Richmond Sports

eandslee

• 2 months later...

33 minutes ago, eandslee said:

NICE!!!

So this facility will have a seating capacity of 3,500 - is that sufficient for a mid-major Division I women's conference tournament?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

NICE!!!

So this facility will have a seating capacity of 3,500 - is that sufficient for a mid-major Division I women's conference tournament?

I suppose so.  I actually thought it would seat 4,500 people, but maybe that is for a different sport (not basketball).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Dunno - maybe they changed it? Here's from the article:

The Sports & Events Center will feature a flexible design, allowing it to accommodate up to 3,500 fans in retractable seating. Amenities will include modern meeting and locker rooms, laundry facilities, lounge and dining areas, broadcast-quality audio and video systems and a hardwood floor that was used in March at the KFC Yum! Center! for the South Regional games of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship.

• 5 months later...

Looks like the Henrico Sports and Event Center is finally complete.  Below is a news article on it. The first event will be this weekend!

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/new-henrico-sports-and-events-center-hosts-first-official-event-october-26-2023

There is a great YouTube video at the end of the article worth watching. I tried to paste it here, but I couldn’t figure it out. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Looks like the Henrico Sports and Event Center is finally complete.  Below is a news article on it. The first event will be this weekend!

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/new-henrico-sports-and-events-center-hosts-first-official-event-october-26-2023

There is a great YouTube video at the end of the article worth watching. I tried to paste it here, but I couldn’t figure it out. 

Here ya go, my friend.  Very much enjoyed the video - I love watching how stuff gets built.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Did any of you know that Richmond has a new American Basketball Association team?!  I was confused when I read that the team will be playing home games at Huguenot High School because frankly, I didn’t even know about the team!  How did this fly under the radar?  It’s not NBA, but hey, it’s something and it gives basketball lovers another team to watch.  Anyway, just thought I’d provide the PSA if you didn’t know already:

https://realabaleague.com/aba-returns-to-richmond-va-for-the-2024-2025-season/

https://southrichmondnews.com/2024/01/22/new-pro-basketball-team-will-play-home-games-at-huguenot-high/

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Did any of you know that Richmond has a new American Basketball Association team?!  I was confused when I read that the team will be playing home games at Huguenot High School because frankly, I didn’t even know about the team!  How did this fly under the radar?  It’s not NBA, but hey, it’s something and it gives basketball lovers another team to watch.  Anyway, just thought I’d provide the PSA if you didn’t know already:

https://realabaleague.com/aba-returns-to-richmond-va-for-the-2024-2025-season/

https://southrichmondnews.com/2024/01/22/new-pro-basketball-team-will-play-home-games-at-huguenot-high/

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLNESS!!!!

Now - I remember the original ABA -- as a kid, I went to Virginia Squires games at the Coliseum. I saw Dr. J, Ice and others playing with the iconic red white and blue basketball for the Squires, and the likes of A-Train, Skywalker, Issel, Bobby Jones - among many many others come in with the many of the other iconic ABA clubs such as Kentucky Colonels, San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets, New York Nets, etc.

Obviously what we have today "ain't your daddy's (or grandaddy's) ABA" - but wow. VERY cool! I wonder if the big arena in GreenCity EVER gets built, if they'd ever play there?

2 hours ago, eandslee said:

Did any of you know that Richmond has a new American Basketball Association team?!  

Well, I do now! Thanks!

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

I wonder if the big arena in GreenCity EVER gets built, if they'd ever play there?

Long story short, I would doubt it. The relaunched ABA (once known as the ABA 2000) has had what seems a wild history, and for a spell it was a repository of notable former college players, but it seems this version is more akin to semi-pro ball. Twenty years ago, they were playing in Kemper Arena. Now, they're playing at high schools and small sports complexes. 

Richmond needs a G-League team.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@RVABizSenseMike has reporting in today's RBS on upgrades and improvements forthcoming at City Stadium. A new, larger, full-video scoreboard, improvements to the main concourse and parking area,  renovating the press box, and the addition of mini fields and Futsal courts on the stadium campus. Mikes reporting includes a good write-up about the Ivy - RVA's new women's soccer club. 

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/03/27/kickers-kicking-off-next-big-upgrade-at-city-stadium/

City-Stadium-scaled.jpg

Richmond-Ivy-shield-206x300.jpg

• Like 3

19 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

@RVABizSenseMike has reporting in today's RBS on upgrades and improvements forthcoming at City Stadium. A new, larger, full-video scoreboard, improvements to the main concourse and parking area,  renovating the press box, and the addition of mini fields and Futsal courts on the stadium campus. Mikes reporting includes a good write-up about the Ivy - RVA's new women's soccer club. 

From today's Richmond BizSense:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/03/27/kickers-kicking-off-next-big-upgrade-at-city-stadium/

City-Stadium-scaled.jpg

Richmond-Ivy-shield-206x300.jpg

Given the popularity of Ted Lasso, the Kickers should rebrand as the Greyhounds (sorry if this has been suggested previously).  The marketing nearly writes itself and maybe Virginia native Jason Sudeikis could make an appearance.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wahoo 07 said:

Given the popularity of Ted Lasso, the Kickers should rebrand as the Greyhounds (sorry if this has been suggested previously).  The marketing nearly writes itself and maybe Virginia native Jason Sudeikis could make an appearance.   

A name synonymous to Richmond would have been better.   Something that markets "this is what Richmond is known for".

44 minutes ago, Shakman said:

A name synonymous to Richmond would have been better.   Something that markets "this is what Richmond is known for".

Hmmm... how 'bout any of the following: image.jpeg.aebf9a7b6c70e7ef26e042a3128790f3.jpeg

Richmond Ukrops

Richmond Thalhimers

Richmond Governors

Richmond Delegates

Richmond Capitals

Richmond Byrds

Richmond Spoonbreads

Richmond Tobacco Leafs (I know - not PC anymore- but a play on the "Toronto Maple Leafs" naming convention)...

Edited by I miss RVA