Richmond Sports

eandslee

5 hours ago, eandslee said:

I wonder what this is all about?  Another contract with the Redskins?

https://www.nbc12.com/2020/03/09/mayor-stoney-will-hold-press-conference-with-redskins-head-coach-ron-rivera/

Hopefully, The Redskins will be adding bleachers of some sort to accommodate fans (I’ve only been to The Panthers practice facility and their were bleachers) ... and The Redskins will be footing the bill.  

Atlantic 10 Conference cancels its tournament in NYC while VCU and UMASS were getting ready to take the floor in today's game. Virtually all of the major conferences have done the same. The NCAA had announced that its tournament was going to be held without spectators, but several teams have said they are going to withdraw and not play. That tournament will likely be canceled as well. I feel bad for all the kids who worked hard to get their teams to this point, only to have their dreams come to an abrupt end. But the alternative could have been worse.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/vcu-peppas-fans-dance-through-their-sadness-after-a-/article_3c300ec4-647f-11ea-a05a-53f73e2b3e70.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Henrico Weather said:

Atlantic 10 Conference cancels its tournament in NYC while VCU and UMASS were getting ready to take the floor in today's game. Virtually all of the major conferences have done the same. The NCAA had announced that its tournament was going to be held without spectators, but several teams have said they are going to withdraw and not play. That tournament will likely be canceled as well. I feel bad for all the kids who worked hard to get their teams to this point, only to have their dreams come to an abrupt end. But the alternative could have been worse.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/vcu-peppas-fans-dance-through-their-sadness-after-a-/article_3c300ec4-647f-11ea-a05a-53f73e2b3e70.html

Ditto the ACC. Just announced today in Greensboro right before the tipoff of one of the Q-final games.

Oh my...

https://www.roanoke.com/sports/college/acc-cancels-remainder-of-men-s-basketball-tournament/article_4ced1c04-9c4c-5b5c-8001-9267771259ce.html

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

This is stunning... 

I just can’t handle it.  This is my favorite time of the year for sports (love college basketball) and it’s being stripped from me (damn Chinese)!  Why couldn’t this happen during baseball season - don’t care for baseball!  LOL!

37 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I just can’t handle it.  This is my favorite time of the year for sports (love college basketball) and it’s being stripped from me (damn Chinese)!  Why couldn’t this happen during baseball season - don’t care for baseball!  LOL!

I feel ya, bro. Personally, I'm grateful this didn't happen during the NFL season. I think i might have snapped and gone on a world-wide rampage had my beloved pro football been interrupted. Hopefully this gets under control. It's starting to feel apocalyptic now.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 3:24 PM, Henrico Weather said:

In a way, I'm kind of glad this whole season kind of skidded off the rails bc as a big Rams follower, so did our team in the past month lol (started with a surprise loss to Mason....ended up turning into something like a 5 game losing streak and crash into 9th place going into the A10 tournament. I guess the mass confusion that marred the end of the season will hopefully make people forget the fact VCU spectacularly crashed and burned at the end of conference play. Feel bad for all the non traditional/powerhouse teams that were doing well (UMD, Rutgers, Dayton, SDSU) though...

Edited by RVA-Is-The-Best
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

In a way, I'm kind of glad this whole season kind of skidded off the rails bc as a big Rams follower, so did our team in the past month lol (started with a surprise loss to Mason....ended up turning into something like a 5 game losing streak and crash into 9th place going into the A10 tournament. I guess the mass confusion that marred the end of the season will hopefully make people forget the fact VCU spectacularly crashed and burned at the end of conference play. Feel bad for all the non traditional/powerhouse teams that were doing well (UMD, Rutgers, Dayton, SDSU) though...

Agreed. A season that started out with such promise (even a brief appearance in the Top-25) really went off the rails late. Hoping our Rams can reset and retool for next season.

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Urbs42 said:

Always encouraged by the news coverage around this project that seems to drip every 3-4 months. But gotta say, I'm ready for the big announcement showing the final plans with a start date. 

No kidding! I'm starting now to hope I'll live long enough to see this thing get built (given the pace at which they have been (not) moving.) :tw_neutral:

• 2 months later...

This came from one of those click-bait things that frequently pop up in your feeds, that require you to click "Next" through some incessant list of screens, just to get a morsel of information. So, I've saved you the clicks, and just posted the link to the most pertinent screen. This is a slideshow purporting to show the most likely new cities to get an NFL franchise the next time they expand. Don't know who's wishful thinking this is, but they obviously haven't been paying attention to the sports stadium quagmire that is Richmond. Anyhow, here it is for your entertainment.... https://mindyourdollars.com/news/nfl-expansion-cities/3/

3 hours ago, Henrico Weather said:

This came from one of those click-bait things that frequently pop up in your feeds, that require you to click "Next" through some incessant list of screens, just to get a morsel of information. So, I've saved you the clicks, and just posted the link to the most pertinent screen. This is a slideshow purporting to show the most likely new cities to get an NFL franchise the next time they expand. Don't know who's wishful thinking this is, but they obviously haven't been paying attention to the sports stadium quagmire that is Richmond. Anyhow, here it is for your entertainment.... https://mindyourdollars.com/news/nfl-expansion-cities/3/

Absolutely no chance (and not because of the stadium quagmire).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Henrico Weather said:

Would love to see it, but not sure Richmond is there yet.