Richmond Sports

eandslee

Jay Bilas, who's a prominent ESPN college bball analyst, was on the local radio down here in Charlotte today. He thinks VCU will make it to the Final Four. They have very favorable matchups in their bracket for their style of play. Can't say I would be surprised to see them back there. 

Let's hope so. Every day in the tournament amounts to great free press for VCU and Richmond.

The pep band has been getting a lot of love too. I've read a few articles about the team on sites like CBS and ESPN that mention how good the band is.

Indeed. And about that, the RTD has posted a little article on VCU hoops success and it's spotlight effect on the university and region as a whole.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/college/basketball/ncaa-mens/vcu-basketball-success-boosts-region/article_690bd171-bb4c-54e4-908f-877e3373bd4b.html

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

• 3 weeks later...

While VCU's former opponent Michigan faces off against Louisville in the National Championship tonight, most of Ram Nation is already looking towards the next season, including a slew of fresh, new recruits, and familiar faces in returning starters.

Meanwhile, senior TROY DANIELS has won the national 3-pointer champion title, something Ram fans have probably recognized already and applauding. Troy is graduating this year, and his relentless trey hitting ability will be missed be fans all over, as well has hoped for in some of the new recruits next season.

As for achievements, RVANews reminds us Ram fans that this season is more than just another season.

http://rvanews.com/sports/havoc-4-0-a-new-standard/89583

In the article you will be reiterated on the fact that our star coach has lead us (in order of season) to a CBI championship, a Final Four appearance, and two Round of 32 finishes straight. Every year has been full of excitement, and his commitment to staying (a national sports phenomena each year) shows that we have a lot to look forward heading into the future. Even local companies are banking on this: MWV has helped supply funds towards the new basketball training facility, and Health Diagnostic Laboratory (HDL, Inc.) is sponsoring (as well as supplementing funds) to the unified "Athletic Village" of VCU Athletics.

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best

So I was thinking about the Flying Squirrels, The Diamond and the prospects of a Shockoe Bottom stadium today (primarily in response to this story: http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2013/04/12/weimans-owners-are-ready-to-play-ball/).

And I do believe I may have just had a change-of-heart.

For reference, I was always a pretty strong proponent of a downtown baseball stadium (or even a stadium in Manchester).

But now, I'm more inclined to support a replacement of the current Diamond.

My reasoning: Simply put, Shockoe Bottom doesn't need a downtown stadium.

We talk about the downtown stadium as being a catalyst for development in the area (which I believe is true), but in reality, Shockoe Bottom (and the whole of downtown) is doing pretty darn good on it's own. The restaurants are there. The residents are there (and more are coming everyday!). There are bars. There are businesses. Shockoe Bottom will be alright with or without the stadium.

The Boulevard (north of Broad) and Scott's Addition, on the other hand, could really benefit from becoming the permanent home of the Flying Squirrels -- and I believe it already has to some degree. Though there are certainly many factors at play, I think the presence of the Flying Squirrels has really spurred some of the much-needed development in the area. There are already hundreds of new residents who have arrived in that neighborhood over the last few years and there are hundreds of new housing units in the pipeline (I'd guess at least 500 have been announced...probably more). There are new bars and restaurants opening in the area and I'm inclined to believe it had something to do with baseball. That area is really picking up momentum and is primed to become one of Richmond's next "hip", prosperous, redeveloped neighborhoods. The last think that area needs is a punch-to-the-gut of a departing baseball team. [Note: I think that area will be fine either way, but I think if baseball left the area, it could really slow down the development).

I'm OK with using "civic pride" assets to spur development, but I think we should focus it in the areas that actually need it and where we have the most potential -- especially in places like the Boulevard and Scott's Addition that are so close to seeing that change.

Shockoe bottom still needs something on all that ugly asphalt. I don't see anyone building anything else there. Everybody is missing the big picture here. A stadium downtown is accessible to pedestrians, bicycles and by city bus. The boulevard site is accessible only to cars. No one ever walks to a game at the diamond. Huge deference that all the proponents of the Diamond seem to miss. Less pollution and traffic in the bottom. The boulevard is better for the counties and their to selfish to help pay for it.

Edited by majors2410

^^ Agreed.

