseball at Florida State. But I already put in my suggestion for the new team which is the Richmond Falcons. The part of town I live in I have seen alot of big birds fly around lately. I've seen Falcons Hawk and sorts of other birds and for some reason I had just thought of Falcons for some odd reason. If anyone doesn't know this already we already have two new indoor football teams called the Richmond Raiders and the Richmond Revolution. The Revolution will play at the Arthur Ashe Center untill 2011 and then will move to the Sports Quest Facility at 288 and Powhite Parkway. The Raiders will be playing at the Coliseum. They recently had an article in the news paper about John Lugbill who runs the Richmond Sportsbackers and has said if he was able too his top priority as far as Sports Facilities go in Richmond he would build a Brand new Arena for Sports Teams and from what I have heard through people he said he would make it larger than the coliseum to attract larger events.

Hey, Joey. I read that your pal and former Richmonder, Justin Verlander, struck out 11 in seven innings and led the Detroit Tigers to a sweep of the Cleveland Indians. It's was several days ago (9/24), but is still up on the R-TD online sports page.

Here's the story with Verlander's picture in case you missed it:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BBA...-09-24-22-41-12

Edited by burt

Here's the Eastern League's tentative schedule for 2010.

I bet a quarter Metro Richmond is at least twice the size of any other Metro area in The Eastern League. Ball teams from peer cities such as Indianapolis, Louisville, Norfolk, Buffalo and Rochester will no longer travel to the Diamond. It's sort of akin to Richmond losing Circuit City, Qmonda and other Fortune 500 companies.

From today's R-TD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/p...-223007/296393/

But the quality of players will be higher despite moving from AAA to AA. Actual prospects will be in town for full seasons. AAA had become a repository for prospects not quite good enough for MLB or veterans who the big club keeps around if they need a temporary fill-in. We were not going to see another 1994 team with the likes of Chipper Jones, Ryan Klesko, Javy Lopez, etc.

But the quality of players will be higher despite moving from AAA to AA. Actual prospects will be in town for full seasons. AAA had become a repository for prospects not quite good enough for MLB or veterans who the big club keeps around if they need a temporary fill-in. We were not going to see another 1994 team with the likes of Chipper Jones, Ryan Klesko, Javy Lopez, etc.

I don't understand this. If double A is so desirable, why is Richmond the biggest metro in the league?

And hang on to your hats! One of the following may be the name of the new team:

Flatheads

Flying Squirrels

Hambones

Rock Hoppers

Rhinos

Ugh!

Edited by burt

I think the name should have something to do with either the river, tobacco industry, or the capital. Those are the things I think of when I think Richmond...

If any of you Richmond people are hockey fans looking for a cheap night out come down to Norfolk, the Admirals home opener is this Friday. I was talking to the ticketing people in the main office and they said they are putting a deal together for Richmond folks that includes a hotel room. I actually saw a few people wearing Richmond jerseys last season.

I think the name should have something to do with either the river, tobacco industry, or the capital. Those are the things I think of when I think Richmond...

If any of you Richmond people are hockey fans looking for a cheap night out come down to Norfolk, the Admirals home opener is this Friday. I was talking to the ticketing people in the main office and they said they are putting a deal together for Richmond folks that includes a hotel room. I actually saw a few people wearing Richmond jerseys last season.

Congratulations Richmond on your baseball team.. I wish they were in our league though (AAA). I miss watching the Braves play the Tides.

And mikeas I'll be at the Admirals game Friday. I'm excited! I got a buy one get one free. What time do you think I should get there? Will it be a big crowd since it's the home opener?

Congratulations Richmond on your baseball team.. I wish they were in our league though (AAA). I miss watching the Braves play the Tides.

And mikeas I'll be at the Admirals game Friday. I'm excited! I got a buy one get one free. What time do you think I should get there? Will it be a big crowd since it's the home opener?

Braves and Tides were good. You should have seen Richmond vs. Norfolk back in the ECHL hockey days. Brutal, always a sell out. Fans would be fighting in the stands...

Hockey doesn't really pickup until it gets cold outside depending on if the team is a winner. Hampton Roads will not support a loser, never has. The last sell out was 2 seasons ago when the Admirals had a lot of the players that are currently on the Chicago Blackhawks roster. Opening night seems to usually draw about 5000.