Richmond Sports

eandslee

I read in a sports column today that the Rams don't have very many tall players. That and poor play contributed to the lop-sided loss at ODU yesterday.

Apparently the ODU arena (Ted Constant Convocation Center) seats, at capacity, about a thousand more than VCU's Siegel Center. Yesterday's attendance filled the "Ted" with about 8,450 while a full house in Richmond watching VCU whip GMU drew about 7,550.

I believe the University of Richmond's Robins Center seats about 9,000. The Richmond Coliseum has the second largest capacity for basketball in the state - about 11,500 while the new John Paul Jones arena in Charlottesville can handled more than 16,000.

I may be off slightly on these seating capacities.

Last night in Wilmington -- VCU 78, UNCW 68. Coach Anthony Grant berated his Rams for poor defensive play but, of course, was pleased with the victory.

VCU has only two games to go before the big tournament at the Coliseum - Bradley and James Madison. What is that word? "Bracketbuster? Anyway, I think that's what the game with Bradley is called. :)

Edited by burt

Colonial Downs is in serious negotiations with CBS about televising two races from the New Kent County track this summer. It looks pretty definite, but as they say, until contracts are signed, nothing's for sure.

The televised races would be The Turf Cup on June 16th and The Virginia Derby on July 21st.

Since opening in 1994, the track has never had more than occasional clips shown on National TV. This would be a big promotional boost for Colonial Downs and the Virginia racing industry.

Edited by burt

VCU also plays at Ga State on Feb 24. That is the final regular season game. The Rams defeated Ga State easily in Richmond on Feb 3.

Three more games then the tournament. Lots of basketball left to be played.

Sorry for the goof re: Georgia State, majors. There are indeed three more games.

• 2 weeks later...

16 wins is the most any team in the CAA has had since the league went to an 18 game schedule.

I will be arriving in Richmond Thursday morning for the tournament.

Its going to be some great basketball and big crowds. A very competitive league.

Where are you coming in from, majors2410? Welcome back! If you fly, the new airport terminal will pleasantly suprise you.

Is it true that the Rams are, relatively, very short in height.

I read that this season the Rams have had the highest attendance average (about 5600) since the Sigel Center opened.

Edited by burt

I moved to Las Vegas 2 years ago after living in Richmond for 30 years. I'm the transportation planner for Clark County. I look forward to seeing all the new projects downtown.

I cant wait to see the new terminal as well.

Hey, major2410, you're just the man officials at RIC need to meet! As transportation planner for Clark County in Nevada, maybe you can urge AmericaWest (USAirways) or another carrier to initiate non-stop service between Richmond International and Las Vegas. Norfolk has direct service via Southwest and I, for one, believe there is a good market in Central Virginia for such service.

I hope you have availed yourself of Richmond in Pictures I, II and III as well as other Metro Richmond threads.

Welcome back to Richmond. Enjoy the games, and have fun.

Edited by burt

Thats not the kind of planning I do. I'm involved in roadway and transit planning. Coordination with land use plans.

What Markons saying is that VCU ond odu need to win the tournament to be sure of going to the NCAA. The winner gets an automatic bid. If you dont win the tournament then you have to rely on the selection committee. Total crap shoot

Edited by majors2410

Did anybody attend the GMU/JMU tournament game last night at the Richmond Coliseum? The Times Dispatch reported on the game (and others), so we know that GMU won. But the newspaper did not include attendance figures and colorful features notes...at least, on line.

Edited by burt

Someone did, yes :), and also witnessed a win for Mason. Let's hope the stars align (there is an lunar eclipse today) so that Mason can finally beat Hofstra.

Yep, I was there also. One player from GMU couldn't miss from three! I went to the VCU "home game" today against GSU and they looked awesome. GO RAMS!

Yep, I was there also. One player from GMU couldn't miss from three! I went to the VCU "home game" today against GSU and they looked awesome. GO RAMS!

Did ther Rams win today? I checked on cable TV Sports channels, and every Conference EXCEPT CAA was mentioned.

Wow! Mason blew out ODU tonight! Definitely didn't expect that to happen but I'll take it. Let's hope VCU is feeling merciful tomorrow night!

Both of yesterday's games were televised on a cable channel here in NYCity, and I sure did enjoy watching VCU drub Drexel before a full house at The Richmond Coliseum.

Then I watched GMU/ODU, and those big Patriot bruisers scared hell out of me! The Rams are going to have to play extra well tonight to wrap this tournament up!

Go RAMS! :thumbsup:

As of last night, fewer than 1000 seats were available for tonight's final.

Coupe, are you staying in town for the game, or will you have to be back at GMU for classes?