And besides, with Movieland, I would think it would be a good entertainment/destination retail district. Shockoe Bottom would be the residential/sports district. And besides, the city is already looking to relocate the city departments out of those awful industrial one-storied buildings and get something good going on. I imagine someplace walkable like the Bottom would be a little better than someplace not exactly walkable. The Boulevard area is just starting to get good. Let's make sure it gets the proper attractions.

And yes, the Bottom is doing good on it's own, but it can't get any better than a stadium ;)

Plus Main Street Station's train shed project, the possible Nat'l Slavery Museum, everything would piece itself together. The stadium is quite a huge piece.

While I am all for Shockoe Bottom being cleaned up but what honestly makes anyone think that the stadium they build is gonna draw enough people to each game from the city and counties to keep it in town. I hate saying this but if you put the new stadium in Shockoe Bottom it is doomed for failure along with insane traffic congestion. How many people do you honestly see walking to any type of sports complex anymore? Football Stadiums Baseball stadiums and even Arena's don't draw hardly anything from the people living around it. I hate to be a downer but I just don't see this working out unless you can improve the roads surrounding it or at least make some massive traffic improvements. The cities infrastructure for a ballpark in shockoe bottom is nowhere near ready to handle it. The only way you are going to get people to watch a ball game at the new stadium is if there is some type of shuttle bus or some type of shuttle service transporting people from the game to there car in another location. If you are relying on people that only walk places then that is very far fetched and wish wash. Plus the majority of people who support the squirrels are from outside the city. Yes I love Richmond and all but moving the ballpark to an area where the traffic is bad enough and is gonna get extremely bad with beyond horrific infrastructure and roads/transportation in the bottom is just a terribly thought out idea. Also with the amound of bars and clubs that will surround it you are asking for trouble. I mean honestly would I really wanna bring children to the bottom where there are people getting drunk and fighting over stuff as well as gunshots going off. I mean I know for sure I wouldn't dare take my kid to a place like that if I had one. Until you clean up the crap around the area then it will never prosper. 

If the ball park is in a pedestrian accessible area many people walk bike or take transit to the ball park. It is all about where the park is located. In the bottom at least 25% to 30% of the trips will be made by walk, bike or  transit. No one walks to a game at the diamond because you can't. Thinking that no one will walk is a big part of the problem. The games are very popular. People will go to the games.

Edited by majors2410

Yeah but what part do you not understand that the majority of people who support the Squirrels are from the suburbs. Most of them being Families. The city on its own with the surround neighborhoods cant do it on its own. It is a very short sighted way of looking at the idea. I just find this is gonna fail majorly if you rely on people within close distance to be the only ones to attend a ball game. I just think its gonna fail if you are trying to count out the suburban families. Its just not gonna happen because no family wants to take there kid to an area of the city like that. Its not a good environment for a young boy or girl with bars and clubs surrounding that area. Honestly have you ever been to a ball game? If so please do tell me what type of person attends a ball game at just about any stadium in the US? Is it a bunch of local empty nesters or retired folks? Is it families from suburbia with children who most of them are part of some type of youth sports group? I just find this completely illogical of an idea that is not gonna please the majority of people in Richmond. 

Its just not gonna happen because no family wants to take there kid to an area of the city like that. Its not a good environment for a young boy or girl with bars and clubs surrounding that area. 

Speak for yourself. You sound like an uncultured suburbanite. I live in the Fan with two young children and would have no problem taking them to Shockoe Bottom for a baseball game. I've taken them numerous times to the canal, river, 17th St. market place (for festivals), Church Hill (for festivals), Coliseum, Convention Center and have NEVER had an issue.

I've also taken them to a couple baseball games at the Diamond and I find the stadium extremely non-friendly for parents with little kids. The only elevator is buried deep in the stadium guts and it is super inconvenient. There are no quick and easy restaurants to walk to after parking or any other attractions (i.e. - the Canal) nearby.

I'm all for a Shockoe Bottom ballpark assuming the Squirrels foot a majority of the bill.

Boston's main club district is surrounding Fenway Park so I disagree on the clubs being an issue (though some can certainly go).  Even so, my prediction is that Shockoe Bottom will no longer be a club district within the next decade as property values increase due to the residential developments and a stadium would further inflate property values.  I am still mixed on the proposed sites so here are my views.

