Richmond Sports

eandslee

Thought this would be an appropriate thread to place this story. Talks about how even vistors think the coliseum needs to be replaced. Read the whole story to learn about what the city has to say about it in response to what vistors have to say about it.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/local-news/2012/mar/05/tdmet01-even-visitors-say-richmond-coliseum-needs--ar-1740184/

Well, the RTD probably will have it up any second, but let's break it anyway in college basketball terms:

The Rams are going to the Big Dance!!! :yahoo: :yahoo:

One good turn deserves another, watching at home (because VCU students camped outside the Box Office and sold out the tickets) with my wife and Carrie :thumbsup: .

I was on the 6th row of the orchestra at the Al Hirshfield Theatre on 45th Street.

When, at intermission, I asked my lady friend to turn on her magic phone. the score was 57 VCU to 56 Drexel with about 13 seconds to play.

VCU wrapped it up winning 59 to 56. My nearby seat mates were almost as thrilled as I. Then, the curtain went up on the second act.

Later at a cast party the bar room TV's flashed the win -- although I was probably the only one watching. :good:

Edited by burt

Maybe Richmond is practicing for The World Cycling Championships expected to bring nearly half-a-million visitors and participants to the region in 2015. :good:

Sports events of the non-professional type are big business in Greater Richmond. Beginning today, this will be "one of the biggest weekends for tourism in the region" says Jon Lugbil, director of Sports Backers speaking of field hockey teen groups decending on The Greater Richmond Convention Center.

Over 24,000 hotel room nights have been booked for field hockey and other sporting groups in the next three weeks.

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ey--ar-1751885/

Great for the Convention Center, but... Driving down Broad Street today, I saw a terrified family standing on the corner of 3rd and brought with feld hockey sticks in hand. My guess is that they were uninformed and looking for a lunch spot within walking distance, but instead were surrounded by blight and litter.

Here's to Broad Street's renaissance picking up steam as the economy improves!

Even though it's Spring Break on the VCU campus hundreds turned out to wish the Rams success in Portland (OR.)

About 115 people, including coaches, players, cheerleaders and band members flew out this afternoon from RIC on a chartered plane.

I wonder if anyone we might know was among the well-wishers -- like Baby Carrie's father? :shades:

From today's RTD:

http://www2.timesdis...ent-ar-1762841/

Even though it's Spring Break on the VCU campus hundreds turned out to wish the Rams success in Portland (OR.)

About 115 people, including coaches, players, cheerleaders and band members flew out this afternoon from RIC on a chartered plane.

I wonder if anyone we might know was among the well-wishers -- like Baby Carrie's father? :shades:

From today's RTD:

BE SURE TO SEE THIS:

In the Comments below this RTD story, someone says that he just heard that "a detailed and behind the scenes look at last year's Final Four run" will air on TruTV at 5:30PM tomorrow (Thursday March 15th.) It's titled VCU CONFIDENTIAL.

From today's RTD:

You bet I'm wishing the best to our Rams! :thumbsup:

Hell, if I had the money, I'd fly out myself out West. But of course my baby needs more focus right now. Oh, and that VCU Confidential is set to record on my DVR! :good: I have been reading a lot of bracketology reports lately, and a lot of focus is on VCU - Wichita... most don't have a very positive lookout for the Rams, but that won't stop us from doing what we do best :good: Also have DVR set to record the game tomorrow. Haven't heard anything from Jay Bilas or Dickie V, lately....

CBS will carry the NCAA games. VCU tips off with Wichita State tonight at 7:15, but you might want to tune in at 7 o'clock.

Remember, TruTV will carry their special titled VCU; CONFIDENTIAL beginning at 5:30PM today TruTV is Channel 183 on Fios here in New York.

Here's Aaron Williams' run down of tonight's game from RVANews.

http://rvanews.com/features/what-to-expect-vcu-faces-wichita-st/57617

VCU wins it in Portland 62-59

Ya beat me to the blog, Burt! :hi:

But yessir! We reject the bracketologists' predictions of Wichita State making it deep in the tourney by shunning them by 3 points. At one point in the game, we were up by 13, but Wichita St. played it close, getting as far as taking the lead, before Bradford Burgess hit a key three, and Troy Daniels made a shaky layup. It ended with a desperate heave by a Wichita State player to tie it up, which bounced off the rim and was rejected by a VCU player. Welcome to round 3, Rams. Now the Indiana-New Mexico St. game is on. The winner of this will face our Rams for a berth in the Sweet 16. I'm praying NM will take it so it will be an easy win for us :rofl: I know, I'm selfish, but after all, if we play Indiana, we will be at risk of quite a lot....

But for tonight, the Rams can rest steady, as they took the game by 3. Good job, Rams :thumbsup:

Tim Pearrell covered the game for The Times Dispatch in Portland:

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/

Click "Pre-game -- VCU Fans" among others in the Related box.

:offtopic: Portland has a nice arena.

With all the talk about a new facility in Richmond, IMO The Commonwealth of Virginia should be a big contributor. After all, Richmond IS the capital city and as such should be a showplace for the entire state. If built to top standards with high capacity, and if properly managed and marketed, a Central Virginia arena would attract many big events.

So far, still no VCU Confidential, Syracuse-UNC Ash game just finished.

Side note: the description on FiOS for the documentary says "Head coach Shaka Smart and the Rams prepare for their matchup against BULTER. :rofl:

GO RAMS!

The TruTV VCU: CONFIDENTIAL documentary went on about 6:17PM last night and was excellent.