Richmond Sports

eandslee

If Richmond were in the International League and had attracted the number of fans it did this year in The Eastern League (438,002 -- average, 6,257), it would rank 8th in a field of 14 teams in a league that has not yet finished its season (note: none of the teams in the International as of today have played more than 70 games which is where Richmond was when The Eastern League ended its regular season.)

LehighValley (Allentown) leads the IL after 70 games with 622,421.

Gwinnett, which inherited the Richmond Braves has drawn 327,584 (4,680 average per game.)

http://www.milb.com/...id=117&sid=l117

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It would seem VCU Athletics has revamped it's website with the new logos and branding for the Atlantic 10 debut.

http://www.vcuathlet...m/landing/index

An "A-10 Celebration" is being held at Sports Backers Stadium.

http://www.vcuathlet...A10-Celebration

And it seems even the new basketball court floor in the Stu has the new logo style too! :thumbsup:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151186702569101&set=pb.16205404100.-2207520000.1349296198&type=1&theater

VCU is getting really excited as it nears it's debut to basketball's hottest conference! :thumbsup:

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

• 2 weeks later...

I wish City Stadium was chosen...although this site will be good location to Boulevard's good sports/entertainment district that's forming well. And City Stadium hopefully will still get the attention and TLC it wants and needs. :) Very much excited. Also, I believe an update by that RTD article states Bon Secours as a sponsor. :) It also mentions other economic development opportunities. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

The VCU Rams play the Wichita State Shockers tonight (Tuesday November 13th) at The Siegel Center.

Game time: 7PM.

For those of you who don't have tickets tune in to ESPNU (that's channel 573 on Fios here in New York.)

I have tickets for a show tonight but will be able to see the first half hour of the game since the theatre is only 3 blocks away and show time is at 8.

HAVOC!!! :good:

What a heartbreaker!! :(

I saw the game beginning to end (dedicated Ram Nation :D :D) and the Rams would always trail the Shockers by a mere free throw or field goal.... speaking of which, VCU really needs work on those free throws.... those free throws at the end by (I think it was Juvonte Reddic) were crucial, and was msised just BARELY, making those two free throws -- a no go.... :(

Tough loss, but definitely a learning experience for the Rams! The next game is this Saturday, at Winthrop. :)

I saw the game.  VCU looked good, but they let a 21-point game in the first half slip to, at one point, a 6-point game in the second half.  Still, they delivered Belmont their first loss.  I think that the tournament they attended in the Bahamas really helped them with perspective and has pin-pointed the areas they need to work on.  If they master those trouble areas of play, I think that VCU can be a force to be reckoned with.  We'll see what happens.  Good game tonight!

Virginia Beach leaders are in discussions with Comcast-Spectator, a Philadelphia based sports and entertainment company, about building an 18,500-seat arena near the oceanfront. 

It would be built only on the assurance of attracting a pro basketball (or hockey) team as a tenant.  The Sacramento Kings are the bait.

If an agreement is reached, a temporary home would be needed while the VB arena is under construction.  And that could be The Richmond Coliseum.

Read more from today's RTD:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/latest-news-ap/va-beach-says-nba-team-could-temporarily-play-in-richmond/article_fca42d3a-3ec0-11e2-a5a0-0019bb30f31a.html

Hey there, I'm down in Norfolk, and am of course following the developments. I know there was light talk of whether Hampton Roads and Richmond could ever merge, thus creating a region of 3 million. 

Great idea in theory, but I think it's quite a ways off. That being said, I think the idea of playing games in Richmond as well as Norfolk (there's talk of using ODU's home arena as well) could be a great first step. I'm all for regionalism, and making a statewide team!

Hey there, I'm down in Norfolk, and am of course following the developments. I know there was light talk of whether Hampton Roads and Richmond could ever merge, thus creating a region of 3 million. 

Great idea in theory, but I think it's quite a ways off. That being said, I think the idea of playing games in Richmond as well as Norfolk (there's talk of using ODU's home arena as well) could be a great first step. I'm all for regionalism, and making a statewide team!

Thanks for visiting, BFG.

$42 million is budgeted to off-set financial losses while the team plays in a smaller venue pending completion of the 18,500-seat VB arena.  The Richmond Coliseum has about 2,000 more seats (for basketball) than any of the Hampton Roads facilities.  Also, The Ted at ODU (capacity about 9,000) is heavily booked with university events and may not have sufficient availability. 

So, in addition to being financially advantageous to Comcast-Spectacor, playing games in the1.3million Richmond market would build a tremendous fan base.

Edited by burt