SHOCKOE BOTTOM:

The Shockoe Bottom site has great access to Downtown, East and South Counties and walkability to nearby residential.  The stadium would have direct access to the proposed BRT line and to any potential regional rail/transportation hub.  There is plenty of food options in the immediate area as well as clubs, the Canal Walk and city parks and commercial development near the canal may be generated.  The land that is available is lacking in proposed development due to drainage issues which may be less of a burdon on a baseball field.  Games would have a nice view of the city.

Access to the Shockoe location would need serious improvements for traffic coming down S-I95/E-I64 (North and West counties).  Traffic would either need to be routed around/through MSS  via E. Franklin St. or 17th and 18th Streets would need to be improved (18th to one way).  With drainage improvements the land may be better used for higher density developments.  While some businesses may be created many others may fail due to the increase in property values and the NIMBY effect may harm the current momentum of residential development.  Due to the surrounding developments, fireworks may need to cease.

MANCHESTER:

The South Reynolds property has decent access to Downtown, East, North and South Counties.  Currently there is plenty of available land with great skyline views adn fireworks would still be possible.  The nearby breweries (Legend, Blue Bee) and possibly the art galleries would benefit from the visiting sports fans and the stadium may be a catalyst for much needed commercial development.

The Manchester site currently has poor direct access to the Interstates compared to the other sites, though improvements to the Maury St. ramps could be implemented to resolve.  Unless the stadium spurs nearby commercial growth, restaurant and shops are lacking in the area.

BOULEVARD:

The current Boulevard location has great access for both city and county residents via the Bryan Park interchange.  With the adjacent freight and passenger (Amtrak) railine a station platform could easily be added if a regional rail system were to be implemented.  Many restaurants and attractions (Movieland, Sports Backers Stadium, Redskins Training Camp) are popping up within reasonable walking distance to the stadium location and a proper redevelopment of the site could create much more oppurtunity. With the addition of a shuttle service access to Carytown and Museums could be added.  There are also very few NIMBY effects due to lack of nearby residential.

Some issues are that the current stadium location is not within immediate proximity to the proposed BRT line and is a bit of a walk from residential centers, though shuttle services could help to resolve. If the Stadium were to move it would open up potential for many BigBox developments that City residents currently have to travel to the counties for.  Any new development of the stadium would also have to work around the current stadium.

JSI- Oh yeah are you are one of the few and families in the city are a thing of the past, You are probably the minority with a family of 4 or however many and to be honest the majority of families live in the suburbs now because of schools better shopping options and the list is endless. Sadly I just know what is gonna take place with a shockoe bottom stadium. You won't see families coming from the West End of Henrico and Midlothian area's or any other super family oriented area of richmond metro coming to a squirrels game. People will definitely find this an even more unfriendly place to see a ball game more so than the diamond. At least with the diamond you can build around it on lots and other things that are not operable anymore with very convenient highway access from 95 near 64. Coming into downtown Richmond to see a ball game in Shockoe bottom especially a 6 PM game when people are still getting off work is even gonna make 95 beyond terrible than it already is. Good luck in gridlock and getting to a ball game close to the 4th inning. If you can't make more accessible on and off ramps off of 95 and make maybe a few parking garages as well as a better roads system then the majority of people from the suburbs being families are not gonna put up with it but for so long. Because last I check the roads going through Shockoe Bottom are beyond terrible more so than the roads around the diamond. Like I said before you can't rely on people walking and biking to a baseball game all the time. Its just not gonna happen. Plus who has the money nowadays to do anything before or after a ball game to get a bite to eat or something to drink. By the time you leave a ball park you are about plumb broke from spending money on tickets drinks food or whatever else goes on. But if you just buy a ticket and watch the game with no food or drink then maybe afterwards you can possibly do something but people are not gonna go spend money after a ball game after they have spent a bunch at the ballpark. Times are still tough people people still live on a budget. This isn't fantasy land where you can go splurge all the money you want or have.

