Richmond Sports

eandslee

I'd love Rapids, but James River High School already has that name.

Those names suggested stink and how the heck did they beat others???! Just how awful were the others?!

I would think something related to the river would be perfect. Richmond Boulders? Richmond Torrent? Richmond Falls?

Our history... Richmond Monuments? Richmond Historics? Richmond Colonials? Richmond Capitals?

Richmond Batteaumen? Richmond Artillery? Richmond Warriors? Keep the name... Richmond Defenders.

Like it or not, it appears the new baseball boss is determined he wants a team name with a "humorous" turn.

In my long memory, Richmond ball clubs have been known as The Colts, The Virginians and The Braves.

As I suspected, this is all a PR ploy. Now, CNBC has gotten involved.

Here's the latest revised story from today's R-TD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/loc...-222003/297870/

Edited by burt

The Richmond Hush Puppies? Wtf.

I'd never support a team called the Hush Puppies. But what do you expect with AA baseball.. Isn't it horrible how Virginia can't get a professional sports team? Between the two of us (Richmond and Hampton Roads), we should have at least ONE pro team.. Do you guys plan on going to watch the Puppies?

Blame it on DC thats why Virginia doesn't have a Pro Team in the State. I would kill for anywhere in Virginia to get a Pro team. If Jacksonville FL can have NFL Team and Salt Lake City and Sacramento can have NBA Teams why can't just one metro in VA have a pro team. Not only that but for godsakes we rank 12th in population in the country and are the highest ranked state population without any pro teams. I would be a fan of Norfolk getting one. The time Richmond gets one is the day hell freezes.

I'd really like an arena based team (NHL or NBA) to locate in Downtown Norfolk though I'd settle for VA Beach Town Center. Baseball... Not gonna happen. If their was room for expansion I think an NFL team with a stadium about 10-15 miles west of Williamsburg would work very well. Hampton Roads and Richmond were ranked 2 and 3 in the whole country for TV ratings on last years Superbowl.

I'd really like an arena based team (NHL or NBA) to locate in Downtown Norfolk though I'd settle for VA Beach Town Center. Baseball... Not gonna happen. If their was room for expansion I think an NFL team with a stadium about 10-15 miles west of Williamsburg would work very well. Hampton Roads and Richmond were ranked 2 and 3 in the whole country for TV ratings on last years Superbowl.

My mother seems to think that downtown Norfolk will get an NBA team very soon.

She says "if they had it once (Virginia Squires), they will have it again"

NFL would be great, but no stadium west of Williamsburg. That means the million plus residents on the southside of HR would have to travel across the harbor to get there. Nope. If we got an NFL team I say put it in Suffolk.

Winner in the CNBC survey is Hush Puppies.

Looks like these baseball magnets in the Eastern League are promoters first. And their playing with the public will very likely fill a lot of seats.

Here's more on the team-naming foolishness from today's R-TD:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/m...-222603/298108/

I'll be honest.. I actually really, really like the name Hush Puppies! I didn't think I would but it's kinda catching on.

For all (or any) of you awaiting the big announcement, tomorrow will be the day Richmond's minor league team is christened. There is a slideshow of possible logos, although one (Hambones) has been eliminated.

And by the way, if Rhinos is chosen, are they aware that only some rhinoceroses have two horns? :silly:

From today's R-TD front page:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/p...-222405/299218/

Edited by burt

I just learned that one of my good friends from D.C. is a part owner of the Connecticut franchise coming here to Richmond. I remember him investing in that years ago thinking how odd it was to be investing in a minor league baseball team. I have faith that they will do things right and will really work at improving the fan experience.

Why Oh why couldn't it have remained The Defenders? I'm personally embarrassed to bring this story over from today's Richmond dot com, but like it or not, here it is:

http://www2.richmond.com/content/2009/oct/...team-announced/

If it HAS to connect to flying, why not the Purple Martins, or, my favorite, The Richmond Robins. The city's first and only triple A hockey team, a very rough and tumble game, bore A. H. Robins' name throughout its tenure in Richmond.

Edited by burt

Why Oh why couldn't it have remained The Defenders? I'm personally embarrassed to bring this story over from today's Richmond dot com, but like it or not, here it is:

http://www2.richmond.com/content/2009/oct/...team-announced/

If it HAS to connect to flying, why not the Purple Martins, or, my favorite, The Richmond Robins. The city's first and only triple A hockey team, a very rough and tumble game, bore A. H. Robins' name throughout its tenure in Richmond.

Well, I guess it's not Ham Bones at least...

• 2 weeks later...

It seems UR Stadium shrinks by the month. Originally announced as a 10,000-seat facility, it is now nearing completion with a top capacity of 8,700.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...-222604/304763/

Actually Burt the size has always been 8,700 in order to match the current capcaity of the Robins Center. The RC used to be 9,100 but shrunk several years back when the put in the new floor. The size was necessary to get approval from the city and local residents. The community and city did not want to allow it to be any larger than the RC. Personally I think the city really decided to back the community becuase they were still upset that UR didn't opt to but the current stadium and land from them.

I can tell you that there will be more than 8,700 at big games, though paid capacity will still be 8,700. I ahve been told that they will sell 8,700 tickets and that will not include student seating. According to some inside sources the way the announce current capacity at City Stadium is only paid ticket holders. That does not include the ~1000 students who usually attend or any ticekts given away to the community for free. I was told they give away ~5000 for each game and figure about ~2000-2500 of those tieckts attend. Attendence has been right around 8,700 this season but in reality there ahve been about 12,000 specators at each game. Last weeks attendence for the Villanova game was ~11,700 but it was really more like 15,000

This stadium can also be easily expanded. I was told that they used 24 in seats for both the chairback and bleacher seat sections. The ~2000 chairback seat will remian at 24 inches but normal size for bleacher seats is actually only 18 inches. This means that the remaining 6,700 bleacher seats can actually fit 9,000 if reconfigured to 18 inches. Also part of that 6,700 bleachers seats is a section of 1,500 seasonal bleacher seats that will be positioned in the one end zone. If they can get approval for further expansion they can easily add another 1,500 seasonal belacher seats at 24 inchces or 2000 seats at 18 inches.

The size was about getting it approved and the community used to the events being held on campus. Once they get used to it they will see that it is not that big of an impact on the area traffic and noise. i expect that this stadium will have around 12,500 permanent seats in the next few years when all is said and done.