Richmond Sports

eandslee

While it may not be good for people who are still hustling for tickets, it's good news for Ticketmaster and Richmond and the CAA:

The CAA Tournament is quickly selling its tickets. :thumbsup:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2012/mar/01/tickets-dwindling-caa-tournament-ar-1733479/

While 300 tickets remain for the quarterfinals on Saturday (which includes VCU's game at 6), around 1,300 remain for the semifinals, and 1,700 remain for Monday's championship games. Good. Glad to see such a success in ticket sales. I bet a quarter part of the reason is because of last year's magical Final Four run :thumbsup:

What a boon for Richmond! What I can't understand is how the CAA continues to stay in Richmond despite the condition of the Coliseum! I'm not complaining at this point, but Richmond will have to do something soon if they are to keep this tourny. I sort of wish the CAA would put some pressure on Richmond so that things will get moving, but the CAA seems quite content with what they've got (Richmond will never budge if that's the CAA's thinking). Anyway, just my two cents. As of right now though, all of this is good for Richmond and I like that!

Eric - do you remember the CAA pitching a fit a few years ago? It prompted the City to spend a couple million bucks on some critical improvements at the Coliseum. I love having the tournament here (other than the home court advantage for VCU), and I also agree we need a new arena. Just need some consensus to build it because it won't be cheap.

Here's an idea:

http://www.newrichmondcoliseum.org/The_Solution.html

Eric - do you remember the CAA pitching a fit a few years ago? It prompted the City to spend a couple million bucks on some critical improvements at the Coliseum. I love having the tournament here (other than the home court advantage for VCU), and I also agree we need a new arena. Just need some consensus to build it because it won't be cheap.

Here's an idea:

http://www.newrichmo...e_Solution.html

I've seen this idea before - I really like it and it seems to make sense with little impact on the public/citizens. I'm just surprised it hasn't gained more traction. Am I missing something here because it appears to be a near perfect solution?!

Ah, yes, now that you mentioned it, I do remember the CAA pitching the fit. I hope they turn up the burner a little bit more though - I think it might help get things moving in the right direction. The aforementioned solution should work...I believe so anyway.

Edited by eandslee

First results are in from the CAA Tournament:

JMU falls to UNCWilmington 70-59.

Wilmington will go up against Drexel tomorrow.

From the RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...son-ar-1735540/

Speaking of that JMU-UNCW game,

CAA's YouTube account, CAASportsProductions, has already uploaded highlights from that game.

Also, even though I am a loud and proud Ram fan, I am rather saddened by JMUs loss.... that's one less VA team, and I always picutred JMU as the fourth best in the CAA (behind ODU (3rd,) GMU (2nd,) and of course VCU

EDIT: oops, hehe, almost forgot the actual video :blush:

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

Well folks, its official. I will be sitting side by side with 11,991 other people at a sold out Richmond Coliseum for tomorrows game with VCU facing off against the Northeastern Huskies at 6 PM. It will be the quarterfinals games of the CAA Tournament, and my wife will be at home. Something gives me a feeling that all the screaming and madness will be too much for the baby in her belly :shades:, and on that note, my wife is expecting any day now, we are guessing around this week sometime :yahoo: I want it to be a St. Mary's baby. Also, on the note of Northeastern, they beat William & Mary today, ending one of W&M's worst seasons yet. Huskies 57, W&M 49. People have officially confirmed that the RVA Coliseum is sold out tomorrow :thumbsup:

I just discovered that all games of the CAA Tournament starting today are on ESPN3. :yahoo: Click below is a link:

http://espn.go.com/w...0#type/livenow/

That's good news, Eric. I'll be watching ESPN3 at 6PM tonight when VCU goes up against Northeastern.

Our friend RVA-Is-The-Best will be in the stands (unless he's called away to St. Mary's Hospital for the birth of his child.) :good:

Well folks, you are hearing from Ram Fan #2 (Chris (Pav) Crowley cements the #1 spot) live from the Richmond Coliseum! It's about 6:17, and I am typing with my iPhone and cheering on the Rams as they hustle with the Huskies with a chance to move on to tomorrow's semifinals! Hopefully, you can tune in to Comcast SportsNet (channel 334 with FiOS) and see me on TV! (I'll give you a hint: I'm wearing gold :thumbsup::rofl: ) And VCU is now as I type, is leading, 11-3.

Well folks, you are hearing from Ram Fan #2 (Chris (Pav) Crowley cements the #1 spot) live from the Richmond Coliseum! It's about 6:17, and I am typing with my iPhone and cheering on the Rams as they hustle with the Huskies with a chance to move on to tomorrow's semifinals! Hopefully, you can tune in to Comcast SportsNet (channel 334 with FiOS) and see me on TV! (I'll give you a hint: I'm wearing gold :thumbsup::rofl: ) And VCU is now as I type, is leading, 11-3.

RVA, hope you're enjoying the game. It just flashed up on one of ESPN's channels that VCU is ahead by about 8 points (7:17PM), but am unable to access any of the channels that might be covering the game. I'm in New York City and none of the available Fios channels is covering the CAA. Keep us posted, please.

And VCU takes NU, folks, 75-65 :)

VCU will now face either George Mason or Georgia State tomorrow. I just called my wife, who was sleeping. She says she expects it to come tomorrow. :)

So I can enjoy GMU-GSU game in peace.

EDIT: It meaning the baby, of course :P

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

I wish I could watch today's CAA games but they're not being shown in the NY area. ODU/Drexel at 2PM and VCU/GMU at 4:30PM

You could have watched them online at www.espn3.com - I watched both games today online! It was nice! Couldn't believe the start VCU had in their game...I thought for sure that they would slaughter GMU, but GMU came back to haunt VCU. Hope VCU wins Monday night - it will be a tough game!