Thats kind of crazy you know - sorry to hear you cant afford dinner or drinks, but there are alot of people who do it every night! (Hadn't you wondered how all these cool new restaraunts thrive?) Believe me - there are definitely people who go out, and the best places are all downtown. How many thousands of people have moved within a few blocks of that site in the past few years? If you never go out, that would explain how you're not aware of how cool downtown has become recently. You should try it, you'll like it - I'll buy you a drink!

And its just not realistic to think people arent allready bringing kids downtown for lots of  things - Bottoms Up is one of my favorite places to take my kids for dinner, and its allways packed (and there are allways other families there). The canal walk, events on Browns island, events at the farmers market, etc. You can choose to live in a suburban bubble and justify it by trashtalking the city, but those of us who actually know whats going on down there know better!

Not sure about traffic - it may be worse (afterall there are PEOPLE there allready), but that exchange at 95 & Broad is easy in all directions, and its just a couple of blocks from the expressway.

Sorry, Burg, but I'm calling crap on your assertion that suburbanites won't take their families to that part of town. I live out here in the Short Pump area, and I'm actually MORE likely to take my family to a game in Shockoe Bottom than I am to take them to a game on the Boulevard. My kids (girl 14 and boy 12) LOVE to take trips downtown and I LOVE to take them down there. And my wife and I try to get down there as often as we can for date nights, as well.

The Shockoe Bottom/Slip area are more of a destination than that desert out on the Boulevard. Although the area is more "clubby" right now, it's only because that's the demographic of who currently goes down there. If there were more families coming down there to visit, the restaurants that are down there now, will certainly begin to offer more of a dual club/family atmosphere, and there would invariably be an influx of new restaurants that would offer the same.

Edited by Culpeper Hokie

[sNIP]

Not sure about traffic - it may be worse (afterall there are PEOPLE there allready), but that exchange at 95 & Broad is easy in all directions, and its just a couple of blocks from the expressway.

Since most are not going to spend the 70 cents on the Downtown Expressway, the nearby connection to Broad St. (East) from West End / Northside would be the 15th St. Exit > E. Main St. > 18th St.  Traffic could be handled relatively easily up until 17th-18th St. to which point something would need to be changed.  Possible changes could be turning 17th St. around the Farmer's market into a streamlined entry, reconfiguring 18th St. to One-Way Northbound, or taking traffic around the West and North sides of MSS.  Other possible routes could be to reconnect 16th St. via the small MSS parking lot and/or Bank St. could be extended North to Broad St.  Traffic exiting the Stadium would already have smooth access to I-95/64 via Broad St. Exits.

...yeah, and dont forget they're already planning on re-connecting Franklin theough the train shed which would help traffic from north/west getting off on 15th (of couse those of us coming from the south already have great access to 17th).

But Im not sure how it would fit without taking some buildings down (you couldnt fit the current Diamond down there). I'd like to see some renderings of how it moight work (Im skeptical) - it'd be real nice to see how it might work along with the planned plaza/farmers market or whatever they're planning outside of the train shed on 17th.

I remember from a few years ago when they first had plans for this that it would have involved significant infrastructure that would have changed the flood plain and opened up surrounding lots for development

...yeah, and dont forget they're already planning on re-connecting Franklin theough the train shed which would help traffic from north/west getting off on 15th (of couse those of us coming from the south already have great access to 17th).

But Im not sure how it would fit without taking some buildings down (you couldnt fit the current Diamond down there). I'd like to see some renderings of how it moight work (Im skeptical) - it'd be real nice to see how it might work along with the planned plaza/farmers market or whatever they're planning outside of the train shed on 17th.

I remember from a few years ago when they first had plans for this that it would have involved significant infrastructure that would have changed the flood plain and opened up surrounding lots for development

I believe the cut-through under MSS was to be for pedestrian/cycling access only.

• 2 weeks later...

It really is looking nice and has been amazing to watch. I wish everything could be built this quickly!

Yeah, an indoor arena and a new baseball stadium would be nice to have this quickly.  The baseball stadium is on the "Southwest Airlines timetable;" meaning that it's been more than a decade in the making and there still hasn't been a scratch to break ground.  A new arena will likely not happen for another 30 years if it follows the same plan.  Seems like the only catalyst is a MAJOR LEAGUE team like the Redskins!  We need a Major League team to get things moving as fast as the training facility.